1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I agree with JSBB - I did find the characters underdeveloped in Gardens. But that is something that Erikson fixed in Deadhouse Gates, but he slowed down the pace of the narrative to do so. But I thought Gardens was throughly engaging, despite the lack of character focus. IMO, Gardens was just a great story. I going to go back and read it again while waiting for the release of House of Chains.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Dig by Alan Dean Foster. Got sidetracked by Agtatha Christie :/

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Reading The Great Gatsby for my English class for the second time. Brilliant writing style and all, but as a whole it doesn't really appeal to me...

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I got my grubby little hands on Exile's Valor by Mercedes Lackey so I should be spending many happy moments with tthat one - Lackety is a wee bit fluffy in her weriting but damn, Alberich is such an awesome character :D

5. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Currently reading Device and Desires by K. J. Parker. I love this guy's style and refreshingly mimetic approach to fantasy. Not quite as good as the Scavenger Trilogy so far, but still mighty fine. I'm not too far in yet either, and I have a feeling it's going to get much better.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    David Weber's Short Victorious War

When I feel the need for some spaceships to explode, Weber satisfies.

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Aiky, I just finished my Gatsby coursework, and never want to see it again.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished 1633 - it wasn't nearly as good as I had expected. It was trying to do far too much considering the length of the book. Besides the characters who were interesting in 1632 suddenly becoming dull and boring in 1633, what really annoys me is that they set up three seperate main plot areas and resolve none of them. From what I gather each one will have a seperate 1634 book to resolve it.

I have started on Princess of Wands by John Ringo. It has Ringo's usually pulpiness but it is actually fairly entertaining so far. I was about 90 pages in and wondering how on Earth the plot could possibly keep going for the rest of the novel when I was taken completely by surprise by the story actually ending. It turns out that there are at least two seperate stories in the book. I have not started the second one yet but I imagine that it will be further adventures of the first story's main character.

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The fifthbook in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Its quite allright, am about a 4th into it now. Cool series I must admit.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I want to have Alberich's bsbies. *is halfway through Exile's Valor* The book is decent enough, although Lackey's obvious self insert is rather annoying - and so very Mary Suey - but LAberich more than makes up for it.

and he so totally should have gotten together wth Selenay.

11. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I am reading a bunch of Russian short stories, by very many different writters. I think I will start "Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" trilogy by Terry Brooks before I am finished.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, I am halfway through "Golden Fool" and I am stunned that anyone could possibly recommend reading this trilogy before The Liveship Traders given that it contains MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR spoilers as to what happens in that series. For anyone wanting to get the most out of reading Robin Hobb, there is no question you should read them in this order:
    1 - Farseer Trilogy
    2 - Liveship Traders Trilogy
    3 - Tawny Man Trilogy

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just read the first couple of paragraphs of Fool's Fate.

14. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

For the first time: A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R.R.R.R.R. Martin.

I like it - I finished the first two books and am now reading The Storm of Swords. It's still good, but the plot seems to be dilluting somewhat - there are too many POV characters and not that much happens to all of them. This isn't going to turn into another Wheel of Time is it?

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Vukodlak - no, Song of Ice and Fire is much tighter than the ever rolling Wheel of Time.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Harbourboy, the order you've given is the order that's listed on SP and the order in which the books were written... So it's hardly surprising that it makes the most sense.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well Vukodlak, I am one of the biggest Martin fans around but I am sorry to say that I saw some WoT tendencies in the fourth book of aSoIF. Others disagreed with me though so I reckon you will have to make you own judgement. I however am a bit fearful as to where Martin is going, as an upside Jordan's latest was a step in the right direction and I still think he can salvage the entire series.

18. Harbourboy

Tal - there seem to be plenty of people around who think it is OK to read Farseer then Tawny Man, just because none of the Farseer characters are in Liveships, but I can now see that it would be disastrous to do so. Oh well, Golden Fool is great so far.

19. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Nah, nah, nah. I completely disagree. I'd rather have people read Tawny man directly after Assasin's Quest instead of not mangaging to finish Ship of Magic. I at least could not finish Ship of Magic until I've finished Tawny Man. And things only get interesting (but very then) with Mad Ship.

There is no need at all to read Liveship-Traders before Tawny Man. You just going to be baffled like Kentricken if someones pretends that her dragons were not real. But there is only a very vague story connection. It's the background about the elders that gets clearer, but that does not necessitate a preset sequence.

Vice-versa one can say reading Liveship Traders afterwards gives some background info on the elders and while dealing with different stories of different people in different places. Both trilogies give in a random manner fragments of the Elders away that together yield a bigger picture.

20. Harbourboy

Huh? The ENTIRE plot of the Liveship Traders trilogy is revealed in Golden Fool! How is that vague? Anyway, this is probably getting a bit off-topic so if anyone else wants to debate the order of Hobb books, we'd better start another thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.