1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I just finished Petty Pewter Gods - it was an absolute mess.

I am starting on the next book Faded Steel Heat (which is the last one that I have). If there are no signs of a return to the quality level of the earlier books then I will probably not bother looking for any further Garrett novels.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well, the first Otherland book got much stronger the mid/late stages (or my mood changed)...and then fell apart at the very end. When the characters start saying stuff like, "it's the council of elrond!" and "an unlikely group of heroes bands together to save the world," and aren't kidding, it's time stop reading.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    JSBB - told ya' so. Don't bother (although I though Faded Steel Heat was better than Petty Pewter Gods, in no way did it recapture any of the "magic" of the first few books).

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    the train ride I have ahead of me is going to include taking a good long hard look at Jane Eyre... endeavour to catch the reins, indeed. :bang:

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yeah, so far Faded Steel Heat is a step up from Petty Pewter Gods but that isn't saying a heck of a lot.

Oh well, I picked up the first nine books together as a cheap package deal so I guess I will be happy with the good earlier ones and just forget about the later not so good ones.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished China Mieville's (spelling?) Perdido Street Station, and, um...

Well, I highly recommend him. He's up there with Erikson, with the caveat that he probably isn't for everyone--his imagination is a bit too bizarre for that. Take the world from the Arcanum CRPG, then remove all the dwarves, elves, dragons, and other recognizable fantasy critters. Now add in weird stuff along the lines of human females with scarabs for heads. Also add cyborgs, self-aware washing machines, science that's far different from what we know, and you'll have the very tip of the iceberg.

Sounds stupid, doesn't it? That's what I thought when a friend described it to me. Then he gave me the book and I started reading it. It's really, really good.

Currently reading Greg Keys' Charnel Prince. It's been at least six months, probably more than a year, since I read the first book in the series, and the distance is hurting me. I don't have a friggin' clue who the characters are or what the current crisis is. I think I need to stop reading (I'm about 60 pages in) and reread the Briar King first.

7. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Just finished Eragon by Chris Paolini - not bad, just started The Risen Empire by Scott Westerfield

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I finally found a copy of The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents at the library! Everytime I say that title, I picture Michael Palin doing his greasy emcee impersonation. :lol:

All of the Chris Paolini (sp) books - Eragon and the sequal - have heavy waiting lists. Or I could drive to Nowhere, Labrador and check out a copy. :rolleyes:

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I did a review of Perdido Street Station - it's not the wackiness that's the problem, it's the total lack of making that wackiness have something to do with the plot.

The setting is very good, however.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well I just finished 'Angles and Demons' and let me be the first so say that I hate Dan Brown's genius! :p

I couldn't put that damn book down for 2 nights in a row, and the book ends right as a sex scen is about to begin! That's the *last* place a book should end! :bang:

So now I'm deciding if I should read the 'Chronicles of Narnia' or if I should go out and buy 'Digital Fortress'. I seem to have fallen in to Dan Brown's books, and I really like the Robert Langdon character...I hope he's not only confined in 'The DaVinci Code' and 'Angles and Demons'. :rolling:

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    True to a point, but only to a point; the wackiness is integral to the setting, which in turn is integral to the plot, and the wackiness is no more strange than elves and dwarves and dragons and orcs and...yeah, you get the idea...it's just that it's not the sort of wackiness we're accustomed to.

No. Don't. I don't care how much you like Dan Brown, don't read that book.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Er ... no, I'm not sure that you quite get what I mean...

Probably spoilers ahead:

You have the setting involving civil unrest, authoritarian governments, class divides, species discrimination, dodgy underworld sorts, funky technology, and other good, original ideas.

And then you have the plot: It's about hunting giant insects.

My problem if that it turns all that juicy setting into merely colour - nice details, but not integral to the story itself. It doesn't hit the issues that matter, which have already all been set up. Instead the characters ... go kill bugs - bleh. How dull.

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I think you missed something important in the book. That you can boil the plot down to "hunting giant insects" and dismiss everything else outright tells me...

well, I'm damned if I know what it tells me. Point is, that's a gross oversimplification, and the elements of setting you mention all play a role in the plot. In some respects, the plot is merely a tool used to explore those ideas.

It does hit the issues that matter; an oblique approach remains an approach.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I do hope you'll give an explanation for your dislike for 'Digital Fortress'. From what others have said, it's just as good as the 'DaVinci Code' and 'Angels and Demons'. It can't be *that* bad. :confused:

Would you be more willing to recommend 'Deception Point'? :rolling:

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Kitrax

I'm with Amaster. Skip Digital Fortress. 1st off, because if you've read Dan Brown's other novels already, you'll detect early on just who the villain is. Also, iirc it's hist 1st work among the 4, and it shows. It's boring. Deception Point isn't as good as the 2 Langdon novels but it is light years better than the crapola that is Digital Fortress. However, if you're intent on picking it up, go ahead. Might as well grab a copy of Elminster in Hell as well if you're into (as Tal put it) literary S&M ;) :p

@Newfie

Yeah, we get lots of D&D books (which I don't read) Magic: The Gathering books (which I also don't read) and Dragonlance books (which I ALSO don't read :rolleyes: ) but our FR selection is qctually quite limited :( and while Martin has become quite popular recently (I latched on to him a long time ago though thanks to you guys), the demand for Hobb is still very small and Erikson practically non-existent.

I'm now reading Blood Storm by Colin Forbes. It's okay so far. Not nearly as good as his old stuff imo, the characters seem to be acting out of character, Tweed and Newman are getting kinda annoying in this one.

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I went to a Lifeline bookfest today and picked up a heap of second hand books cheaply ... but first, to finish Always Coming Home, which is not exactly the easiest thing to read.

And AMaster - guess it's just down to agreeing to disagree :)

17. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The last books I read were Richard E. Leakey's and Roger Lewin's Origins and Terry Pratchett's Thud!

Origins is a rather old book concerning human evolution. Bit outdated really, but not that awful.

Thud! was, well...Terry Pratchett. I loved it. But maybe he's getting a little too repetitive.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just finished "The Darkness that Comes Before" by R. Scott Bakker.

True its recommendation, this is a great book for anyone who is waiting around for the next Steven Erikson or George R. R. Martin books to come out because it is written in a similar style with events covering a wide area and no characters that are specifically "good" or "evil".

19. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm reading The Secrets of Harry Bright by Joseph Wambaugh. His characters and writing are very entertaining.

20. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Lord Of Chaos by Robert Jordan. I'm hoping to get all the way through the series so far. From what I've heard though, it might be best if I didn't :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.