1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    The Vampire Mountain by Darren Shan. We read the first part of the series during school, and I fell in love with it. Too bad only the first 4 books out of 12 are translated into Finnish. I'll have to find the English versions.

As for the book, it falls somewhere between horror and fantasy. The vampires are different when compared to the common picture of vampires - for example, they don't kill their victims. Better not reveal the plot thoughoutly. If you're a youth like myself, I'm sure you'll like this one, so check it out. :)

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Darwin's Radio - Greg Bear. Excellent book.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yes, Darwin's Radio is quite good. One of Bear's stronger recent efforts.

Having finished War of Honor, I'm now reading Erikson's Memories of Ice. As expected, it's superb.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I just finished Music to my Sorrow - I liked it - it was at the level of the other books in the series - that is if you excluding Spirits White as Lightning which definitely stands out as a lone dud in an otherwise enjoyable series.

I really don't know what I am going to start on tomorrow morning - I don't want anything heavy as I only have two days before I take off for my business trip to China.

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Reread some Ringo or Weber?

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I settled on rereading Guilty Pleasures by Laurell Hamilton. The more recent books may be garbage but the first few Anita Blake books were quite good.

Edit: I managed to finish Guilty Pleasures and The Laughing Corpse (book 2 in the series). It looks like that will be it for reading until I get back from China.

[ March 10, 2006, 04:32: Message edited by: JSBB ]

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I'm still plowing therough Gardens of the Moon, but I've also started Fool's Fate, by Hobb.

I'm sad to have reached the last Fitz book, but at least I've still got Liveship Traders to read, and SHamans crossing.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Not another person who read Tawny Man before Liveships? *sigh*

Anyway, I am still reading Fool's Fate as well. It's great so far. There have been some quite emotional parts so far.

9. Daie d'Malkin

I read Tawny Man next because I wanted to know what happened next. I'm loving it so far, I'm about a third of the way through it. I'll be finished by Wednesday, since I've got 5 hours of train journey.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@JSBB

wow :eek: you must be some accountant for them to fly you around as much as they do, must be fun :)

just finished Ressurection, finale in the WotSQ by Paul S Kemop. Ending kinda pissed me off. I'm now back to The Dig.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished Memories of Ice, and it continued to kick ass throughout.

JSBB's earlier point about Erikson making overpowered characters seemed valid to me, until this book, which made it clear that the overall story arc is about a contest of gods. That being the case, it stands to reason that the players in the contest are going to be a tad, ah, powerful.

Now started Glen Cook's Tyranny of the Night. It's quite good, though not Erikson or Martin good.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I read Bedlam Boyz by Ellen Guon on the flight from Canada to Hong Kong. It was pretty poor although given that Mercedes Lackey wasn't involved in writing this one I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it isn't as good as the rest of the series. Oh well, I downloaded it for free from the Baen Free Library so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

starting The Armageddon Rag by GRRM

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Just finishing _In Search of the Dark Ages_ by Michael Wood, and starting _Exile's Return_ by Raymond Feist.

15. Daie d'Malkin

My Fool's Fte progress was impeded by my friend giving me a copy of A Game of Thrones. Now I have to go and get Clash of Kings from my library.

I'll finish Fool's Fate tonight though.

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished Fallen Dragon by Peter Hamilton. I found it to be a rich and multi-layered story in the true SF tradition. It's interesting that the reason for the title doesn't become clear until near the end :)

17. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

just got done with "the king's own" by lorna freeman . the first book in the series(covenants) was more enjoyable imho but i can't quite say why? :hmm:

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Hmm, I've been lazy in telling you all what I've been reading (which admittedly hasn't been much).
    Since finishing The Gospel According to Jesus Christ (and not finishing Gatsby), I've read Midnight Blue by Pauline Fisk and Thoughtworld by Terry Greenhough. Both of them were random books I picked up cheaply, and made for nice light reading. Midnight Blue had a nice sense of the magical, while Thoughtworld had some nice imagery in parts, but was certainly nothing special.

Next I think I'll be moving on to Islands in the Net by Bruce Sterling.

19. Daie d'Malkin

I've finished Fool's Fate, and am now reading Clash of Kings by Martin, and The Fall of the House of Usher, by Edgar Allan Poe.

20. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

A hundred or so pages into Homeland. It's been a while since I've read anything in FRand I thought I'd get into it again before I start my next run through of Icewind Dale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.