1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Reading David Weber's In Enemy Hands, and I have to say I'm impressed. This book, and the previous book in the series, might just be moving out of the realm of pulp military scifi.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished Princess of Wands - I actually liked it quite a bit. As with all of Ringo's work it is certainly no literary masterpiece but it is enjoyably pulpy and most definitely not sappy like the title might lead you to believe.

I have started on Bolo by David Weber. So far it has been fairly mediocre. The characters and plot are so predictable and cliche that Weber ought to be ashamed of himself.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@HB

while that's true, (that golden fool spoils the whole liveship trilogy) what Iago probably means is that while the events that happened in liveship affect the Tawny Man, it's not necessary to read it in order to fully appreciate Tawny Man. It just gives it more background because you actually know who these people are and what they refer to. That's what I think he meant. That's what I mean at least :D

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, but it means you could never really enjoy reading The Liveship Traders if you'd read Tawny Man first. Half the fun of Liveships is the slow revelation of the mystery.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Must Love Dogs by Claire Cook. I didn't realize it was the basis for the movie out, but it sounded good fro mthe blurb. It's not a book I would recommend though. Sarah Hurlihy (protagonist) is too much of an indecisive doormat for my tastes.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I just started _A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America_, since I'm almost finished with _Fool's Errand_.

But I don't get this part of the story: "Is Fitz really pretending to be Lord Golden's man-servant, Robin Hobb?"

Robin Hobb: "Why yes, Chandos. That's why he does many of the things he does in a large part of the story."

"Well I'm not sure I get it, that he's just pretending and all..."

Robin Hobb: "Don't worry, Chandos; I'll just repeat it 1200 times during the story. And at the end of every paragraph. I will also explain why he unpacks things, and opens the window and goes to the stable and sleeps on a hard bed, and...well...I'm sure you will get it at some point" ;)

"Gee, thanks, Robin Hobb. I should get it by then...I think." ;)

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Should have read the rest first.

If you're frustrated with Hobbs 'slow-pace' I'd suggest you give most fantasy books a wide-berth (save Eriksson, who bombs along so fast you lose what the hell he's talking about).
    Hobbs characters are by far the richest I've ever known, and the way she has advanced Fitz through the books is magnificent.

Brilliance.

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The theme with Fitz not being good as servant is followed through all three parts of the tawny man. He just wasn't raised that way. You get some more clues on the second and third part. Particularly the second part. There's a big hint on that at the end of Ship Of Destiny:

"You worry too much.... Humans live such short lives. I believe they have little impact on the world. So Wintrow will not be a priest. It is probably no more significant than if a man who was meant to be a king became a philosphical recluse instead."

"Oh, ship," she rebuked him softly. "Was that meant to be comforting?"

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It would seem that Hobb is deserving of her own thread. So, I responded on the topic thread for Hobb.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Bolo yesterday - it had a few good moments but for the most part it remainded far too cliche and predictable.

I have started on Beyond World's End by Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill. So far it has been quite good.

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I recently started "The sun also rises", by Ernest Hemingway.

At work (lunchtime) I am reading and old pulp sci-fi novel called "Return to the Stars" by Edmond Hamilton.

I finished "Player Piano", by Kurt Vonnegut. It was great. The ending was perfect. He consistently blows my mind.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Beyond World's End. I really liked it. The characters were interesting and so was the plot. On top of that the writing style was very good and surprisingly consistent for a co-authored book.

I have started on the next book in the series - Spirits White as Lightning. I am a little concerned about the level of co-incidence that appears to be going. There are two big co-incidental things so far.

The first will either turn out to really be a co-incidence in which case it will be a really lame plot hook, or, I am hoping, it is not a co-incidence and there is some sort of scheming going on.

The second co-incidence is just plain stupid.

Actually come to think of it there was a pretty big co-incidence near the end of Beyond World's End. It didn't bother me all that much at the time but it kind of looks like part of a bad trend now.

13. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I have dived into Wheel of Time again, along with my other millions of books. I am now reading:

Wolf Brother, Michelle Paver
    Bloodsong, Melvin Burgess
    Priestess of the WHite, Trudi Canavan
    Lord of CHaos, Robert Jordan
    Gardens of the Moon, Steven Erikson

And that's before I even mention my reading for my studies:

Interview with a Vampire, Anne Rice
    Frankenstein, Mary SHelley (yuck, I hate this book)
    The Aeneid, Virgil IN LATIN!
    about 4 English Civil War books, most of them by Peter Young.

I read way too much. My head shall explode soon, I think.

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'm about to start Deathstalker Coda by Simon Green and then I'm going to try Deadhouse Gates

15. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Jane Eyre

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Spirits White as Lightning - it was shockingly poor compared to the previous books in the series. I am going to have to go back and check out the first co-incidence mentioned in my last post to make sure that I didn't get the facts wrong initially because that co-incidence turned out to be completely unimportant to the plot.

I have started on the next book (Mad Maudlin). So far it has been decent enough. Hopefully it will stay that way.

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    David Weber's War of Honor.

Pretty good, actually. My initial reaction was, "oh, he's just artificially extending the series to get more money. No one could be as stupid as these politicians." And then I thought about real-world examples of idiotic, politically motivated military decisions (Iraq, Somalia, Lebanon, Vietnam, the pre- and early-war decisions Stalin made, Hitler, the utterly unnecessary slaughters of the First World War, and so on) and realized that, actually, it's not unbelievable at all. So I'm having fun with it.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I just finished Mad Maudlin - it was really quite good which was a welcome surprise given how poor the previous book was.

That being said, I still don't quite know what to make of some of these stupid coincidences that Spirits White as Lightning introduced - they have not had any significance to the plot so why would the authors include them? There is either some really weird long term planning going on here or they are just plain poor decisions. All they have done so far is to stretch plausibility to the breaking point.

Tomorrow morning I will be starting on the next book in the series - Music to my Sorrow.

19. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I've more or less given up on the WoT 200 pages into the sixth book. TBH, I just couldn't handle reading it much more. I will come back to at some point, but I've just started reading Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin. This will be the third time I've read it and it's still fresh each time I read it. I have the other two in the series, so there's no doubt I will fly through them before I move on.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just finished "The Golden Fool" by Robin Hobb. Great book. Now starting "Fool's Fate" by Robin Hobb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.