1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tried the Ultimate Melee Character?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by skillet1197, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Truly, a fighter doesnt have much chance against a well bred cleric. Just what does it have against him?
    thanks to divine power, there's no difference in BAB. HPs do favour fighter, but AC and all types of other protections are incredibly more powerful on the cleric. Perhaps throwing in a rogue level for tumble, use magic device for any other item you might desire. It's really not much of a match between these two. :toofar:

As for a wizard.. i might not be completely correct in this, but while a shapeshifted may have quite terrifying damage output, his BAB is that of a wizard, that is, 1/2 of his level. So the last few attacks arent going to be that much of use against stronger monsters. There's also the fact that you cant really adapt him to anything. He's set with the shapeshift statistics and that's it. If you encounter a particiular monster that has some strange form of attack and cant beat it... well, you're going to have to resort to spells to deal with it.
    I'd still vote in favour of a cleric when comparing him with a wizard.

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Monk1/Cleric19.
    'nuff said.

3. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Most spells a cleric can use, a fighter can get in Potion form. At least the ones that matter is, so you can't really say that a cleric is going to beat him because of spells. The natural ability of a fighter makes him normally more capable, adding magic items and potions makes him part wizard/cleric as he runs around with a bunch of cleric spells. My fighter actually multiclassed into paladin/rogue as well, so I have a ton of scrolls to use in addition to potions, and I'm immune to most of the spells the cleric could even think of flinging at me, + I can easily sneak attack him using potions of invisibility, this goes as well for monsters in a campaign :p , not to mention I have the ability to summon greater fire elementals to tank along side me using scrolls. a Cleric alone just isn't as good as a fighter, and when you multiclass, the fighter gets a ton stronger, where the cleric just loses caster levels for not a whole lot of benefit.

Wizards aren't melee... they do rely on spells, that's why they beat everything. A low level wiz may not be incredibly powerful, but they grow in strength much faster than the other classes. Until about level 4 or 5, a fighter is better than a wizard. Then the wizard gets some awesome spells, and skills. For the most part, no matter how powerful a cleric you are... a wizard with fly and improved invisibility will blast you out of existance :) .

Oh btw, how are we defining the Ultimate melee? is it just raw power? Awesomeness? Ability? Best Tank? Kill power?

I see the ultimate melee as being the best at everything melee, I'm not sure how to describe it beyond that. Someone how knows all the melee tricks I guess. What do you guys think?

[ November 22, 2004, 04:15: Message edited by: omnigodly ]

4. skillet1197 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just an update for you all, I got my wings! Still don't understand why they give you wings at lvl 9 and then at lvl 10 you become half dragon. I think that they should of given me the wings when I become half dragon at lvl 10. Maybe it is because I have been drinking to much Red Bull, and that is why I got my wings alittle early. :) J/K. But seriously I think that the wings should somehow have a purpose. Like to fly over things. Personally I think it is worthless. But I am having fun with the Ultimate Melee character build. Until next time.

11-25-2004

Well I just finished the OC. And frankly I felt that the final boss was far to easy. I think that the Baylor(s) were more difficult then Morag.

Can you recruit Arabeth (sp?) to help you fight the final boss? It didn't allow me to have her in by party. Also I wasn't able to have Tomi in my party when I entered Ch 4. Was that the way it is supposed to be?

I think I finished the OC at lvl 16 or 17. Is that about the right level to finish the game with?

I started SoU with my character from the OC, so far I find that the story line is ok. I like how you can control your henchmen's progression and inventory. I hope that these expansions get alittle tougher then they appear to be right now. I would like to progress my character to level 40, but I am not sure it that is possible with these expansion packs. I might have to try and download some of the mods that people have came up with. Anyone have any good mods that they have played or made?

[ November 26, 2004, 01:26: Message edited by: skillet1197 ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.