1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

V for Vendetta?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Dragon's Jewel, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Vertigo comics are awesome. I never read them back when I spent ALL my money on comics (my whole grade school life) but now they're all I read. Preacher, Hellblazer, Sandman and all the rest are awesome. I forget, wasn't V for Vendetta also Vertigo? Didn't pay attention when I read it.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Not if you like having money in your account, you don't. $15 for a trade paperback (usually $3/issue) is low-end, these days, and prices are only going to go up.

There is some excellent work in comics, but in terms of bang for the buck, prose, video games, and DVDs are far better values.

Still, at least go hunt down the Preacher trades. They're great. Maybe Transmetropolitan while you're at it.

3. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Staying in the comic theme-
    If you get a chance, pick up some Sandman. Really. Neil Gaiman is popular enough to warrant a comics section at our local library ( so he might at yours as well) and Sandman is easily one of the best comic series I've ever read. Extremely well written and well-drawn. I mean, I *cried* at the end of that series. Please, check it out.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Yeah, I've read all of Sandman - it is awesome :)

5. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I think that's the grossest understatement I've heard you say Aik, they havn't invented a word for the Sandman series they are Unique.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've just watched this film, it's brilliant! Just taken over 'Crash' as the best film I've seen in the past few years.

Masterpiece

7. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Definitely a good film, though the sound sampling was a little weird as well as some of the cinematography. At points I found it difficult to actually see what was going on due to the closeness of the shot, especially right at the beginning and in the television tower.

As a massive fan of the graphic novel, it bugged me a bit that the character of V was changed from a true insurrectionary anarchist to a questionable freedom fighter, but hey- good luck getting corporations to sponsor a film that says you should take down big business.

Still fun, though. Hugo Weaving did a great job.

8. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

yes i agree, in the graphic novel it was a little harder to tell if V was a good guy or a slightly bad guy.

movies of graphics novels often change things or leave out important things

but other than that i thought it was a good film
    and yes hugo weaving did a pretty good job, in a role that required him to wear a make 99% of the time

9. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hold on, wasn't "Crash" that David Cronenburg film with all the car-crash fetishists?

10. DarkStrider

Crash is also a film that won Oscars recently, haven't seen so can't comment. However I do like the original Crash by Cronenberg and Book by JG Ballard.

11. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The Cronenberg 'Crash' was twisted! If you like that, check out Takeshi Miik's 'Visitor Q' - this movie breaks every taboo there is.

As for V for Vendetta, I hope to see this one soon, as it sounds too cool to miss.

12. DarkStrider

Oh yes Crash book and film are twisted, and Visitor Q is on my list of film to get as well as Dead or Alive, City of Lost Souls and Ichi the Killer all by Yakeshi Miike

13. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ichi the Killer was so disturbing. Wasn't Audition Miike's film as well?

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Finally saw it. Deviated muchly from the comic but I still liked it. Hugo Weaving did an awesome job. You could really hear the emotion in his voice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.