1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished The Inheritors - for once Chandler actually had a good ending. It was a welcome surprise.

I have started on The Woods Out Back by everyone's favourite writer of schlocky fantasy (R.A. Salvatore). I must say, so far Salvatore really outdid himself of the groaningly corny scale - everytime Mickey McMickey (a leprechaun) says or does anything I start to :rolleyes: . :shake:

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

All this historical stuff I have to read to my university classes :(

4. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Black Juice (can't remember the author's name...)

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Guys, if you can find copies, I seriously suggest that you pick up copies of the Fletch series by Gregory MacDonald. You may remember them as Chevy Chase played Fletch in the first novel somtime ago. These are the funniest books I've ever read :D

I'm now reading Way of the Warrior, Book 1 of the Miyamoto Musashi series by Eiji Yoshikawa

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    _Memories of Ice_ by Steven Erikson - YES!

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Now THAT is a quality read, Chandos. Not like this "Magician" rubbish. 350 pages in and it still hasn't risen above the quality of your average Salvatore blah-fest. Erikson has great and memorable characters. Feist just seems to have bunch of people who do some stuff.

8. tarneshed_heat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

_The Chosen_ Ricardo Pinto,

very in depth, and hard to put down. But equally as hard to pick back up again for fear of never being able to put it down again.

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I agree with you, HB - Erikson is quite a bit better than Feist. BTW, _House of Chains_ is due for American release in August of 2006. I wish I knew why we were having to wait for so freakin long for books that were released everywhere else, at least so it seems, years ago. :confused: But I've never read anything by Salvatore...it doesn't appear I'm missing much though...

10. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I've just finished the best book I've read in several years: Assassin's Apprentice by Hobb.

While I seem to always judge everything by Martin's works....I'm not sure that even he can match up with her ability to bring her characters to life and evoke such reader response to their actions. I had a hard time putting the book down. The way she crafts her sentences -- one flows after another with such smoothness, as if someone is talking the tale -- effortless to read and impossible to ignore.

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Oh, good. I've been thinking about putting something by Hobb on my list, and since I've never read anything by her, that may be a good place to start. But Erikson is first. :grin:

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Spellbound - can't believe its taken you so long to read Robin Hobb, after all the praise she gets on these Boards. The Farseer trilogy is awesome, and I liked the Liveship Traders trilogy even more. For me, modern fantasy is all about Erikson, Hobb, and Martin. Nobody else I've read holds a candle to those three.

400 pages into Magician and it is actually starting to get a little bit better.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i'm definitely with HB on this one. at least with Martin and Hobb :p Haven't tried Erikson or Feist yet though. Witrh the exception of Feist's Faerie Tale which was actually pretty good.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I also think that Greg Keyes and Tad Williams are good. But IMHO, Erikson is the standard right now.

15. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Paul Auster - "Oracle Night"

16. Harbourboy

"Magician" is getting a bit better now. The first 300 pages were complete garbage but it's almost as if a different person took over the writing from that point on.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The standard IS Erikson, Martin and Hobb those three are neck and shoulder above everyone else. There are quite a few simmering just below those though like Mieville, Bujold, Keyes and a few more.

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Carey is actually every bit is good as those three; see Kushiel's Dart.

Currently re-reading Donaldson's Gap Cycle. It's damn good.

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I've read some of Martin, and to be honest, Erikson is superior. I have not read anything by Hobb, but still, as far as I'm concerned no one has come even close to what Erikson has accomplished with Tales of the Malazan, except Tolkien - and he's the grand master. ATM, I'm in the middle of _Memories of Ice_ and it's the best thing I've read since LoTR for pure accomplishment of narrative structure - so far. IMHO, "Memories" puts Erikson in a class by himself among the current fantasy writers. No one comes close.

[ November 10, 2005, 05:46: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

20. Harbourboy

Ah, Chandos, welcome to the club. Maybe that is why books like 'Magician' seem so shallow to me because Erikson has set such a high standard for me. Erikson's books are just so rich.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.