1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    CVUrrently going therough Mercedes Lackey's Free Bards anthologyu - am gfoing through the last book and what can I say, i like. a bit cliched but doesn't mean it is not very, very good... also read the first book of the Hewralds of Vandemar trilogy, the Arrows of the Queen. Liked muchly.

On the side, I am reading Laurel K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry books. The first one was mediocre at best, far too heavy on description... I have some hopes for the second one but not many.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Arabwel - actually the first book in that series reads like a masterpiece compared to all of the others. I am not saying that the first one was good, just that the others are really really bad.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh lord, the Merry Gentry books. Awful, awful memories. Ara, I hate you for reminding me of those :p

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reading "Shaman's Crossing" by Robin Hobb and I have yet to make up my mind about it. I dont knwo what to think, the quality of her authorship shines through often but the story itself and where it is going, well, I dont know.

I also think that my recent readings of Jared Diamond to not go well with this book cause they seem to deal with similar topics except then that Hobb does it in a fictional way and by having recently read Diamond I cant stop myself from analysing it from a scientific and historical point of view which removes quite a bit of the fun.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Grave Peril - it was good and I look forward to reading book 4 - the only problem being that I don't have book four and I don't think the Scienc Fiction Bookclub is selling it.

I have started on Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. I am only about 10 pages into the actual story (although I am on page 40 of the book - I think that has to be the highest amount of non-story pages that I have ever encountered at the front of a fantasy novel) so it is far too early for me to form an opinion about it.

Edit: I am on about page 125 now - it is pretty slow going as every time I start reading it I seem to have to fight to stay awake. Maybe the series should have been called The Malazan Book of the Fallen Asleep. I actually nodded off to the point where I dropped the book yesterday. :sleep:

[ February 08, 2006, 16:17: Message edited by: JSBB ]

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I decided to try Robin Hobb. I'm starting with Fool's Errand. Or would Assassin's Apprentice be a better place to start? I see that they seem to have the same character, but I'm not sure. I picked up Fool's Errand because it looked quite interesting...

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

The Fool series is basically a sequel to the Assassin series so you would most definitely be better off starting with Assassin's Apprentice.

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Start with the Apprentice, Not with the Errand. The first half of the Errand dates you up on everything that happened since the Quest. And you couldn't savour all bad things happening without some background info. Besides, it's a huge spoiler to know that later books exist. I would never have doubted that Hobb would kill Chivalry Junior off. Am surprised she did not. She lied as she said she hadn't a sequel in mind.

Besides I'm through with the Deathhouse Gates. I think I start with the Memories next Weekend. Feisin was such a Malta! By the by, I start wondering, does anyone die here without being reborn? Instant rebirth and immortality, Ok, that's a little bit Black Company under the command of Bleys of Amber.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am reading Fool's Errand right now. You definitely need to start with Assassin's Apprentice. Hobb and Erikson rule.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    As they said, start with Apprentice.

Currently reading Peter David's One Knight Only, sequel to Knight Lite, and I'm disappointed. It's not nearly as funny as the first book was.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, since you finished Deadhouse Gates, I was wondering what you thought. I wrote a review (which is in the index)on this one a while back and I was wondering if your thoughts were similar. What I can tell you is that about half-way through Memories of Ice some of Deadhouse Gates will make more sense. Memories is a great book!

[ February 09, 2006, 07:19: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

They are all great books, Chandos! I wonder when the next one will come out.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hobb rules, I'm near the end of Fool's Errand after reading the first trilogy. The way her books engage you is incredible, I just can't put it down once I've started reading.
    Fitz and his adventures is definitely the best series of books I've ever read. I couldn't tell you a favourite out of them, they all rule. Hobb is my favourite author by far.
    I keep trying to read Gardens of the Moon as well, but it never really seems to happen whilst I have unread Hobb books knocking around (have the last 2 of Tawny Man and the Liveship Trilogy to tackle yet!)

14. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

@Barmy
    I followed my own advice, and got GOlden Fool. However, it's in a queue behind Gardens of the Moon, and Priestess of the WHite, Trudi Canavan's new book, which is great. Did anyone read the Black Magician trilogy?

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Finished it. Her books are always really moving. Again, made me sad at the end!!! She just has a thing for bitter-sweet endings doesn't she??

Incredibly good read though, I just want to read the next one now.

16. Harbourboy

I've almost finished Fool's Errand now as well. I see that does include some mention of his journeys to Chalced and Bingtown. These are the main settings for the Liveship Trader books and his comments make more sense for having read those books, but it's not a big deal.

17. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I absolutely love the Liveship series. Actually I love all of Hobbs books, but I haven't read the assassins trilogy in a while, and dont have the money for the rest of the fools errand series(i have Fools Errand).

Currently reading Star Scroll by Melanie Rawn...different view on dragons and magic thats for sure.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    Just read the first 3 chapters of Golden Fool. I have put it down for the night because my eyes are thrashing. This last week or so I've done entirely too much reading and my eyes are killing me!!

Looking good though. As always. I want to have Robin Hobbs babies.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@HB

the Liveship trilogy doesn't really have a big bearing on the Tawny Man trilogy. It just helps because you know what went on when they make these little references to it.

@Barmy

If her kids are anything like her writing: You want kids that'll have to grow up way tooo early and take more crap than anyone else in the world?? ;) :p

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Currently reading Peter David's Sir Apropos of Nothing, and it's rather funny. I've been chuckling every other page or so.

Also just finally found a mass market paperback copy of Deadhouse Gates. Do I need to reread Gardens of the Moon before I start it? I don't really remember anything from Gardens...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.