1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

United States - Fatty Food Heaven?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, Jack, I respectfully disagree. Before I was married, I used to room with a bartender at one of the more popular restaurants here in H-Town. We also went to college together because U of H has a huge restaurant program (Conrad Hilton school), on campus, which he attended (but I was off in an entirely different program). Nevertheless, you think they would have taught him a few things about responsibility. Often times I used to sit a his bar after I got off work at the electronics store and watched him and his partners pump massive amounts of alcohol into their partons for hours, many of them regulars - in the old days they were called "Bar Flies." I used to ask him if he had any regrets for all the customers who would leave his bar compteley drunk and drive off into whatever fate awaited them. He would just shrug his shoulders and say, "As long as they tip me well, the rest is their problem."

The managers of his restaurant did not care much either, because they were in the back counting all the cash they were taking in at the bar. Let me ask you this: what is the first thing they offer you when you sit down at a table? If you guessed a beer, a margarita, or a bottle of wine, you win the big prize of the day.

But we were speaking of "tragedy," yes? We were supposed to be all boo-hooing for all the big restaurant owners and corporations who can't help it that their patrons show such a "lack of restraint." Ah, several years later I was with the same electronics store when one of our managers turned up missing one morning. It turned out that he was in the hospital, ICU, and would probably never be returning, because the night before he had left a restaurant, and yes, drunk, and had an "accident." He was somewhat lucky, because even though he had broken half the bones in his body, the family of four he had crashed into were not so lucky, not even the two young children who were burned to death in the car he ran into. There is tragedy, and then there is "tragedy."

I know that I am somewhat off a little here, becuase the topic was "fatty food." But I wonder if the same group of people who could care less about real "tragedy," could really care about the few thousand extra calories in what they serve their customers.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    JF,
    that's not absolving the individual of his responsibility to take care in his own affairs, but rather a refusal to give the producer of a crappy product a pass. You need two for that game. For the mythical powers of the market to work with the described (desired?) corrective effect, it requires equal knowledge on both sides. Now we two have more than a hunch that this is bad food. Swell. That lacking in many others, there is always someone biting the proverbial grease ball burger.

What the market rocks at is the correction after the fact, at which point damage has been done. That's a general rule. Needless to say, I don't share your faith in the market. Put more pointedly, I don't see the harm of the uninformed or stupid as the acceptable price (they have) to pay for the corrective powers of the market to take effect.

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

As for knowledge ("harm of the uninformed"), the nutritional data for most chain restaurants is available on request. At the very least it is available on their website. And to say that people don't know that McDonalds is unhealthy is a poor excuse. If they don't "know" then it is denial. It's not like nobody is telling people that eating this stuff is unhealthy. To say that they are uninformed is intellectually dishonest.

As for the market: Have you seen the commercials that Burger King is running now where they use a hidden camera and tell people that they have stopped serving the Whopper? As the commercial says, people freaked. The demand is driving the market.

Besides, you're not going to convince a recovering addict that anything but personal responsibility is the answer to this problem. People aren't going to stop abusing substances (and yes, filling your body with unhealthy junk is substance abuse) until they make the individual decision to do so. When adults make the choice to be self destructive, then they are responsible.

4. Ragusa

Media:
    JF,
    that's it! You're biased :p :shake:
    Even though Ronald Reagan told his country's youths, just say no, how come, I wonder, that despite common sense (drugs = bad) and well meaning pleas for abstinence there still drug consumption, and a perceived need for the DEA? Because demand drives the market?

The dose makes the poison (with all undue modesty, what a particularly witty phrase in this context, and what a smooth lead over!). Personally I feel very uneasy when, as US conservatives and neo-liberals like like to do, 'the market' is being revered like a natural force, like wind is worshipped by a pagan tribe. What about a hurricane?

And as for getting nutritional data on request only, what do they have to hide? :eek: And what else is there they don't tell us even when we ask? :eek:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I guess I have to ask you, what is the solution? Businesses are not going to stop selling a popular product. Their customers would merely go to a place that gave them what they wanted. That is what I mean by the demand driving the market.

I would like to see nutrional information on menus (A bit hard for fast food places, but many post them next to the counter). That would be interesting. My guess is people may initially be shocked, but would likely continue eating it anyway. Nutritional information is put on food in the supermarket and it doesn't stop people from buying and consuming unhealthy food.

6. Ragusa

Media:
    My gut feeling tells me that it would be best to purge the planet of Starbucks, McD and the like, especially Starbucks (because they are evil, spread like the flu, and their coffee sucks, bad). But not Burger King, and Taco Bell (said to be great, never checked). I'm a little subjective I guess.

On a more serious note, forcing them to show their nutritive data prominently would be a great thing. And improve health education, especially as far as the benefits of healthy nutrition and exercise are concerned.
    But in the end you're right, it's, pathological obesity aside, a choice to be fat. It's like I wrote initially, like my tomcat, people eat much because they can and because it tastes well. Eating feels good. It makes you feel good (so does sport, albeit in a different way, and not instantly). The stuff they serve at fast food chains is so saturated with aroma and boosters like sugar, glutamate and whatever that it is hard for the stuff to not taste great. And of course that sells. And selling such food cheap amplifies that. Plus, many people have never learned to eat sensibly, and probably never will.

So, yes, it's unhealthy and stupid to eat it, but it's in demand, shall we just let the market decide what's good for us? Don't we all know what's best for us? Point is, many people don't, and we likely can't change that.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The main problem is that healthy food is as a rule more expensive than any kind of unhealthy food. Anything that's better for you winds up costing you more - significantly, in most cases. Until this situation is reversed, it's utopian to expect that the majority of people will eat healthily. Most people can't afford to pay extra for healthier food, even if they would prefer it. And many aren't prepared to pay more simply on principle, because they can get better tasting food cheaper.

So just blaming it all on people for eating unhealthy food is unfair. At least here, by far the largest part of the population can't afford to pay up to a third more for every food product considered more healthy than the cheaper alternative.

Most people can't afford to eat in restaurants regularly anyway. What they buy in supermarkets is far more significant to the debate overall.

Incidentally, saying that "it's a choice to be fat" is really ignorant. Do you know any fat people who will tell you that they're fat because they enjoy being fat? Or that they would rather be fat than slim? I certainly don't know any.

You can only make such generalizing statements when the majority of the people involved will confirm your supposition. That really isn't the case as far as being overweight goes. "Being fat" can't be quit like smoking and drinking can - one fell swoop and you're done.

So whenever I see statements like "it's a choice to be fat" I'm just reminded of especially European prejudices against overweight people, which have little little basis in reality. There are dozens of possible contributing factors to being overweight, but choice is by far the last one of the possible ones.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  8. Ragusa

Media:
    Tal,
    as for being fat being a choice ... :o what's silly about it is that it is exactly what I mocked JF for :bang: I trapped myself there - and that is laying the blame on the consumers. That is my pun, and I accept your scolding. I stand corrected. I do think that when you're overweight a statement like: I beat it and so can you, just say no to being overweight! does indeed defy average experience. I wasn mocking that only two posts ago, and forgot already.

I see what a pain it has been in some of my relatives of mine to lose unhealthy weight. It's not easy. Talk about changing your life. A very hard thing to do.

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    What? You realize that they get to pick and choose which reactions they show, right? How many hundreds or thousands of people did they have to go through, do you think, before they came up with the appropriate reactions? Are we absolutely sure that the people weren't actors?

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    If you're going to bring up commercials, I prefer the one where the accountant asks a guy for a receipt for a meal from a burger joint. The guy says, "Can I just photocopy my butt?" The rest is visual, and absolutely priceless.

THe most addictive substance in the world is... SALT. Once you have it once, you want it forever - this is why baby food has NO added salt.

Something I've always wondered... why is it necessary for a company to support multiple product lines: original, low salt, fat free, etc? Why not phase out the least nutritious version over time? Product changes don't all have to be a repeat of the New Coke fiasco.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Tal - I think your statement about asking a fat person if they want to be fat is as oversimplified as the very statement you are taking to task. In general (and, as Ragusa said, ignoring the pathological obese who have a physical reason for being so fat), fat people are fat because they eat more calories than they burn. It's pretty simple.

So, when you ask a fat person if he or she wants to be fat, he or she will, of course, say hell no. But if you ask that person why he or she needs to have two double-doubles, large fries, and regular sweetened sodas several times a week, he or she will say something that reveals that there is a strong disconnect here. I would venture to say that most fat people, while they intellectually understand that they eat too much of food that is not particularly good for them, cannot really fathom the devastation that their meals make of their bodies.

We all know the basics, but I have found that most fat people simply refuse to acknowledge that they are in control. They could eat better, they choose not to. They could exercise more, they choose not to. Everyone is so used to seeing instantaneous results in other parts of life that they don't understand that they need to commit to a lifestyle makeover in order to see real results and, further, that they are not going to really see appreciable results for weeks. This also explains why extreme fad diets are so popular and so useless. People commit to them, see great results in a short time, but have to change what they eat in order to avoid malnutrition on the diet, which almost always leads to regression in eating habits and weight gain that usually exceeds what is lost. There are books written on this situation.

What you often see is either a blame situation (my parents fed me too much and that is the way I eat and what my body is used to, so I cannot change), or, what is becoming more and more prevalent, the cop-out of turning to surgical procedures in lieu of life-style alteration. Liposuction and stomach stapling, etc. The real problem is that these mechanisms don't change the underlying pathology in the way the person eats and exercises. They are still going to go on eating as they have, although in the case of the stomach stapling, significantly less of it. That might ultimately help, but it is so extreme that it boggles the mind that anyone who is less than 100 pounds overweight would even consider it.

All in all, they do choose to be fat or to remain fat. They just don't confront their choice honestly.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'm fat. I don't see it as a choice, but the consequence of a series of other choices I routinely make. For years I was rather sedentary, working only when I had to, and excercising even less. The Marijuana I used to smoke made it possible to remain sedentary for longer periods of time, as well as making me crave empty calories (not that I cared back then). When I finally gave up the weed, I still found that I would have periods where I was hyperactive, so I still got some excercise.

However since I hurt my back, excercise and work have become difficult, and avoided where possible, and in the last year, my financial situation has been better, so I've spent more on junk food (which shows).

All of this is a choice, habits formed. What I need to do is find other habits that can replace these bad habits without causing too much pain...

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, saying how people are "in control" with so much conviction seems rather naive to me. Technically, sure, we're all in control of ourselves. But I'm convinced that you and I both know a number of people who have tried to quit smoking unsuccessfully, for example. All it takes there is stopping the action of smoking and coping with it. It doesn't take a lifestyle makeover, it doesn't require daily exercise, it doesn't require watching every calorie, it doesn't require a bunch of steps to make sure they don't relapse... and they STILL can't do it. I know people who have tried to stop smoking 10+ times with the best intents, but couldn't do it. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Now compare attempts at stopping with an addiction that is not connected with an inherent biological function like eating, and overfeeding itself. Truth be told, there is no comparison. If stopping smoking is tough for many people, all the required steps to "stop being fat" are infinitely more challenging (especially for people with genetic predisposition to it). And if so many people can't stop smoking, you're probably getting an idea why so many, MANY more people can't "stop being fat". If these people were really in control, as you say, stopping smoking or stopping being fat would be as easy as making a mental note. It isn't.

How would you characterize a smoker who's tried to quit 5+ times, but has always relapsed? Or a dieter who's been on 10+ diets and always relapsed?

Not in control would be a good start, as far as I'm concerned. You can argue about the reasons, but not the end result. I've seen pretty much all kinds of addictions first hand, and I can tell you that food addiction (we can call it that) is by far the hardest to kick. Because unlike with all the other kinds of addiction, you can't just stop doing it, because in this case it'd mean stopping eating, which we naturally can't do.

Imagine if alcohol or smoking addiction couldn't be stopped as it is in 99.9% of cases, by making sure that the addict never touches alcohol or cigarettes again. It's a proven fact that practically no alcohol addict can get back to just having a drink now and then. If they don't want to climb into the bottle again, they simply can't touch alcohol ever again.

However, "stopping" a food addiction requires exactly what's impossible for alcoholics - to keep doing the same act that drives them into addiction, just in moderation. This doesn't work with the overwhelming majority of alcoholics. Why do you think it should work with food addicts?

You can call all of them weak, sure... but that's not really helping, and I don't think that it's fair either.

I cannot change without even trying, or I cannot change despite trying to do my best a number of times? This last one is much more realistic in most such situations in my experience. And it does make a lot of difference. If the situation was really as simplified as you too try to make it here (people just stay fat because they're too lazy to try stopping being fat), I'd be in full agreement with you. However, that is practically never the real situation, just the perceived behaviour attributed to fat people by the rest of the society, especially by the part that has never had to deal with being fat. It's pretty much a "Let them eat cake!" type of statement in my opinion.

Being able to understand this I can also distinguish between smokers who enjoy smoking and wouldn't stop doing it for the world (and would defend their right to smoke to the end), and smokers who equally enjoy it, but have at least made attempts at stopping, even if they haven't actually managed to go the whole way yet (but want to!).

That is the popular belief, certainly... and if the U.S. legal system operated on that presumption, 90% of cases would never make it to court because the full fault could be attributed before hearing anyone out. If every murderer could just be executed on the basis that they chose to take someone's life it'd make things a hell of a lot simpler.

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think dmc pointed out very well the responsibility issue. Culinary culture has a great part in play for why people are fat and American culinary culture seems to largely favour a use of excessive fat and sugar as well as oversized portions, some countries have similar trends and others have not. Changing this will be about changing how people think first and then what they eat.

Point of the matter is that I don't see why you can't eat a mcdonalds hamburger every now and then if you enjoy it? Ragusa&co are probably biased in the regard that they actually don't like the food so they'll be happy to be rid of it but I'm pretty sure they too eat some stuff which is probably is not too healthy and they'd not wish to give up for simply because there are people getting fat by eating excessive amounts of it.

Fighting obesity should come with endorsing healthy food, possibly with tax reliefs and also providing education. To be honest the likelyhood that either of these will help people allready overweight or obese is quite slim but atleast hopefully it will do something to prevent the constant increase of overweight and obese people. I think using the carrot rather than the stick is the better way of adjusting the markets in a more healthy direction.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No offence, Tal, but what on earth are you talking about? Simple fresh in-season fruit and vegetables are miles cheaper than any fatty restaurant foods. A carrot costs about 5c and an apple costs about 20c and a potato is about 10c. A packet of rolled oats that costs about $2 will keep you in porridge for breakfast for a month.

Compare that to a meal at a middle of the road 'family' restaurant that costs about $20 a head and there is no contest. Eating healthily and eating economically are not mutually exclusive.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Tal - I just don't think we are going to agree here. You equate overeating with physical addictions and I equate it with mental addictions. While I know that there is an element of physical craving that goes along with eating certain types of food, to me, the largest component of overeating involves a mental addiction. People eat because of a ton of reasons having nothing to do with physical hunger and I am just not willing to give them a pass and say "It's not your fault" when I think, at the base level, it is.

It might not be their fault that, as children, they learned to eat when they are feeling depressed, but (and I am talking about adults here) if they had intellectual honesty, they would know that they react to feeling depressed by overeating and would either accept the choice or take measures to sublimate the eating urge into something more productive, like, say, exercising. (Caveat - I am also not talking about true psychological depression.)

Just so you know, I say this from experience with a couple of close friends who were rather overweight but, recognizing what was going on, took charge of it and completely changed the way they ate and exercised. I also have a professional colleague who knows exactly what he is doing to himself but, as he loves to eat crap and doesn't care that much about the ramifications, is probably 80-100 pounds overweight with no intention of doing anything about it. He acknowledges that he is almost certainly going to die earlier that he should, but says that he doesn't care and is at peace with the fact that he is fat and going to stay that way.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    No offence Harbourboy, but most people's idea of a healthy diet is not going vegan. We are talking basic foodstuffs like milk, meat, bread, etc. Fruit and vegetables are part of every diet, but most people don't want to live off just that. I wasn't talking about any restaurant food either; I even specifically mentioned that most people can't afford to eat in restaurants on a regular basis (at least not here, anyway). So I don't know what you're going on about...

But you could say that about any addiction, really. I don't think that any addiction is purely physical or purely mental. I'd say that most are an intertwined mix of both. What about people addicted to sex?

I don't think that you're addressing anything that I wrote, just repeating your stance...

I write from similar experience myself too - I've been able to observe it first-hand for years, within my own family, so I'm probably a bit more familiar with it. And we're not talking about people just slightly overweight (which is hardly ever an issue that requires a lifestyle makeover), but people fat enough to require a prolonged diet AND a change of lifestyle. Slimming itself is usually not the hardest part, it's the "change of lifestyle" that most people can't do. That phrase is thrown around these days like it's a simple thing. Oh, he or she is too fat? Well, they just need to change their lifestyle! Infinitely easier said than done. We're all creatures of habit, and many people can't just break off with the lifestyle they've been living most of their life and start living differently just like that.

To emphasize again, I'm not defending anyone that is like your colleague who is consciously not doing anything about his health condition, but people who try to and fail, for one reason or another. The problem is that the society in general treats all of them equally derisively.

18. Ragusa

Media:
    Tal,
    I guess one key problem people have in reconciling eating with it being an addiction is that you naturally need to eat to live. You don't eat, you die. It's not that humans are so much addicted to food, they are dependent on food for their survival. It's some unlucky wording, IMO. It might help to better focus if we split the issue up a bit.

We can carve out basically two fields: If we speek of a 'food addiction' and resulting overweight, what do we mean? If you count pathological anomalities like bulimic eating or odd metabolism as one field, what remains is habits (personal/ cultural), and unconscious behaviour.

And in this latter field 'food addiction' is at it's most basic and from an objective point of view excess consumption first of all - overweight people do indeed simply eating more than they burn - which still leaves a great deal of room for the why's.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can make a big pot of chicken soup that lasts a week for a fraction of the cost of any sort of processed unhealthy fast food. I am still adamant that eating healthy basic food is miles cheaper than eating lazy modern unhealthy food.

How about growing your own vegetables?

Jack Funk likes this.
  20. Ragusa

Media:
    Harborboy,
    And rightly so. In Germany you pay to get fed at some fast food shop some 4-ish Euro for a basic dinner (one burger, large coke, fries) and you probably want something extra, so add some more 3-ish Euro. For two persons, double that. And that's for one meal.

For that money I can buy the ingredients to cook about two decent 2-person dinners, meat and veggies and a dish, or wine instead of the dish, and will probably have something left for one more (excess potatoes, onions, carrots etc).

We had home grown veggies at my parents. My father was an agricultural engineer, and a farmer at heart. Home grown veggies are the best :yum: well, if you can fend off those bloody pigeons (hint: a pigeon will keep an enterprising, crafty cat happy and well fed for a day, for free).

You find quite a lot of people who just don't know how many vegetables look in their natural form. How can they let them out of school not knowing that? I am always appalled when I see that. When I have children I'll make sure they don't grow up like that. Little story: An aunt of mine sells farm goods at a local market, and one well off lady came along referring to the sticks of bruxelles sprouts (no, they do not look like marbles) as 'nicely decorated'. She, in cold blood, returned that because of that they cost extra :lol: God, was I laughing :shake: She left a happy customer.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.