1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

what do you know about Indonesia ??

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by D171087, May 19, 2006.

1. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Indonesia has the worlds 4th largest population (after China, India, and the United States). It is largely Moslem, and it consists of hundreds of big and small islands in southeast Asia. And, it took by far the largest beating in the tsunami disaster in 2004.

As far as I know, it is a well-developed country with a well functioning democracy.

Edit: On the Mohammed Cartoons: I am sorry that you were insulted. I cannot apologize for what a free newspaper does; however I can state that I find their actions silly and immature.

3. D171087 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Montresor : thanks... i really apreciate what you have post...
    and sorry for everyone that annoyed with my post...

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Indonesia is a beautiful country. Have only ever been there once, for 2 weeks, but it was enough for me to start planning my next trip there (ashame my money situation isn't inline with my plans).

The most facinating site I saw in my time over there was the seriousness of politics. It was nearing some big elections when I visited, and outside of one of the cities I stayed in (even some areas inside) every second house seemed to be waving a party flag of one sort of another. Massive party ralleys came through the streets, blocking the entire thing off for minutes, as they sped past in their cars and motorbikes waving their flags and shouting through mega-phones (just wish I knew what they were saying). It was really amazing.

Another facinating thing that has stuck with me was during a 2 day mountain-biking trip I went on over there, up in some mountains on one of the islands (can't remember which one, unfortunately). Came across a small village, not on the map we had, out in the middle of no where. Stayed there about half a day, just talking with the locals, visiting the local sites. Amazingly friendly people - even if it was hard communicating (the little Indonesian I knew wasn't really enough to have a full convosation with). But the village itself was the thing that's stuck in my mind. It was stunning. The village itself seemed many many centuries old, with big stone walls lining the street, an ancient temple of some sort just outside (couldn't quite work out what it was for), the roads themselves made with stone pavements - it really did seem like something out of a history book, words just don't do it justice.
    And then of course there was the local waterman - biking up and down the streets delivering bottled water to peoples doors. Brought a big smile to my face.

Also, it goes without saying, that there is brilliant scuba diving over there :)

[Edit] The only thing I really disliked was the number of shop keepers who tried to short-change these rich 'Australians'. Would have lost atleast a hundred NZD had we not been warned to look out for that.

[Edit - Mark II] I'm sure no one really cares, but the memories are coming flooding back now, so another small story for you all to skip over ;)

Spent a few days in Kuta (correct me if I've got the name wrong, was a while ago) less than a week before the anniversary of the 2002 Bali Bombings. One particular hot night after not been able to sleep I went for a walk along the beach. About half hour walk from where we were staying, a big (big for a kiwi - around 100 probably) crowd of locals had gathered around a raised area, where some fire dancers and singers were preforming. Spent nearly all night on the beach there, sitting with these locals just watching these acts - once again amazed by the friendlyness of people.

It was a tragic town though. The effects of the bombings were really saddening. Speaking with some of the locals and hearing how much business has plumetted since the bombings only backed up what one could see just walking through the streets - one particular block of buildings stands out in my mind, not sure why, but they do. They were slightly off the centre of the tourist area, in a quieter part of town - beautiful though, was probably the most 'tropical' place I saw while I was over there, with the lush green trees over hunging the small narrow streets. Hmm.. back on topic. This block of shops was certainly one of the more upper class around - it was two stories, all lined with glass. The frames of the windows were painted bright white and the carpet was a dark blue. There were five openings on each floor, facing the main road. But ever single one lay completely deserted - abandoned after the slunk in business as a result of the bombings. It was a saddening site.

[ May 23, 2006, 12:48: Message edited by: Rotku ]

5. D171087 Gems: 2/31

you're right..
    sorry for that election trouble
    to be honest.. not all of Indonesian people have propper education, so here they comes trouble T_T
    did you all have any idea to repair this kind of problem ??

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I know quite a little except that it has the largest muslim population of any other nation, corruption is rife, there's a huge gap between the rich and the poor and they don't really like Australians much.

7. D171087 Gems: 2/31

yeah you right.
    we have that problem, and we (some the youth of this nation) suffer from this kind of thing.
    we want a better life, but well, we dont know where to start. we have a corupt goverment, we had our country betrayed by other, we had a great canyon between the rich and the poor, we had almost all of people of the nation lazy...
    but hey, this life...

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I just heard that Indonesia just got "rocked" by a 6 point-something earthquake that killed over 3,500 people on and around Java island.

So lets see here:
    Tsunamis - check
    A Volcano that's about to blow - check
    Powerfull earthquakes - check
    Worms that aperently like to find their way into a urinal cannal - check :eek:
    More muslims than you can shake a stick at - check

Yeah...I don't think I'll be going there...ever. :outta:

Seriously, it's one thing to build a city on the San Andreas Fault line, or build a house at the base of Mt. St. Helens, or live near a swamp that has nasty worms...but living in a place that has all the above and more? Come on people, there are better places to live... :rolling:

9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Congratulations to your "Idiot of the week" title, you earned it!

What I know about Indonesia: the easternmost island has a border that goes straight through the middle of the island from north to south. Also, komodo dragons live there.

10. D171087 Gems: 2/31

it was 4611 people died until this hour..
    but i'm sure it will increased..

where did you know all of that Kitrax ?? maybe, not all that you heard is right.

hey thanks Bahir !!

haah.. people.. would you all pray for us ?? to have a better life of course...

11. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

about the mohammed case thing, and the relations to jesus etc.

i wouldnt care if you drew(drawed?) a picure of jesus geeting sodomized with a 200 feet Iron pole

12. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't know much about the place, but I know that I'll never visit.

13. D171087 Gems: 2/31

hei why you will never visit us ? is that because what the people that never visit us said something bad about it ?

Balle dont you even believe if you were created by God ?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.