1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's The Deal With Women Who Slap?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Gaear, Dec 4, 2011.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I agree with LKD and Bruno to be honest. It's an absoute disgrace.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree as well. I can think of very few situations that call for physical violence, from either gender.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LKD, what is militant feminists and where have you met any? Your view and I guess experience of feminism seems to differ greatly from mine.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    "What's The Deal With Women Who Slap ..." Would a gentleman ask such a question?

Double standards are just fine sometimes. Compulsively demanding consistency is probably indicative of a mental condition (or of really really needing to get out more, be it only for fresh air).

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

In the case of slapping, which is a physical assault, the double standard is most certainly not fine. It is morally reprehensible to assert otherwise. If women do not wish to be slapped for mere words, then they should also afford the same consideration to men. If they really believe in equality, that is. Otherwise, their lofty ideals are critically compromised.

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Not to troll LKD, but what about slapping teenagers (who presumably have it coming)?

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only fish slapping is acceptable.

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Why would you slap a fish, to tenderize it?

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Given the aftereffects this clip shows, I'm not sure I can really get behind it... at least without any additional security measures.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Teenagers almost always have it coming.

12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For fish slapping, a trout should be employed.

As for women slapping men, I don't approve. Physical violence is just not a very good way to resolve a conflict.

And I wouldn't hit a woman back for slapping either. Probably. I just don't like hitting. Also, I always feel like I'll break something (or worse, someone) - and past experience has proven that things do start to break if I don't restrain myself. And besides, it's hardly necessary. Just grab her wrists and you've got her immobilised already.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have only been slapped across the face once in my life. It was by my girlfriend when I was in high school. We were having an argument, and I told her to stop acting like such a bastard. As became clear in immediate hindsight, that was a very poor choice of words. You see, the issue was she actually WAS a bastard - her parents were not married at the time of her birth, and in fact never got married. She lived with her mother and stepfather, and never even met her biological father.

Here's the thing though: I certainly didn't mean for my comment to be interpreted literally. I could have just as easily told her to stop acting like an a-hole, and it would have got my intended point across just as well... but I went with bastard for whatever reason. As soon as I go the swat across my face, I realized why my intended meaning was not how the comment was received.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol:

I suspect that it wouldn't have been received well regardless of the woding you used. :p

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'd never hit a woman. Ever.

If she was going absolutely skitz at me, I'd just get out of the way, or at the very worst, grab her to try and stop her. I'd never raise a hand though. If I ever saw a guy hit a girl, even if he got hit first, I'd jump in and give the guy smack. There's just no place for it, it's absolutely disgusting and one of the things that truly makes my blood boil.

I got in a fight the other night, he gave me a few bumps and bruises, and chipped my tooth, however he was just being a twat because he was was drunk... for me, I'd leave it there, fight over, all done move on, these things happen... however, I have since learnt that the same night he got handy with his girlfriend, and I know the girl, she's lovely... so if I ever see him again I'm definitely going with him again. Bastard.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I have met plenty, and have discussed my personal experiences with them numerous times on these boards. They are the extremist whackos of the movement. The ones who claim that all sexual contact between men and women is at its core rape. The ones who play the gender card every time something doesn't go their way. The ones who file harassment suits if a man dares to say "that Angelina Jolie is cute" on the job while women can hear.

I agree with equal pay for equal work. I believe that women should be able to choose any profession they wish. I believe that women are as capable of rational thought as men. I believe that women should be allowed to give evidence in court and have that evidence weighed as equivalent to the evidence of a man, all other things being equal. These are common sense things.

But the rabid anti-man stance of some of these whackos (who object to the word "history" because it has a male pronoun in it) is just too much for me, and I oppose THAT sort of horsemanure at every opportunity.

17. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @jaocqin

A bit off-topic, yet possibly part of the background. I don't know what things are like in Europe, but in North America, quite a few universities have their share of man hating lesbians who, explicitly or covertly, believe in wiping men off the face of the earth to make way for a lesbian utopia. It seems like fantasy, until (like me) you've met a few and had to deal with them personally.

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't you mean "horsepersonure"? :p

19. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    That raises a tangential double-standard, interestingly ...

- (Just a thought, but she may have partially objected to being called a name that's typically reserved for men.) -

You rarely hear women called "a-holes," "bastards," "d*cks," (which is unfair because men can be called the p-word), and probably a few others. It's as though doing so is just over the line, even for people who hate each other. (Sort of like Christina Applegate's character saying Ron Burgundy [Will Ferrell] had bad hair in Anchorman. He could tolerate having his mother called a wh*re, but not an insult at his hair.)

Somehow this sounds like it will be one of those unannounced things, like a hockey fight where everyone knows it's going to happen ahead of time but there's no vocal exchanges, just a nod and it's on. ;)

Manure is probably okay since it refers to sh*t.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, I certainly wasn't going to pick a female piece of anatamy and refer to her as that. Especially the c-word - that is most assuredly over the line to most women. And I don't consider a-hole to be reserved for men. We all have them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.