1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finally finished The Wind-up Bird Chronicle - which was good, but I couldn't really recommend it to anyone. Something which I couldn't pinpoint that really irritated me about it was 'What was the point of writing this story?' - there just didn't seem to be a reason for it to exist. It wasn't that it was poorly written or executed - I just don't see why the author wrote it at all, if that makes any sense...

I also have recently read The Phantom of the Opera, which was funky, and am now reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, which hasn't made a great impression thus far.

*sigh* Why can't all magical realism be as brilliant as One Hundred Years of Solitude?

2. matko5 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

thus spoke zarathustra and drizzt series "passage to dawn"

edit

i'm thinking of reading "a feast for crows" by martin

3. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I just read Odd THomas by (I think) Dean Koontz, which was great, and I highly recommend it. There's a strong fantasy element to it, enough to satisfy buffs, but not enough to annoy non-fans.

I'm now reading Prey, by Michael Crichton. It's good too, but I'm waiting til the end to make a judgment.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Someone (Amaster iirc) also mentioned that book Daie. He said it had "the most traumatizing ending" I think. I may pick it up :D

(Referring to Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz)

5. Daie d'Malkin

Traumatizing is the word. I almost cried..... Um, in a manly way *sheepish grin*

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just started "The Darkness that comes Before" by R. Scott Bakker. Hope it's as good as everyone says it is and helps me fill the gap before Bonehunters and A Dance with Dragons show up.

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Kurt Vonnegut - Play Piano

Just started it.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Old Tin Sorrows - I really liked it. I have moved on to book 5 - Dread Brass Shadows.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

10. Daie d'Malkin

I just got my amazon order from sunday night....

New books:

Forever Odd, Dean Koontz, the sequel to Odd Thomas. Looks good

Gardens of the Moon, Steven Erikson. You guys cnvinced me to try his stuff. Here goes nothing...

Edit: New Gem! Yay! I can;t beleieve its taken me 4 years to get 450 posts!

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Daie - good luck with Gardens of the Moon.

I'm about 20% of the way through "The Darkness that Comes Before" by R. Scott Bakker. So far, it seems OK. The epic scope reminds me of Erikson but without Erikson's amazing ability to breath life into the most minor characters. The only dubious thing so far for me is that the plot seems to revolve around that tired old device of the second coming of a Dark Lord (the Lord of the Rings plot so often copied by others, especially Terry Brooks). But still seems pretty good so far.

12. Newfie Banned

After the praise you guys gave Erikson, I picked up Gardens of the Moon and DeadHouse Gates myself. Pretty good read so far (Gardens of the Moon); a bit too militaristic and structured for my taste but I give the man credit for his attention to detail and complex characters. A lot of work went into this world.

I also just finished The Briar King which was good stuff as well. It dragged a bit at the start (I know he was laying the foundation down), but then it got grim and dirty in the middle and the end was as rousing as any good fantasy novel.

I also have a Guy Gavriel Kay novel "The Summer Tree" which I started but kind of lost me and I picked up Erikson instead. Anybody out there recommend Kay?

13. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Just finished Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. Now moving on to the Liveship Traders Trilogy.

14. Daie d'Malkin

Why does everyone go from Farseer to Liveship Traders?

Does no-one move onto Fool's Errand?

15. Harbourboy

I second that.

I would read them in the order Farseer - Liveships - Tawny Man. It just seems like the right order to me, chronologically, even though Liveships happens miles away from the other two.

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm going to read Fool's Errand by the sounds of things. I'd rather carry on with Fitz and the guys I know rather than read a complete new series of books with new characters. Fool's Errand supposedly clears up a lot of the loose ends at the end of Assassins Quest, that appeals to me. The end was awfully rushed IMO.

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Newfie - Sorry, I have not read Kay. But I agree with you on Greg Keyes. The second book, The Charnel Prince, is almost as good as the Briar King. It would be just as good were it not for the ending. Unfortunately, the Blood Kinght, book 3, will not be out until this summer.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

*throws stuff at Barmy*

The ending of Assassin's Quest is perfect - so bleak and depressing. The 'clearing up' which The Tawny Man does cheapens it IMO.

Also: Liveship Traders would be best to read first anyway - seeing that the plot of that is closely related to the plot of The Tawny Man (though it might not be obvious straight away - since it takes two books of waffle for Hobb to get to the actual point of the trilogy).

19. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

@Newfie: I've only read "Tigana" from Gabriel Guy Kay. It took some time to pick an interesting pace, but I found the narrative quite good at all times.

I'm starting Paolini's "Eragon" now.

20. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I just started reading The Crystal Shard (by you probably know who). I borrowed the first three books from a friend, finaly I get to read about the most amazing world I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.