1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

weird memory leak, trojans and more...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by konny666, May 2, 2004.

1. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

At the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, (I think I may be developing Alzheimers), you should have a Firewall like Zonealarm installed to prevent future infection.

If you haven't then, you can check your current defenses here.

I think I posted stuff about this before, but I cannot remember, (I think I may be developing, ooh? what is it called now? No, its gone, nevermind). :)

2. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

As far as I can tell it's the mozilla stuff that makes firefox crash rather than problems with firefox

Undoubtedly MS will take ideas developed in other browsers and try to patent them. Shame firefox isn't under the BSD license - they could just rerelease the exact same product but make it look more microsofty and as long as they credited the original authors (who reads that anyway?) they can do what they want with it. That'd things much easier for them.. :rolleyes:

But yes, everyone using windows would be well advised to have a firewall - people using other OSs should have one too, but it's not as critical

Does anyone know if there's a windows equivalent of tripwire/aide? They are programs that take a snapshot of your system, so you can check against that to see what's changed.

(Oh, and by the way, windows lets you choose to disable shortcut keys (individually) I think, but I'm far too lazy to disable them everytime I want to play a game and then have to turn them back on when I'm done)

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Wow.

I've been using Firebird/Firefox for a while, now. And it's at least as stable as IE, but without all the security holes. IE is actually pretty stable for me, but it's basically like BrowseX; text and pictures, and that's about it.

I'm not justifying the domain, I'm just pointing it out. www.microsuck.com has an enormous list of "alternative" choices, all down the left hand column. And it's well worth your time to take a look through there, in terms of browsers.

After that, I recommend Zonealarm and Norton's AV. I've tried Mcafee (in the past), and I've tried some other firewall (I don't even remember which ones). ZA updates on a consistant basis, and Norton's has always worked well for me (and that is saying something :) ).

After all that, I'd recommend a complete crash. Re-partition, low level format, clean install.

Always land going with the wind-rows.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Norton Utilities will do it. There may also be a Windows system utility with XP that will do it.

The problem is not bad HTML. The problem that's preventing some of those sites from displaying is that Mozilla and others do not support certain types of embedding. Reload the majority of those sites in IE and they'll work fine.

BTW, there are security holes in any browser. Hackers just don't write programs to exploit holes in Mozilla, Opera, FireFox, etc. because those browsers are not as common as Internet Explorer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.