1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the limit of western freedom of expresion?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Liriodelagua, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Wait, in your above post you classified both Christianity and islamism in two total opposite fashions. Why that isn't a stereotype?

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I try to put things into perspective like that, which is getting harder and harder every minute.

3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, I was referring to differences between Christian and Muslim theology. That isn't stereotyping. Unless you call saying "blondes have lighter hair than brunettes" and the like an example of stereotyping.....

[ February 19, 2006, 01:32: Message edited by: Drew ]

4. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Except that there is a little problem, when your uniform Christianity can be branched into at least 3 major branches - and lots of other BS people are making up daily - and islamism is divided into two very opposing and hostile groups - that I know of.
    So yes, it is a bit more complicate than your hair color analogy.

5. Drew

Media:
    There are theological distinctions between Christianity (all sects) and Islam. One area of difference lies in the area of personal responsibility. Christianity does not hold me accountable for the sins of someone who lives 3 apartments down from me. Islam would, so there is a pretty big distinction, there.

While we're on the subject, the theological differences between the Shiites and the Sunni are very tiny. The schism wasn't about theology.....it was about whether or not the lineage of Mohammad should be his successors. It wasn't over the beliefs of Islam at all. It was about power.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've been busy so I'm a bit late to the party, but here goes...

Non-integration of Muslims is just one part of the problem. The other, major (and linked) one, is religion. (The third one is the country where the Muslims live, and the country's allowances towards the Muslims, but I'll get to that later on.) Unlike with the Western concept of religion-when-needed that many of us adopt today, Islam is not even remotely like that. For a "real" Muslim, Islam is a way of life AND their culture, and religion pervades everything they think, say or do, for males and females alike. The encouragement to rape, pillage and kill in the name of God is something most religions have gone through at some point in their history. But the fact is, more or less all of them but Islam now completely shun that perspective. There is no excuse, no matter how grave the insult, that would allow, for example, a Catholic, to kill someone in retribution today. Not in the name of defending the family's honor, not in the name of defending the glory of a saint or Jesus, no way, no how. And there are no priests anywhere that could preach otherwise and remain appointed messengers of their god.

Now switch over to Islam. There is a sizeable chunk of the clergy, practically all of it in Western countries, that holds life as dear as most sensible people do. But there is also a staggering amount of Islamic priests who, when faced with the current crisis, either a) remained silent, effectively giving support to the extremists or b) vocally incited riots and violence and called out for deaths of the people who've made the caricatures. THAT is the major problem, because it gives every Muslim a choice of who to follow. Don't like the peaceful way? No problem - there's always a radical cleric around that'll agree with you that the people who've drawn the caricatures deserve to be killed. There are Islamic clerics in Pakistan and many other countries who have put out bounties in the millions for the heads of the caricaturists.

A few bad apples? Sure. But you only need one to spoil a cartload of good ones when it comes to religion.

And keep in mind that I'm talking strictly about the caricatures issue - Drew's been mixing in a bunch of unrelated issues earlier which have their own reasons for being, but are unrelated to this discussion.

Now on to the third issue I've mentioned above - the country in question. It is definitely true that while Muslims in certain European countries have reacted in more or less the same way, there are countries where they haven't. Unfortunately, the reasons for that are purely in the repressiveness towards Muslims and allowances for public displays of extremism. The UK and many European countries have been going softer and softer on their Muslim population, hoping that if they didn't bother them much, they'd act in kind towards them, and eventually catch on to the European way of thinking and doing things. Big mistake. Exactly the opposite has happened. The authorities have been caught completely off guard and the public was aghast at the sudden public violence and hate coming from dozens of thousands of Muslims, aimed, more or less, at anyone who wasn't Muslim. Rough wake-up call that, unfortunately, the assimilate/integrate-or-emigrate policy that has proven effective in history but has grown to be considered non-PC in the last few decades, is the only policy that works with certain non-native populations (or parts of the population who do their best to remain alien to their new culture).

America, for one, has had the good sense to never drop the strict policy of assimilation. You want to live there? Fine, but you'll adapt or you can go back where you came from. Combine this with the Bush administration's prejudice against Muslims and all the security checks and inspections and suspicions that many Muslims in the US are subject to, it's no surprise that there's no rioting there. I'm sure they have a very good picture of how exactly that would end for them. Rioting and violent protests don't just happen - they happen when certain conditions are met. And the perception that the government and the authorities will go easy on you and that you in fact have some sort of right to be violenty protesting based on preferrential treatment you've been given as a group is a fine foundation for what has been happening in certain European countries. It's a classic example of biting the hand that feeds you. If you're counting on still getting food and not receiving a kick in the head after it, things like that will and do happen.

But even if there was another reason why it came to violent rioting in a certain country, the response from the government and the repressive apparatus makes all the difference. If you get a small riot and identify it as a threat and deal with it swiftly, before it can spread, you've effectively contained the situation. It sends out a very clear message that there's a boundary that can't be overstepped. Because if people know that a certain extremist outpuring will not be even remotely tolerated, the vast majority of them won't attempt it. But if the government and the authorities either a) enourage violent riots or b) watch in disbelief how this can be happening and don't react right away, they've naturally given the rioters and protesters free reign to do as they please.

As far as Europe goes, it's a similar cold shower such as the one that many parents who've been foolish enough to give in to the fad of non-restrictive upbringing are now experiencing with abusive children. There comes the sudden realization, then the disbelief, then resignation - because it's too late to change anything. The only upside is that in the case of countries, policy changes can be made that will eventually start to make a difference, while a parents who screw up the upbrining of their kids really have nothing left but resignation. I think it's all part of a failed cultural fad of giving in more and more in the hopes that it will make people better on its own. The realization that in the majority of cases, it doesn't, is only sinking in now.

[ February 19, 2006, 04:30: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

7. Drew

Media:
    I'd argue that Europe has also been doing a great many things to their Muslim community that Americans would never be foolish enough to do. France, as I mentioned, has been prohibiting Muslim women from wearing headscarves. This can't happen in the US, because we see that as a form of discrimination. If you ask me, one of the main reasons we don't have Muslims rioting in the United States is that we aren't giving them any reason. I also agree, however, that immediately stamping down riots is essential to maintaining peace. There's a fine line between protesting and rioting. The only thing I want people to understand is that Islam is actually an extension of it's culture. Islam can be interpreted to mean a wide variety of things and the problems we have with Islam are actually cultural issues due to a different cultural frame of reference. This is why western Muslims believe in free expression, equal rights, and the seperation of church and state. They come from a different culture. No doubt that we are having problems with many people coming out of the Muslim world but, when we label Islam as the problem, we are missing the point. We are lumping every person who follows Islam in the same group, and that's wrong.

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Numbers, the Problems Europeans have is numbers. Numbers. Even Italians and Yugoslavians can be integrated. It's hard, but possible. The problem is, if they make out 50% of the population, things can get out of hand.

The obvious difference between North-America and Europe with foreigners and integration is, that North-Americans have way lower numbers compared to their whole population to integrate. I've looked up some numbers and I've seen that the biggest percentage of foreigners in the US are concentrated in Californa and New York with over 20%. That's a ridiculously low number.

So no, it may be common myth, but it's not true that the North-Americans and other former over-sea colonies have more insight and experience in integrating foreigners. They always had the advantage of comparably low numbers of new-comers.

On the other hand, I am appalled of the rigidity and forced homogenity of US integration tradition. Many right-wing politicians look at the traditional harshness of the US as an example. I shy away from that. It's the numbers that have to be controlled, if the foreigners don't make up more than a third of the inhabitants of a town, I think integration is easily possible without to much pressure.

But Laicisim is a tradition that will not be easily given away to the cheap and meaningless opinion of any foreigner. No. Establishment of relgious peace between protestants and catholics is one of the biggest achievements of modern society.

9. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

That's a bit complicate statement. If you bother to read Dostoievsky work - mainly Brothers Karamazovi - you will see it is not that black and white - at least in the ROC theology - as you paint it. The idea that you might be guilty before all for inaction for example.
    I will take your word for the schism of the islam. I know not much about it.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Never say never. In that specific case, everyone, not only Muslims, is now prohibited from making excessive public displays of their religion. Small religious trinkets are allowed for everyone. The only problem is the deeply rooted tradition of females being required to cover their heads, which is essentially a form of discrimination in itself. (And yes, I do believe that the interpretation that women willingly cover themselves from head to toe is a load of BS stemming from centuries of brainwashing and male domination.) But, as with many things, you can argue it one way or another. It all depends on your perspective.

In the long run, I think it will prove to have been the correct decision. Because allowed obvious public displays of religion (a cross pendant can be subtle - a headscarf is about as in-your-face as it gets) are another way of allowing a group of people not to integrate, let alone assimilate, into a society. What anyone is wearing in their homes is not the government's business. But what they're wearing outside, to work, and making a public religious statement with every step of the way, certainly is. In my opinion, of course.

11. Drew

Media:
    Tal: asking a devout muslim woman to remove her headscarf is akin to asking most western women to take of their shirts. A headscarf is not a Chidoor. It is not covering the body head to toe. You would wear a Chidoor or an Abaya for that. A headscarf just covers the woman's hair. It is also used by many orthodox Jewish women, so disallowing it affects more than just Muslims. Call the use of headscarves "brainwashing" if you want to, but keep in mind there are parts of the world where the locals don't wear any clothing at all. That would mean that our current western standards of modesty are also the result of "brainwashing".

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Pretty much, yeah. The only two reasons to wear clothing are warmth and securing "flappables". Work wear during the summer should be bathing suits. :p

13. Zenastin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If that's the case, I need to lose a few pounds first. *looks at some of his peers* And I really don't want to see that much of those people... :eek:

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Depending on the degree, that might also qualify under flappables. ;)

15. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

No, there are plenty of muslim women who don't cover their heads, and still consider themselves to be devout muslims. Just because a subset of Islam considers head-covering in women to signal devotion doesn't mean that everyone accepts this....

16. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Actually, because the opinions on scarves differ so much it's better to have a clear rule for them, like none allowed. The bickering, fights and clashes among the different sub-groups and nationalities that are "muslim" about things like scarves are an eternal war of the nerves that gets quickly boring and annoying and just does not end.

And it's completely moot to talk about Turks, Algerians, Albanians and Saudis as "one" group. They are so different, any comment not taking that into account gets meaningless.

To something actually connected to the topic: There is a huge block-buster in Turkey, "Valley of the Wolves" or something, where Christians, Jews, Americans and Europeans are depicted as bloodthirsty not too bright fools. The movies can also be seen in German cinemas. And the head of the Bavarian goverment seems to want to censor that movie...

link

[ February 20, 2006, 18:08: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

17. Drew

Media:
    Not all Muslim women will feel as if they were asked to take off their shirt, but I've seen a lot of women wearing no shirt and just a sports bra in the gym. We would never deign to require all women to strip down to a sports bra. Many would be very uncomfortable doing that and would call such a thing discrimination or (even more likely) sexual harrassment. So, my metaphor actually stands because many western women are OK without a shirt. Many also are not, and we would never think to require them to do something that makes them feel indecent. The difference in modesty standards is just a line in the sand. Muslims coming into the western world have no right to force them to follow their modesty standards. Conversely, the western world has no right to force Muslims to adhere to a standard which they find indecent.

18. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Maybe. In the other hand, the west has the right to prohibite that they come there.

19. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Drew, I think your bra metaphor is flawed. For the very reason you gave: As you said Western women are not forced to dress in a specific way, while muslima clearly are, though not by the ideals of the natives. Where I live not all muslima are free to decide how to dress. Rather it is the man's call. Be it the father or brother or... And the men will make the women obey, by means that vary. A good beating will get the job done in the end anyway.

By our standards that is oppression. Since they live in our nation it is our standards that apply, not their sexist ideas of gender roles - as it is our responsibility to aid these women. You can hardly expect us to follow a policy of double standards. It would be plain racism to have our laws protect the natives though not the foreigners. Yes?

As for Valley of the Wolves: I heard it is big among the Turks in Germany. There is quite the run on the cinemas in Berlin for example. I dont want that movie to get banned or something. Not at all. Let them all come out in the open. Wont be much of a surprise to anyone here. Oh, and it complements the patriotic US movie trash nicely, btw. But I wonder how our American friends feel about having the very people they were lobbying so decisively (EU) agitate against them in that blunt fashion. Exquisite backstabbing anyone? And here some feared the US would introduce their Trojan horse to the EU. ;)

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Drew, I wasn't talking exclusively about headscarves, obviously. As for running around naked; Europeans cover ourselves up because it's just not hot enough most of the year to be able to run around in the nude and not catch a cold, or worse. Certainly not because of any brainwashing or any other reason at this point. Try checking out some beaches here in the summer. There's very little separating most people from running around naked. The other main reason why we clothe ourselves is purely protective and practical. Anything else comes a distant third.

As for there being parts of the world where people go around naked; there are very, very few of them, and only in the consistently hottest places on earth. And it's purely for practical reasons there as well.

As for how Muslim women would feel, decency, etc. The standards of decency in the last 50 years or so depend purely on the amount of cloth covering the sexual organs. Nothing else. By no stretch of imagination could anyone living in a Western society today consider not being allowed to wrap their head in a religious cloth indecent exposure, unless there was some serious religious brainwashing involved, where a woman's head is actually considered a sexual organ and forced to be covered up as such.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.