1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Where have all the Aliens gone?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Kitrax, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

uh... am i the only one on this board who believes in aliens/UFO's? If I understand it correctly, UFO sightings haven't at all vanished, they're still being regularly reported to the police, the media, and UFO research groups around the world. It's just that the mainstream media doesn't seem to pick up on these stories like they used to. One has to keep in mind that the vast majority of sightings aren't ever reported.

There is no doubt that UFO's exist. After all, the term ufo is short for "unidentified flying object", which can be anything from a bird to a plane to a weather balloon. Strictly speaking, the term 'UFO' doesn't at all translate as 'alien spacecraft', although that is what it almost always means.
    Here's some interesting statistics i found in a book: Roughly 90-95% of all reported UFO's prove to be man-made aircraft or unrecognized natural phenomenon. Approx. 1.5-2% are outright hoaxes. The remaining 3-8.5% of all sightings are thise which appear to be aircraft of nonhuman origin. Most people are concered with this last group.
    So there you have it, although most of it is explainable, there is always that slim margin which can't be explained aways so easily.

Ok there, i'm done

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I never said that Trek had fewer technological inconsistencies than SG-1. Considering the amount of actual advanced technology you see in SG-1 is minute in comparison to Trek, that's really not surprising.

Not paying attention? SG-1 is still running, so it can't spawn sequels yet. It has, however, already spawned Atlantis, which is running alongside SG-1. Unless you're referring to the Stargate movie, which really has nothing to do with this discussion, since we're discussing TV series here. The Trek movies started as tie-ins and promotional tools for the shows, and most (all?) of them were just that. They weren't made because the public in general liked Trek movies so much. They had, for the most part, the same audience as the series. And in its glory days, there was way more money behind Trek than any other SF show, so making one movie after another just to show off was a given. Until the bubble burst, and movies and series died a quick death.

I was talking about Trek in general. TNG was the best of the bunch in the opinion of many, but it ended way before SG-1 did. In fact, all of Trek is dead in the water right now, and for the foreseeable future. What does that say about the Trek following? There obviously weren't enough viewers to keep one current Trek show going; with Stargate there are 2, running concurrently.

Actually, my comment was tongue-in-cheek since the whole topic is silly to a degree. I didn't really expect anyone trying to find the meaning of life, the universe and everything in it.

Well, maybe niche market in the US, since pretty much every SF show in existence (with a few exceptions) originated there, and is still either running or re-running, but outside the US, people don't get nearly as wide a SF selection. Trek and Stargate are really the most popular around here.

As for nearing the cultural impact of Star Trek - nothing really can, considering Trek has been a presence for, oh, what, some 40 years now? And that with a dozen movies and different shows. As for Star Wars - it's really only such a phenomenal success in the US. Most people here are completely indifferent to it (me included). So I think this is again another US-specific phenomenon.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I think he was talking movies. There've been 10 ST movies, but only 1 SG movie IIRC. Another issue is the books: the market is absolutely flooded with ST books (literally hundreds, perhaps thousands), but I've yet to hear of a SG book anywhere. :heh:

:bs: It means that they're loyal to Trek, not some bastardized version that they slapped a label on. Enterprise was not Star Trek, and the viewership reflected that. The real ones lasted seven seasons each (except for the first one which was ahead of its time), but Enterprise didn't deserve even one episode. :p

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

*GASP*! What about the Tatooine bar scene? Plenty of ugly aliens! Or if you are looking for larger aliens, Jabba the Hutt. Cutesy, pah!

No, but you are correct: all of the main ones (as in, most of the movie) were not intense aliens...

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I guess this thread is getting hijacked into a debate about sci-fi icons in pop culture. :tie:
    I was referring to the movie, actually, and of course it's relevant. The show wouldn't exist without out the movie, and is based completely off of it - same characters and everything. And the topic of the thread is alien lore in popular culture in general. Since when did this turn into a discussion strictly about TV shows?
    Well they sure as hell weren't packing theaters for Shatner's acting ability. :shake: No - there was a lot of mainstream public demand for Star Trek movies. My older brothers and their friends just about sh*t themselves every time a Star Trek movie came out, and they were all a bunch of jocks. Not Trekkies.
    I don't know where you get this. Star Trek ended in 1969. The first movie came out in 1979, followed by 4 other Star Trek movies before TNG ever arrived on the air, all of which were blockbusters. How could they be a tie-in for a show that wasn't even on the air anymore? How exactly is one of the most successful movie franchises of all time (up to that point, at least) just showing off? Star Trek movies were packing theaters long after the original show had died, and long before anyone had any inkling a new series was coming down the pipe (which, I might add, was terribly received its first season). Movies don't make that much money and attract that much interest on fan-boys alone.
    Well then knock off the snide retorts if this is all so tongue in cheek to you. It's not serious to me either, I just happen to think you don't totally know what you're talking about here, and felt like contesting you. Not as a mod, of course - but as a fellow poster. Oh yeah - and it's 42. ;)

I'm sorry, but saying that Stargate is bigger than Trek ever was - despite 10 movies (most of which made tons of money and were very well received), 5 series (all on major networks), hundreds of books, an immense cultural impact and legions of Trekkies who pack convention halls to this day - is ridiculous. Compared to 1 movie and 2 series that, yes, while both are long running, definitely aren't indicators of widespread commercial popularity. It means they're filling a niche left empty by Trek, X-Files, Babylon 5, and, to some extent, Hercules and Xena. They've had a successful run because right now they're the only game in town. Neither SG show are on major networks (Sci-fi and Showtime aren't major) - hence, they aren't considered enough of a ratings draw for prime time. Every Star Trek show got prime-time billing, regardless of their quality. I'm not a Trekkie by any stretch and even I know that much.

So saying Stargate is bigger than Trek ever was is like saying the Backstreet Boys were bigger than The Beatles ever were. It's only true from a very narrow point of view, and even then it's a stretch.

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I wouldn't go as far to say that I do believe in them, but I certainly believe it's possible.

I think that maybe (just maybe) these alien sightings are not aliens, but actually evolved humans travelling back in time to study us.

Of course, I've been known to be kinda silly too. ;)

Oh yeah, Star Trek is THE BEST Sci-Fi series in the history of man-kind.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Excepting all other scifi series ever made, I agree completely.

9. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Indeed. Oh, how I miss Babylon 5 ever so muchly. :( :sosad:

All hail Emperor Londo Mollari II. :cool:

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've added to my post there a couple of minutes after I've posted it, I'm not sure if you've seen that. Delves more into that. The movies/series deal with Trek and SG is not really comparable, because the Trek movies were made mostly as part of the series (especially the earlier ones - if you haven't seen the actual Khaan episodes, you'll be clueless for most of the movie, for example), whereas SG-1 as a show was made because of the popularity of the original movie. Big difference. And there aren't really THAT many Trek books, a few hundred at best. But considering how long Trek has been around, that's hardly surprising. And there's a lot more there to make novels from, unlike SG-1, which has a pretty focused plot.

And I've seen SG novels in bookstores here myself, actually.

Sorry, but of what I've seen, Enterprise was one of the best Treks. Certainly better than Voyager. It's a funny coincidence that TOS ended up almost like Enterprise - after 3 seasons, because of the lack of viewership... Not overall viewership, mind - they're still making a ton from syndication and VHS/DVD sales, I'm talking about viewership on the original air dates, which is what really matters to the people supplying the money.

You don't think Jabba's cute and cuddly? What's wrong with you? :nuts: :lol:

Well, we've been comparing shows before, until you've suddenly started talking about the movies... Or over-analyzing my original comment. I was going to cry off-topic a long time ago, but you keep going at it. Read above for the rest.

I see the concept of syndication is alien to you (pun intended). :lol:

Every Trek ever made has been sold, resold and syndicated to a gazillion TV stations and re-running for decades. Trek's never gone off the air. TOS is still being re-run today in the US, not to mention every other Trek series. And outside the US (you have to broaden your perspective a bit), almost every show is shown with a delay. Sometimes years of delay. So many parts of the world only recently got to see, say, DS9 or Voyager. Maybe not even in full - foreign TV stations frequently buy only a part of the series and don't show it all unless the viewership warrants it. So it could be a very long time before the people who aren't lucky enough to live in the US get to see any Trek series in full, for example. Movies help immensely in raising the public awareness about the shows outside the US; hence being great promotional tools. You know, the part of my statement you've conveniently left out.

I think you need to take a good look at who's started with the snide remarks and condescending attitude. The feeling's mutual, though unfortunately you seem to be dragging it from one thread to another. If you have some unresolved issues with me it'd make more sense if you let it all out in PM and not make pointless confrontations about it in public. I didn't post in this thread to have to keep reading about how you're firmly convinced that you're right about everything and that I'm wrong about everything. I get that now and then from people here, so trust me, it's nothing new to me, and nothing I particularly enjoy being part of. So, again, hit the PM button and have at it there if you really need to. Either that, or accept the fact that not everyone will always agree with you, and that in the end, my opinion here isn't worth any more than anyone else's. And this is a place to exchange opinions, not a forum for pissing contests where someone always wins. You don't agree with me? Fine, no problem, you've made that clear. You don't need to resort to cheap tricks to "win" in this debate. There are no winners here, because it's not a contest.

Talk about summarizing my points wrong... :rolleyes: So, please, give it a rest, since you obviously have little interest in discussing what I actually wrote, but only what you'd like to think that I wrote, or things taken out of context.

11. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I think aliens have become mundane. We've seen the worst that they can do (Independence Day, War of the Worlds, Fire in the Sky, Signs) and we've seen the best that they can do (ET, Starman). It's hard to conceptualize them as any better, worse or different than the worn out realizations of them in our media.

"Alien" fear is greatest in times when peoples fears are more esoteric. Today our fears are real, gritty and close to home...doesn't leave too much room for alien musings. Fear of nuclear anihillation, cold war and commie threat tend to promote the mindset necessary for alien fears and sightings to promulgate.

On a side note, I find SG1 to be almost unwatchable. Aside from enjoying Harry Dean Anderson making fun of himself, I find the plot lines to be predictable and repetitive. Everytime I watch it I'm reminded of when I read it in an Arthur C. Clarke short story from 1963.

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Since I can see defending that myself on the overdramatic crap you just threw at me (this wasn't a serious debate, Tal, and I wasn't aking it as seriously as you seem to be) will probably get this thread closed, or get me banned, I'll be finishing this in a PM later when I have more time.

13. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Stargate ? Never heard of it....

As for main question, I was always wondering why UFO most often appears in the USA...hmmm...any ideas ?... ;) ...

14. Felinoid

Then your taste is beyond repugnant. :p Star Trek had meaning; Enterprise was just a lame attempt to cash in on a name, not unlike all those horrendous movie sequels that ride only on the fame of the original. When Trek was trying to make a point, they built up to it and then revelealed it; when Enterprise did it, they shoved it in your face at the beginning and then kept jabbing you with it. To summarize: Trek had style :cool: , Enterprise didn't.

Even assuming evenly spread visits, there are a number of factors that would lead to Americans noticing it more. I'll leave it up to you to determine what those are. :D

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You obviously didn't watch much of Enterprise if you think Star Trek had more meaning or style. And please; Star Trek bludgeoned you with the social commentary all the time. Recurring bludgeonings from Star Trek: Power corrupts; Humans are better than machines; Humans are better off without machines controlling their lives; Human feelings can be troublesome, but they're what make Humans great... I could probably go on.

As far as aliens, it's probably that there are more important things going on in the world, so they just aren't reported on as much.

16. Felinoid

No, I watched Enterprise, and that's why it's not Trek. :p The others were subtler; their plots distracted you until they were ready for the commentary reveal, though some running commentaries were in there as background (the only ones Enterprise did at least satisfactorily). Enterprise would smack you in the face with one-timers right away because that was blatantly what the epsiode (and plot) was all about.

Take the first HIV episode, for example. Anyone who watched it knows exactly which one I'm talking about, but if you were to ask the same kind of thing about an epsiode from the earlier series, you might actually get some people scratching their heads because it was camoflaged too well for them to get it (likely bottom of the barrel, but still).

Trek had plot with a moral; Enterprise had plot or a moral. :rolleyes:

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah! I completely disagree. I can only imagine the original Trek seems more subtle to you because you didn't live during those times; Star Trek was as much a bludgeon as Enterprise IMO. And good SF is not about morals, it's about exploring the Human condition.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have to agree with Blackthorne TA on this one - the original Star Trek series was about as subtle as a wrecking ball.

On top of that it had bad acting and incredibly corny writing. Still, it was fun while Enterprise just seemed to be tired and bland.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Stargate is still going??!! I thought that had been canned years ago! It's really still going? Next thing you're going to tell me that Three's Company is still going.

Anyway, I agree with Kitrax - alien (and ghost) sightings were much more interesting back in the pre-digital photography age. Those blurry UFO images and shadowy ghosts standing behind people in family portraits were brilliant but you'd never believe them nowadays.

20. Felinoid

Well, you got the last half of that right. :D I haven't seen much of the original series because I was far too young during that time to care about anything like that, and it's so scarce now and not really a priority with school and BG. But I did watch TNG, DS9, and Voyager pretty religiously when they were going; those series were definitely Trek. :bigeyes:

Stargate pretty much flies under the radar lately here in the US, with only an occasional mention on the Sci-Fi channel. (Well, I don't know how everybody's local channels are, but mine consider it as dead as Sliders.)

And I think the aliens are closer than we think; how else do you explain Bush? :alien:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.