1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Country (Besides the One You Live In) Do You Respect the Most?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

2. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Probably Japan, except for the whole WWII stint. Their history is interesting, their architecture is amazing, they're forerunners in technological development, most notably robotics, and their culture is utterly insane, but in a good way. Mostly.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Canada.

Freedom.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Probably Denmark or Norway, I like things stable and decent without any great extravagancies or great dips. I like what we in Sweden call "lagom" not too much and not too little. Generally cold rational and common sense carries the day and formed our societies. I like that. Very little flamboyance.

5. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It has been estimated that 12% of the world's population can trace their DNA back to the Khans. Those guys really got around. ;) Most of their cultural achievements came from absorbing other cultures. If you give them any credit at all it would be that they generally respected the cultures they absorbed instead of smashing them to bits.

As to the OP: Iceland.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Switzerland. They basically tell the rest of the world to go around them in all political struggles and leave them alone, and as a result, they have really low taxes...

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Canada. America's mellow neighbour. I'd love to live there.

I'm trying to get an a univeristy exchange next year, which would put me in a university in Quebec. Then I could practice my French.

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

C'mon people there has to be a US fan somewhere in the world... Staying in the closet won't help :D

9. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Chicken, do you want me to fetch you a blanket and some food, so you can camp here and wait?

10. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

New Zealand:

Free, democratic and secular country.
    Not afraid to say No when they disagree with something (i.e. to the US with regards to Nuclear weapons).
    Willing to commit troups when deemed necesary.
    Progressive use of clean energy sources (Water, Geothermal)
    Very good policies on (native) conservation.
    Extremely nice people.

Running a close second would be the Scandinavian coutries, although I'm not sure how I'd rate one above another.

11. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

New Zealand for me as well. Sure we have our sporting fueds and jokes but they stuck by us in the trenches and helped form the most significant army in Australian history.

12. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

heh chicken livng in a country with next to zero social security, with a minimum wage that hasn't increased for over 30years and where almost 1/3 of the population dosn't speak the official language, no thanks :)

For me it would be the close nabours of either sweden or norway.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Depends... I generally respect countries, flags, anthems. If you mean something special among others, there are many I'd like to mention here but can't for certain reasons. I respect France for the history and mystique, but 14th July is not a day of celebration for me... more like a day of mourning on 1st Jan. I respect a lot in German history, including some post-WW2 stuff, but there are things I don't find agreeable - and this is not just WW1-2. I respect the USA a whole lot (yes, yes), but I have a hard time with some of its policies as well as the execution on some levels - for example, I can't respect the abuse of rights by the army, police and prison service on so many occasions, or the lying at the top, or jurisdiction claims of their courts - even more so, the many rogue lawyers who don't exactly sequuntur forum rei or the overgrown ties between politics and business. I tend to respect the smaller or even smallest countries for staying independent and building a strong community. Hello, Belgium, Luxemburg and all of you. ;) Maybe Japan for history and tradition, except I'm no fan of Japanese imperialism up until WW2, or some social-structure-related things. Honourary mention goes to Finland for pwning the USSR a bit... kudos to Mannerheim. But if you want me to name a country or five I respect without finding a reason to nod my head and sigh a bit... that's going to be difficult. ;) And no, I don't see my own as perfect and spotless in case you wonder. ;)

A propos English history, it's never been full outside conquest. For example, Harthaknut or however you choose to spell him, had to enter into arrangements and liaisons with powerful local nobles such as Earl Godwin. Duke William had a claim on the throne based on King Edward the Confessor's promise. His wife Matilde was descended from Alfred the Great, as well as his ally Eustace de Boulogne who ceded the claim in exchange for some lands. Powerful Saxon nobles of the North probably required as much diplomacy as pure strength to handle. In short, it was meddling with internal matters and pushing a somewhat grounded claim rather than a typical invasion. That Saxon nobles were quite soon reduced to simple knights or armigers or maybe even lower is another thing.

[ December 01, 2006, 13:01: Message edited by: chevalier ]

14. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Greece. And I would be hard pressed to explain why. A country - in the now or in the past - and its people which inspire longing and adoration deep inside where there are no words.

While I could never fit in (we are worlds apart) they do have a propensity for partying. I find that very relatable. :) If there is a nation on the third rock I could even *consider* leaving Germany for it would have to be Greece. To be the alien among them, to breath their spirit instead of the exhaustion around here... yes. Perhaps, one day, I shall walk among the daughters and sons of the gods for a little while. :D

15. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I guess the some of the Nordic Countries like Norway or Sweden. Other would be Holland or to a lesser degree England and Italy

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Respect? Well, wouldn't that depend on what it takes to earn a person's respect? I can think of a lot of countries I would like to visit, several that I am sympathetic with, but no governments that hold a position of respect with me. On the other hand, my Naval experiences have left impressions on me:

Japan -- their Navy has the best seamanship and shiphandling in the world. No other nations even come close to the Japanese shiphandling skills.

The Austrailian Navy doesn't quite have the shiphandling skill of the US Navy, but thet're far more bold and extremely fun to work with (and go ashore with).

The British -- I'm afraid Her Majesty's Royal Navy is not that great. They have the history and REMIND YOU OF IT IN EVERY DAMN MEETING... but I digress. I find their shiphandling skills barely proficient and their damage control is somewhat lacking (anyone remember the Sheffield?).

I really didn't like working with anyone other than the Japanese and Aussies (and, of course, other ships of the US Navy).

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Haha, I've seen it all now. An American talking about BRITISH military failings. If I had a pound for every time a thick-head yank 'accidentally' killed one of our boys in friendly fire, I'd be a rich man.

We ruled the seas for years and years, hundreds of years before anyone even dreamt up the idea of an American nation. Of course we're going to be proud of that and show it off. Who cares who's the best currently? How many wars are fought at sea nowadays? pml

That made me chuckle that did, I've had a stressful couple of days and needed that!

18. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I think you could call me a fan of England. The place has so much history and several famous landmarks. They also helped make Australia and America into the countries they are today.

19. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@ The Magister
    Is that such a good thing? They may be great countries (or at least Australia is :D ) but they destroyed the identities of other races just to expand. If you have read the history of the Aboriginal people and how they were/are treated, you would think twice. The Africans who were also enslaved by the British who founded America were also treated extremely poorly.

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

None.

Sorry, but I don't find countries respectable. :bad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.