1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wasteland 2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Marceror, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah. What fun is that? All the skills are (probably more than) half the fun!

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have finished uploading pictures from the CA portion of my game to my WL2 album.

It probably goes without saying, but as there are a whole lot of pictures, with some from almost every major area in the game... there is definitely spoiler potential here. Best to view the album starting from the "end", which where it actually starts from a chronological perspective.

http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/album.php?albumid=311

Taluntain likes this.
  3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The 3 ass skills? That sounds dubious.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hard Ass - bully your way to getting what you want
    Kiss Ass - use diplomacy to get what you want
    Smart Ass - use logic to get what you want

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That's actually pretty funny.

Seems like you'd get a lot of skills that do more or less the same if you spread the skills that way, though.

6. Marceror

Media:
    They are similar, but I can understand why they are broken up.

A geeky smart guy, a charmer with honeyed words, and an intimidating d***head all bring different things to the table, and have their own ways of solving problems.

WL2 is also unabashed about having a large number of skills. Instead of just "infiltration" you have lockpicking, safecracking, alarm disarming, computer science, demolitions and mechanical repair all as separate skills, all useful for getting past obstacles that prevent you from getting where you want to go. Many of them have other uses as well, but you get my point.

Personally, I feel it's one of the game's many strengths. There are plenty who would rather see this all streamlined a bit (or even a lot), though. To them I say, wait for Pillars of Eternity, with its whopping 5 skills.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK, so I'm now back to about where I was, and the new ability scores and choices (I think I originally had three people including Rose with handguns as their primary weapon which are just too short ranged) seem to make a pretty big difference :)

One thing though, at least for the current version of the game, you don't need any special "Ass" skills to get the Topekans and the Atchisons to reunite.

From what I can tell this time around, you just need save Ralphy, make sure he talks to Jessie BEFORE you head to the Atchison side of the camp, and I think you also needed to have disarmed the bomb in the bicycle near where Jessie was standing in the Topekan's camp.

Last time I didn't have Ralphy talk to Jessie prior to going to the Atchison camp, and she gets captured by the Topekans. At that point, I didn't know what to do to resolve the conflict, but I started over before I checked further into it. If Ralphy talks to her before you leave to the Atchison side, she runs home and isn't captured.

Then it just takes regular conversations with Casey James and Kekkahbah to resolve the conflict peacefully.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Haven't played the game for two weeks. I hope I will finish it but it didn't really grab me which is sad.

9. Marceror

Media:
    Out of curiousity, what were the main aspects that didn't meet your expectations?

It seems like a lot of Fallout fans were turned off by the lack of traits, perks and/or stealth.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    How far did you get?

I'm loving every minute of the game and starting over hasn't damped things a bit. :)

I do miss stealth abilities, but they don't seem to be needed as far as seeing what's coming before they see you...

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Down into the sewers under the water town. I think what put me off was the perceived weakness of my characters in combat. I really don't like the high miss rates. It is a small thing but I think that is almost a deal breaker for me. Combat wasn't fun. You walk right into it, the enemy always starts, you miss half the time, it is slow but not overly difficult just bothersome I think. Oh and no abilities! It is all just auto-attacks. It is notoriously difficult for me to get into games though but I am afraid Wasteland missed the oppurtunity.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    No! :) You can take the first shot almost every time! Before combat begins, your enemies are targetable, so you can spread out, take up good positions and take the first shot as long as you don't get too close and they see you.

And if you take the first shot, you usually get the first shot after combat begins as well.

If you're having trouble with missing a lot, or always going last in the combat rotation, you might want to rethink your abilities and skills (like I did :) ).

13. Marceror

Media:
    Enemies shouldn't always go first. In fact, they way I play they rarely go first. I tend to get my team into position and initiate the first attack. I also tend to have a lot of guys with high Combat Initiative, so they get to attack a lot more frequently than the enemy does.

As for hit chance, once you've increased your primary combat skills a bit, you shouldn't have problems hitting at all. Make sure you're using weapons that you are skilled with, of course. And when you take cover or go into crouching stance you get +10% bonus to your hit chance. You also need to keep in mind that weapons like sniper rifles and assault rifles are best used from range. If you right next to a foe with a sniper rifle, move back and then fire.

Weapons like pistols, SMGs and shotguns work better at close range, so move up to improve your hit chance.

Most of the stuff you mention should be addressable by learning the game mechanics better and pumping up your relevant weapon skills a bit. Also, you start with crappy weapons. With better weapons your team will really start to come into their own.

By the late game you can do burst fire AND headshots and still have 100% chance to hit in many cases.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    And don't forget that if you're close enough to a character with good Leadership skill you get even more bonus to the hit chance. I currently get a 10% bonus from my Leadership guy for everyone, and they don't have to stay bunched up around him either.

15. Marceror

Media:
    Definitely, a character with 8 - 10 CHA will have a HUGE radius of influence for leadership, giving everyone else in your team a boost to hit chance, and lowering the chance for pNPCs (e.g. Angela Deth, Vulture's Cry) to go rogue.

16. joacqin

Media:
    I know I can start first but setting up for two minutes for every bug fight seems like too much micro. Don't mind carefully setting up for big boss fights and stuff but I don't want to do it for every group of roaches. Even so the enemies tend to often just rush you making the long range weapons useless or forcing you to move and then the enemy just moving after you. It is not like I hate it, I just don't get the urge to play it. Half of the play time I have is after forcing myself to play because I want to give it a proper chance and I because I know it takes a long time for me to get into new games. Will my characters get abilities later on or is it just shooting and bashing throughout the entire game?

I spent a fair amount of time researching before starting so I know most of the stuff you guys are telling me. Even copied my character builds from some site that seemed to know what they were doing (think it was a link from here). I never played the original fallout games either partly because I got to them late and partly because I really didn't like the combat system. Original Sin is the first real game I have properly played with action point based combat but it felt quite dynamic there and it always felt like my characters were doing something with their action points. In Wasteland I just tell them to attack and either they hit or they miss.

17. Marceror

Media:
    You don't have to go through a detailed set up to start the fight. Just have your sniper and/or assault gunners (i.e. your longer range guys) open with a few shots. There's next to no set up required for that.

This is why you open with your long range guys, so even when the enemy runs in, they can't make it into melee range. Move your short range guys up and keep your long range team members behind, behind cover if available. This works much better in the current release, since a bug was corrected that was giving enemies massive AP to run in close at the beginning of fights.

Not everyone is going to love the game. I personally think it's on its way to becoming one of my all time favorites, but that's just me. If you give it its proper chance and it still doesn't grab you, than I guess it just doesn't grab you.

It won't ever compare to DOS in terms of abilities. You won't be casting spells and turning water into ice or anything. But neither would you expect these sorts of things.

There's certainly more than shooting and bashing. There is a cover mechanic that adds a tactical layer, along with a crouching mechanic. Each weapon works a little differently, so if your squad has a nice mix, you should be using each squad member in a different manner. With many weapons you have to decide if it makes sense to burst fire or fire single shots. With shotguns you do AoE damage, so you have to be careful about your tactical positioning -- these can be your best friends or worst enemies, depending on how you use them.

There is also the ambush mechanic to think about, where you attempt to draw enemies to you, and fire upon them when they are in range. Headshots are an interesting trade off, where you fire for higher AP and reduced accuracy, but do more damage.

You can even use skills like animal whisperer and computer science in combat to turn animals and robots to your side, respectively.

There are considerations like when to get out your energy weapons vs. when to use more conventional weapons.

A game like Fallout Tactics admittedly has more going on in this regard, but it doesn't have the deep story and roleplaying options. There are always trade offs.

Maybe it's just not your game, especially if you didn't like Fallout. I tried Fallout Tactics for the first time a few days ago, and immediately thought it was awesome, in spite of being an old game.

So, different stroke for different folks I guess.

Hopefully you'll manage to "get grabbed". Once you do, I'm pretty sure you'll love it. Question is whether or not it's worth it to you to take the time to get there.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    So I take it the Night Terror is just a walking joke following me around? It pretty much stands around like the goat when I'd rather it acted more like the dog or the rat :)

I mean, at least that 8000 CON could be put to good use if it'd charge out there like the rat or the dog. The rat and the dog are extremely hard to keep alive due to their behavior; I wish they'd act more like the goat :)

I suppose if I really wanted to, I could initiate combat and then retreat behind it... but I doubt it would do much good. It is pretty funny though. :)

19. Marceror

Media:
    There is a theory going around that the Night Terror is a hallucination. In WL1 I guess the Night Terror was encountered in a dream sequence, or something. It wasn't a real creature.

There is that weird noxious liquid just outside his room that isn't explained. It might have induced the hallucination. That would also explain why no one else seems to notice him.

It doesn't perhaps explain why he can be targeted and attacked by enemies, but those attacks could well be part of the hallucination also.

To my knowledge, inXile has been completely silent on this matter to date.

20. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

You can feed the Night Terror. I love the little guy.

Finished WL2 last night, 100 hours of play. Loved it, bugs and all. Definitely one of the better RPGs in recent times.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.