1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the point of using a Duergar?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Fistleaf, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I see this popping up often enough to warrant an extra warning.

Yes, you can effectively erase the exp gap by bringing a singular character to same level as the rest of your party. And making one of the biggest mistakes you can do in IWD2. You'll effectively raise your party's average level by a whole level by leveling JUST ONE character - thus gaining less experience for killing subsequent monsters - instead of using the book on someone that would actually benefit from the extra exp. Your party's wizard/sorcerer or cleric, perhaps?

2. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    :hmm:That sounds pointless; wouldn't the other character also go a level up, similarly raising the average party level? It's essentially the same thing. Maybe this is an idea though: What about waiting and not using the tome? Just store it in your Bag of Holding, and use the XP before resting for the final battle. Not only will you have gained 10,000XP at a point when kills are worth much less, but you'll also have a better idea of which character can use it best:).

3. Sir Rechet

Oh, the end result about experience levels and such might as well be the same, but for heaven's sake, don't use the tome on your lowest level guy JUST so that he could be the same level as the rest. Use it on the character that gets the most bang for the buck for it. In just about all the cases I can think of, this should be your party's main offensive spellcaster, be it sorcerer, wizard or druid at the time.

4. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    :(I must disagree here: As you've been saying, being a level higher can have negative consequences to the amount of XP gained, and using the tome at the end of the game (or even in Heart of Fury:bigeyes:) will prevent this higher level from counting towards your party's average level through chapters 4, 5 and 6 of the game. It's a (partial) level kept in reserve, which is more acceptable than plain level squatting:).

5. Sir Rechet

Oh, sorry about the miscommunication. I meant that you might end up raising your average party level with that tome whether you give it to your ECL guy or some other, but JUST to erase the level gap to your other characters should be the last of the concerns on that priority queue.

Now that you mentioned it - bringing just one ECL+1 race such as Aasimar to an otherwise non-ECL party might not be enough to push the rest of the party towards higher level due to these very tomes, one in normal and one in HOF. But a Deep Gnome with its ECL+3 is pretty much a sure thing.

When your total ECL penalty goes above the amount of people in your party, there's actually a slight possibility that any non-ECL characters might end up a whole TWO levels higher than they otherwise would.

6. Goldentivne Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Having a fighter armed with a two-handed weapon, bull strength, power attack, improved critical, who can turn himself invisible and introduce a "baddie" to his party with a sounding smack is priceless, :) IMO, Druegar in IWD II, should only have a 1 level penalty, however; they are still quite fun.

7. Stuntman Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I wanted a fighter that was resistant to paralysis as getting my fighters hit by hold person was really annoying. The duergar has immunity to paralysis. However, the -2 during daylight in addition to being 2 levels lower makes for a possible -4 hit penalty compared to a gold dwarf. I find that a gold dwarf with its already +2 saves vs. spells just seems a better value than the duergar. I just don't feel that the immunity to paralysis for those odd times I run into enemy clerics is worth taking a -2 or -4 penalty to attacks all the time.

8. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

About Invisibility: almost any fighter with decent Dex can turn himself "invisible" with a minimal investment in Hide skill. (Unfortunately it doesn't help your chances of attacking successfully AFAIK although it might prevent the enemies from getting their DEX bonus.) Thus, you don't need to be a Duergar/Svirfneblin to do this trick.

Invisibility as an innate spell is chiefly useful for disengaging from combat, which Hide can't do.

-Max

9. Sir Rechet

Sure, if you compare just the dwarves. But the REST of your party surely appreciates two individual level's worth of average party level reduction and thus more exp here and there. ;)

10. Stuntman Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I've already got that covered with my Svirfneblin Ranger 1/Monk X. On top of the 3 ECL, I'm taking a -20% XP penalty as well after level 3. I also have an Aasimar and Tiefling as well. Should be enough to lower the party level I would think.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.