1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newfie Banned

If I were to pick up a George R.R. Martin book, where should I start?

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Same question from me as well.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A Game of thrones

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Newfie - you would definitely start with "A Game of Thrones"

Plus, I agree with Aikanaro about the Hobb books.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  6. Newfie Banned

Cool, wasn't aware of that Taluntain but thanks for the tip. How about a note in the book reviews section which was the first place I looked to find the order they come in. Might prevent the same question popping up in the future.

[Good idea, will do! -Tal]

[ January 13, 2006, 15:10: Message edited by: Newfie ]

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished Dread Brass Shadows - it was very good. I have moved on in the series to book 6 - Red Iron Nails.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That's about when they start going a little South, JSBB.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yeah, so I am noticing. So far Red Iron Nails hasn't been nearly as good as the previous books.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Guns, germs and steel by Jared Diamond. I have heard very good things about this book and the idea behind the book is extremely intriguing.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Carnage and Culture was a better read, Joacq. Same basic idea, vastly different take on it.

Reading C.J. Cherryh's Forge of Heaven. It's quite good. The characterization is more solid than usual for Cherryh, which is nice.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Red Iron Nails - it definitely had a slow start but once it got on track it was pretty good.

I have, barely, started on the next book - Deadly Quicksilver Lies. I am not far enough into it to really form an opinion of it yet.

13. Newfie Banned

Just finished Gardens of the Moon (whew!) and don't think I am ready to take on Deadhouse Gates yet. So I picked up Poul Anderson's Conan the Rebel.

14. joacqin

Media:
    Never heard of that one AMaster. Diamond is a bit too much of a "scientist" for my tastes and too little of a historian but it is still very interesting the bits I have read.

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Victor Hanson, the author of Carnage & Culture, is probably too much of a historian for your tastes, then. Simply fascinating accounts of a few battles, and even more fascinating explanations of the whys and wherefors. Agree or disagree with the thesis--that Western culture produces more lethal wars, warfare, and soldiers than any other culture--it's still engrossing.

16. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Finished "Eragon" yesterday, starting "Elder" today. The whole story feels... rushed. Like if was more oriented to being a film than any other thing.

Then again, a quicker pace is always appreciated after WoT.

17. joacqin

Media:
    That does sound very interesting AMaster, the entire premise as to why Europe completely owned the rest of the world is fascinating.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have always wanted to read that Guns, Germs and Steel book but I have not managed to get to it yet. I will try and look out for it in the library.

19. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Stargate by Pauline Gedge. And no, it has nothing to do with the TV show or movie.

20. Newfie Banned

Started Deadhouse Gates and it is off a heck of a lot faster and more interesting than Gardens of the Moon. Or maybe that's because I know the world and characters a little better...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.