1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Munchkin Blender, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I'm already doing that on mybeachbody.com website. In fact I also have all of my initial measurements up there as well. My username is KeithPower90 if anyone joins and wants to add me as one of their buddies.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I suppose I could, but there's no way in hell my wife would do that.

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Once I'm down 30-50lbs I would be willing to post both pictures. As for now have enough fat photos of myself out there.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The word "castration" leaps to mind at the thought of my putting my wife's pictures up on a public internet site.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You're married to Lorraina? Sleep lightly my friend!:D

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I took my measurements tonight.

I have lost a total of 13lbs and 7.5" off my body. That is almost 2" a week and a little over 3lbs a week. Not bad for 4 weeks.

8. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Not bad at all! Very impressive start, keep it going :thumb:

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Just FYI, we do have enough privacy settings for albums here as well so that you can make them either viewable to everyone, only registered members, or only people on your friends or contact list.

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Thanks for that tip. I will just wait until I complete all 90 days. Than I will post the before and true after phots since I'm only on day 29 today. That still leaves me 61 more days to change how I look.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    And so it begins. Well, at least it will tonight. We received the package in the mail on Friday, but both my wife and I were going to be away for the weekend, so we decided to wait until today to start. I'll let you know how it goes.

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Good luck; most complain during the first 21-30 days when using P90X because of how hard it is. Let me know if it is worth moving up to P90X from P90.

My wife is going to join me starting tonight. I hope this time she can stick to it and stop making excuses. That was my one fault prior to 3/1/2010. I no longer make excuses about this or that. My weight is my battle and now I take full responsibility for what goes into my body as well as the exercises I do to help my body.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That seems to be a near-universal sentiment. The general consensus is that while it is possible for just about anyone to do the workouts, it won't be easy going, especially when you first start out.

That's one of the reasons I want to do it along with my wife. My wife has a hard time sticking to her workouts, and perhaps by doing it together we'll be able to stay with it.

14. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Last night my wife and I did the sculpt video. I had no issue the first time I did the sculpt video because I use to weight lift a few years ago; however, my wife has never weight lifted and had a hard time just getting the form down. I had to show her a few time how to do the form correctly; if you don't have the correct form the exercise is not going to give you the desired results.

We already completed the cardio video together; however, I'm in much better shape than 3/1/2010 when we did the cardio video together the first time.

Since I'm loosing out the opprotunity to move to the next level as I'm helping my wife along I am now incorporating Beachbody's Slim in 6 program in the morning. I started today. I thought it shouldn't be a problem for me as I have been doing P90 now for 29 days; well it is a different exercise program focusing more on cardio than a combo and it kicked my butt just like P90 did on the first day. With that in mind I know that by the end of this week I should have a firmer grasp on Slim in 6 and hopefully be moving on to the 2nd of that series by the end of this week or by the end of the second week. Slim in 6 has 3 vidoes and you are suppose to move up every 2 weeks in that program.

My goal in all of this is to be able to take off my shirt when I'm at the beach and not feel bad about the way I look.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    We did the first video last night, which was Chest and Back. The exercises are a bit different than what I'm used to, and I am probably going to need to adjust the amount of weight I used the next time I do them. (On one or two of the exercises I should have used more weight, but since it was my first time doing the video, I was focusing more on form than weight.)

The first thing I found unusual about the workout is everything is timed. I'm used to a workout being X sets with X reps per set. P90X is set up as how many reps can you do in a minute, even if you have to take a break half way through the set.

The first thing they did was just standard pushups. Since I generally work out chest far in excess of my body weight, I can easily do pushups for a minute straight. Most members of the video got 30 pushups done in a minute, while I got 26, so they were going a little faster than me.

The next on the list was standard pull-ups for a minute, and my first reaction was "No F-ing way can anyone do pull-ups for a full minute straight. That's about 25-30 pull-ups and I don't know anyone who can knock that many out in a single set. Well, even the workout instructor Tony had to take a breather and just hang on to the bar for a few seconds during the workout. I was doing pull-downs on my equipment (I don't have a pull-up bar) with the weight set at 200 lbs (the closest I can get to my body weight). I was able to knock out 12 in the first 30 seconds, but I was only able to get 5 more during the last 30 seconds.

My general feeling on the workout is that for chest, it's more sets and more reps per set than what my typical chest workout includes, but significantly less weight per set. It's 12 sets of pushups during the workout (6 different types of pushups, each done twice). I have no idea what percentage of your body weight you are lifting during a pushup. Your feet don't move at all, and your legs don't move much, so doing a pushup is certainly not the equivalent of me benching 195 lbs, but I don't know what fraction of 195 lbs I'm doing. Then again, since I'm doing more reps for each set, the total weight lifted may very well exceed what I'd normally do.

As for back, I think it's an excellent workout. Like I said, I didn't use as much weight as I probably should have, but with new exercises, I wanted to get the form down. I used 25 lbs dumbells (because that's the one weight increment I have that isn't in adjustable form), and I think 40 lbs would have been more appropriate for most of the exercises.

I thought it was a good workout, and I definitely worked up a sweat doing it, but at no point did I think it was so intense that I couldn't keep going, and I do not feel sore today. The one caveat I will place on that statement is I got more breaks than if I had been doing the workout by myself. I only have one piece of weight equipment that allows me to do pull-downs, so during that segment of the video, my wife and I had to take turns. She did them for a minute, and then I did them for a minute, so I had one-minute mini-breaks during the workout where we had to pause the video so that we both could do the excercise. Perhaps the fatigue level would have been higher had I not taken those little breaks.

Day 2 is Polymetrics, and I'm not sure what to expect, as that's something I do NOT include in my typical weekly workout routine.

16. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Polymetrics and Power Yoga are two of the more intense workouts if you do not do either. I know P90 incorporates both into the program but I believe it is only for a few minutes at a time vs. an hour + of a specific type of workout.

Let me know how each day goes. I want to move over to P90x around Xmas this year. Maybe that will be my Xmas gift from my wife along with a pullup bar.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Munchkin,

Also keep in mind that we're only doing Phase 1 workouts. Each DVD has Phase 1-3. Phase 1 is about 45 minutes, while Phase 2 and 3 are about 15 minutes each. They recommend staying at just the Phase 1 workouts for at least 30 days before incorporating Phase 2, and then stay at Phase 2 a minimum of 30 days before going to Phase 3. So once you hit Phase 3, each workout is in excess of one hour. But yes, Polymetrics and Yoga both have a Phase 1 video devoted to them, so there is about a 45 minute workout for both.

While I think Polymetrics will be difficult for me, I was actually happy to see that was the second workout. My wife is highly competitive, but she's never going to be my equal when it comes to doing things like pull-ups and push-ups. As a woman, she simply lacks the muscle mass and stamina to do as many as I can. Strength is much less of a factor for things like Polymetrics, Yoga, and Kempo. All three require dexterity, balance, and flexibility more than strength. She has those in spades, while I have none of those three in any abundance.

EDIT: Oh, just to be clear, when you hit Phase 2, you do both the Phase 1 and 2 workouts. And with Phase 3 you do all three workouts. I realized that my first paragraph could have been interpreted to mean that when you hit Phase 2 you only did Phase 2.

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I figured that out before you even did an edit.

As for flexibility, balance and dexterity; I have had an improvement in all three since I start P90. I hope that by incorporating Slim in 6 it will increase those three areas further.

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Alright, I'm going to take the time to be a jerk and say that I used to be able to do 35 in row. Of course I was 5'10, 155lbs, and could also run a 5:00 mile, as well as bench and clean 200 then.

Nowadays I'm back down to 155 (from being poor so less eating), probably over a 6:00 mile and last i checked could only bench and clean about 165, if I'm lucky.

Really think it's about time I start going the other way, but it is such a hassle to work out when you don't have a partner.

Oh, and another thing on the push-ups. My basketball team discovered the narrow ones were faster so almost our whole school was FAR better at narrow-handed push-ups than regular. Stuff you pick up on when you have to do over 300 push-ups in a practice at times. Those were the days :p

Great improvement for you Munchkin so far. The thing that I like about your progress is you're losing 3lbs a week, but at the same time we all know you're adding muscle too. So the rate that you are trimming fat is VERY impressive. Kudos!

And good luck Aldeth, always gotta love being with a competitive woman :rolleyes:

20. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Thanks.

I have to say that I already mastered the first Slim in 6 DVD. Yeah in two days. I thought it would be harder but this morning I went through all the exercises without any trouble. I going to give the DVD one more day and on Friday move onto the second DVD.

As for Power90 I am ready to move onto the next set of DVDs. I was finally able to do 15 pushups and I did 7-x-7 regular and x-7-x on my knees. I know eventually I will be able to do 7-7-7 regular pushups. Maybe by the 45th day or so.

As for the weight training DVD on Power90 I'm using 15lb weights for all of the exercises. I know I should change the weights based on the muscle being used; however, I am noticing I'm getting stronger in my arms and back even using the same weight for all of the exercises.

Tonight is my wife's 3rd day; hopefully she start to find the weight training video a bit easier. In fact last night she said that exact statement when we were doing the cardio video. I looked at her when I was in the middle of a power yoga move and told her that when I did the video on the first week I that I had a really hard time completing the power yoga exercise and after 4 weeks of doing them they are a lot easier for me.

I keep reminding myself and I keep telling my wife; you do it one day at a time and you do your best. If you can't get through a specific exercise just walk in place. You have to keep your heart rate up when exercising and over time you will be able to do the exercise as you strengthen, tone, and change your body.

I have now completed a full 30 days. I'm 1/3 way completed. Here I come for the next 30 days.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.