1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When and Why Does International Law Get Obeyed?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Ragusa,

Tell that to your government and the French. They voted for or abstained from the 17 resolutions against Iraq in the last 12 years. Now they don't want to live up to their responsibilities. "If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk." It is really easy to make threats you never intend to follow though on. It is much harder to stand up and take responsibility for your statements.

joac,

You claim that the US is going to lose all her allies if she defies the UN? That is funny considering that the majority of the EU and Candidate EU nations are joining with the US in a call for action. The fact of the matter is, the US is not the equivalent of the "bad cop" on the block, and even if she is, when things go bad, everyone cries out for that same "bad cop" to come save them. Fact of the matter, as the UN continues to weaken itself, the paradigm of nations will shift. Some nations will flock to the US, some will oppose. However it is not the US's fault that the UN is weakening itself. The US is simply the mechanism by which the weakness is displayed. The actual blame for the current situation lies at the feet of the UN. If the UN had enough foresight to handle Iraq properly in the first place, or to enforce the rules it passed along the way, this situation would not exist. The entire issue with Iraq is just of symptom of a much greater ill within the UN. One that if not quickly addressed, will rot it from the core. When the head dies, the body must follow.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ragusa - I get the feeling from your responses that you believe I am trying to justify the way the US deals with the UN. Understandable given that I am indeed an American, but that is not my intent. I was really trying to deal with the more abstract question in the topic, and used the modern day examples of the US and Europe to illustrate two very different ways of thinking.

But let me try to answer your specific questions on the US in an abstract way.

A country doesn't need to be seen as moral, and may not even care if they are seen as moral. The US luckily does care, and appeals to conscience have an effect as you can see on these boards when America gets "bashed".

I would most definitely have to say that it is power that allows a country to interfere in another country's sovereignty. Belief of moral superiority may be the impetus behind it, but it is surely power that allows it.

Because if they are weak, it is in their interest to do so. If they do not have the power to enforce their own will, they must appeal to international law to protect their interests.

They shouldn't. Which, as I said above, is what I see as the main problem with the UN as the enforcer of international law.

Now let me comment on some of your statements.

Agreed. But is a cop, who uses force to bring a criminal to justice, breaking the law just because his peers would rather talk to the criminal and pay him to stop being a criminal?

Again agreed. But if a country cannot get a satisfactory solution to a percieved threat that is clearly violating the will of the international community, should they stand by and allow a threat to become a danger because the purported enforcers of that international law will not enforce it?

Then either the UN and the world have to recognize this double standard when it comes to the US, or the other world powers must become more powerful so that the US cannot ignore the mandates of the UN.

If the UN and international law were respected by all, then the world would not be a bad place. Unfortunately there are still many in the world who do not.

Sprite - I don't know that I would say "mostly" which is why I qualified my words with "partly", but yes, I would say that it is a major factor.

Appeasement is always the more risky option; again I point to North and South Korea. Your neighbor may take your bribes and make any agreement you want and then go right back to what they were doing. Even worse they may look at you as weak because you are willing to appease them, and they will learn that by being "bad" they can get what they want.

Containment is also not the province of the weak; you must be strong in order to contain. The weak option is to attain voluntary agreement to your demands by offering something to your adversary in exchange.

The other side of the coin is not, by the way, war. It is the ability to influence your neighbor through force or threat of force. It is the ability to impose consequences upon an unwilling adversary.

[ February 24, 2003, 23:47: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

3. Andy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

well, as the energy plan to discontinue north korea's nuclear program was halted by the us, and then the US turn around and complain that they recontinue their nuclear program.

It is a bit cynical to say that countries always act out of self-interest, eg. Kosovo, Europe and the US didn't have any interests in the Balkans, but they still went in as peace-keepers and stopped a mass-genocide.

But it is a bit much that the US complain that France are being awqward and acting in self-interests, when the US are the main protagonists of this, Read the Kyoto Protocol.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, this is going a bit off topic, but the reason the US (and others) discontinued the energy plan was because the US found out the North Korean's were secretly enriching Uranium in violation of the agreements which enabled the energy plan.

I don't know that the US is complaining about France acting in self-interest. I think mainly the complaints are that France is blocking/ threatening to block others from acting in their self-interest. I will also say there is a difference between not signing a treaty (Kyoto Protocol), and not living up to the obligations of a treaty you belong to (NATO).

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    It is naive to say europe intervened in Kosovo because of human rights. They were one motive, politics, however, is never mono-causal. The fear of masses of albanian refugees trying to come to greece and italy and eventually germany (costing us money to feed them) was another strong motive.

BTQ, I'm unsure what to tink about standing to NATO pobligations and not signing a treaty in reference to france. I may misunderstand you there. However:
    France has went an independent way since it left NATO under de Gaulle. That was because France felt that the US were unwilling to put europe under the "nuclear umbrella" against the russians, fearing that the US would be intimidated by the thought the east-west conflict in europe could escalate and come to the US. That's basically why they started their own nuclear program. Since then France is associated with NATO, but not a member. Despite that french troops were based in germany to fight at our side against the russians in case of war.

And it is injust to blame the french not to care about international security, blocking the able and willing US - as I repeatedly heared from some americans. Much more than others they do the opposite. France actually is guarding the US back in dark places like africa, for example intervening in the actual crisis in ivory coast, enable the US to concentrate elsewhere. Of course, there is much french money and there are many french people endangered in this area but anyway.
    French carrier aircraft have been the only ones of the multinational alliance that were tasked with close air support for US forces in Afganistan. Frace is the only central european country with capabilities close to the US. And france is actually willing to go to war in Iraq at need - but not under the US conditions.

Insofar you're putting it quite right when you say that france is blocking others from acting in their self-interest :shake:

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
  7. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

France was not an active member of NATO from De Gaulle onwards but became active again in the mid-90's. Over peacenik objections, if I remember correctly, since France does not have the best track record with nuclear testing, plus is actually more trigger-happy than the US (the US, just for one example, has never blown up a Greenpeace ship no matter how tempted they might have been).

This must be said for the French position on Iraq: at least it reflects the will of the people and is therefore the democratic position. While I disagree with the French position on this issue, at least I am pleased the citizens' will is being done- which cannot be said for the UK, and probably not for the US either.

In all this talk of motivations ranging from weakness to Elf Fina (which may be factors for the government but not for most of the citizens), let's remember another reason France fears action that would anger Islamist extremists further. There is a very high North African/Arab population within the country and a lot of racial and faction-based violence. France has already suffered enormously from the type of terrorism that has only now become real to most Americans, and this will explode if France participates in a US-led attack on Iraq. No one wants another 9/11, and France is extremely conscious of the fact that the next one is likely to be on their own soil if they aren't careful. The average French person couldn't care less about the Elf Fina company, or about poking the US in the eye, she is worried about her family's safety. This is consistent with what I hear from my American friends; most of them oppose US-led action against Iraq because they think it will lead to more terrorism rather than less. The difference is that the US is not listening when its citizens say this.

Mostly we hear what Americans think of the French position, but in the interests of fairness I urge you to read for yourselves what France itself has to say about the French position. Like most diplomatic speeches it's fluff, but you can at least discern that France *does* oppose Hussein's activities in no uncertain terms, and is quibbling only about the method of stopping them.

Diplomatie.fr

8. Andy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

But how do nato have an obligation in Iraq?

The name suggests that they only have obligations in threats to the north atlantic.

As Iraqs furthest range is 120 miles, that means that the middle east is in danger, but not europe or the US. And they have no links to terrorist organisations able to smuggle weapons of mass destruction into high security countries.

America not signing up to the Kyoto Protocol (while accounting for 25% of world carbon based emissions) was an example of countries acting out of self-interest.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Um... Turkey is a member of NATO. Turkey wanted support in its defense since it has a border with Iraq. Belgium, France and Germany blocked NATO from planning the defense of Turkey, even though they were obligated to do so by the terms of the treaty.

10. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I thought I read somewhere that part of the agreement of NATO was that members would back other members during a war. I may just be thinking of something else.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Do not Turkey themselves be quite questioned to this whole thing? IIRC there was a voting yesterday or something was not able to secure the right for US troops to go through Turkey.
    And NATO is a defence organisation if a member is attacked the others are bound to come and help him. The controversy now is that no NATO member has been attacked.

12. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

These are the articles of the N.A.T.O treaty, which are reffering to the obligations of the members in case of an attack. According to my interpretation an attack must take place first and then the other members of the treaty are obliged to assist the member, who is under attack. Until now Iraq has not attacked Turkey or stated that it is going to attack Turkey.

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You forgot Articles 3 and 4.

Article 3 obliges members to provide defensive support when another member feels threatened.

Article 4, which is what Turkey felt obliged to invoke when efforts to plan for Turkey's defense were stymied, obliges all members to consult if any of the members feels threatened.

France, Belgium and Germany failed in both of these articles.

Joacqin - That's a different matter you're referring to. The US wants to base some of its force in Turkey, not for the defense of Turkey, but to be able to launch an attack if necessary on Iraq.

14. BOC

BTA
    Article 3 states that the members of the alliance must maintain armed forces in order to resist an armed attack. It doesn't state that they are obliged to provide defensive support to a member that feels threatened.

Article 4 uses the verb "consult". "Consult" doesn't mean "send military aid to the member who feels threatened". In the official Greek translation of the treaty it is translated as "advise". Therefore it doesn't obliged the other members to send military aid, it obliges them to discuss with the threatened member and nothing more.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Article 3 states: "...separately and jointly, by means of continuous and effective self-help and mutual aid, will maintain and develop their individual and collective capacity to resist armed attack".

Since Turkey rightfully felt that the possibility of attack from Iraq if war broke out was high, they wanted (and 16 of the 19 other NATO members wanted) support in planning its defense. Article 3 indicates that there will be maintained a collective capacity to resist armed attack. Turkey obviously felt it did not currently have that capacity and asked for help to do so. The three above mentioned states prevented even the planning of any aid from proceeding, so Turkey felt obliged to invoke Article 4.

Yes, Article 4 states "consult". Turkey invoked Article 4, and the three states mentioned above refused. I said nothing of them refusing to send military aid in regard to Article 4.

[ March 03, 2003, 16:47: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

16. BOC

BTA
    Article 3 states "to resist an armed attack" not "to resist a possible armed attack". There is a huge difference between these two phrases.

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    It states a capacity to resist armed attack which implies capability prior to an attack.

Hehe, now I know why those diplomats have to choose their words so carefully! :)

[ March 04, 2003, 00:22: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Internationl law can actually even justify a pre-emptive war when an enemy attack is imminent. This has been decided by the UN on a case-by-case basis.
    So it depends on circumstances. That means there is no right to go to a pre-emptive war, you have to justify yourself and your reasons to the world. And Art.3 of the NATO charter that means exactly that.
    However, in the cold war the NATO position was not to strike first, even going so far that in the regular NATO exercises the situation always was that Warsaw pact forces had entered NATO territory already.
    It would be a very new, and IMO errant, interpretation of Art.3 to suggest that a pre-emptive war would be consensus and generally accepted.

An iraqi threat to turkey is a joke. In northern turkey there is a stripe of 100km where not a single iraqi soldier is. The turkish army could, if they wanted, be in Baghdad within two weeks. They don't do it because it would isolate them in the arab world - and because there's nothing to win - they have the best position available already: they control the springs of Euphrate and Tigris and in this region water is more valuable than oil. And they know it.

And if you were Saddam: Would you fire your few missiles you've left to turkey or perhaps ... rather to israel with the option of it responding and provoking arab reactions? More, Saddam is seemingly quite happy about the disputes among NATO, why should he seriously risk uniting them again by attacking turkey? Even germany, with our moron chancellor, could not refuse to aid turkey then.
    So what could Saddam's gain by that? Now don't tell me he's a madman anyway :shake: - for a madman he has always been quite rational ...

IMO the promotion of the iraqi threat to turkey is a tool to put pressure on NATO and on the anti-war fraction of the european countries, but of course, that's just my, humble as ever, opinion ;)

[ March 05, 2003, 21:00: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] I never claimed Article 3 suggested anything about a preemptive war. What it talks about is a cooperative effort on the part of its members to develop and maintain the ability to resist armed attack.

All Turkey wanted was to initiate planning for its defense. Regardless of how you happen to feel about how threatened Turkey should feel, they obviously felt threatened and wanted help. They are a NATO member and asked for help from the other members and were rejected by only those 3 out of the 19.

And IMO, the rejection by those three was a political tool used by the anti-war faction to reinforce their view that a war with Iraq is not necessary. A poor reason, again IMO, not to live up to the obligations of a treaty for which they signed on. ;)

20. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I agree with BTA for the most part, but I think the whole deal was just a political exercise. If Turkey were to be attacked, I think that France and the rest of her buddies would fulfill their NATO obligations. Speaking theoretically, though, they wanted to once again state their "anti-war on Iraq" position.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.