1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    HB - It's been quite a few years since I've read "Magician" and compared to what was being written at the time, Feist did a pretty good job. And also consider that Magician was written in the 80s: There was Jordan, and the first two books of the _Wheel of Time_ series, which I thought was the best at that time; then there was David Eddings, whom I liked; the very average Dragonlance books; Terry Brooks' efforts, which I won't comment on; and Dennis McKiernan, who like many of the other writers in the 80s was inconsistant, ranging from very good, to abysmal. And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few - it has been twenty years.

But IMO, Feist is still a pretty good writer. Granted he's not as good as Erikson, or perhaps your Robin Hobb, whom I don't doubt is as good as you claim, and I have commented at length here on Feist's most recent work. While I think his work is pretty good, especially for the casual, or more mainstream reader, it is no where near what a demanding reader, such as yourself, would place in the first rank. Erikson requires a lot from the reader. Just the first two books alone, which are quite sizable tomes, appear to be almost exposition for the far more ambitious design that Erikson appears to be crafting with the Malazan series.

Everytime I pick up one of his epic masterpieces, the scope and the story's overall architecture appears to enlarge exponentially. Just when you think he can't add more characters, Gods, mytholoical creatures, clans and tribes of lost civilizations, they appear quite literally out of the swirling dust of his world.

YET, while mortals ascend to become gods and mythological beings of fantastic power vie for power, Erikson still painstakingly renders the most insignificant infantry soldier with loving detail. There are so many great characters in this story that they are all hard to keep track of. And the most lowly soldier is just as important as the most lofty god in Erikson's world, and in the grand scheme of his story. I could go on like this - but I'll stop now. :)

2. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I agree with you guys on Erikson, Martin and Hobb. But House of Chains in aug 2006 (I assume paperback, but still)??? Midnight Tides came out, on paperback, about a year ago here. BTW,The Healthy Dead: A Tale of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach is coming out in december, while we're waiting for Bonehunters.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Exactly! This is what makes him brilliant, not the sweeping history and grand scale. Compare a minor Erikson character like Picker or Itkovian with a main Feist one like Pug or Tomas and there is no comparison.

It's still some sort of wierd mystery why his books seem to have been available for years in the rest of the world, but are only just now coming out in USA. Very odd.

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Right now I got three books goin' (I 've gotten ever so bored with the The first man in Rome series, so I've begun something new)... For light reading I have Eragon. Yup, nothing beats a fantasy novel when it's cold and rainy outside... Besides that, I'm reading Homers the Illiad and, of course, the last book in the The first man in Rome series by Colleen McCullough..

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    At the minute I'm reading Sharpes Company by Bernard Cornwell and I've just started the first of the Dragonlance Chronicles, Dragons of Autumn Twilight :) .

6. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I am currently reading The Swordman's Oath by Juliet E. McKenna, which seems pretty good so far.
    The previous in the series, The Thief's Gamble, is also very good. I'd strongly recommend reading it first too, as the sequel assumes you've read it.
    Both of them are solid, pretty 'serious' high fantasy.
    :borg:

7. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

After finally picking up a copy of Fight Club (I am woefully behind the times... the dangers of teaching "old" literature, I suppose), i've become a Palahniuk fanatic. Picked up Survivor yesterday (and Dune, so I can finally get that damned monkey off my back - he's been throwing bannanas with "Dune, dipstick!" at my head a lot lately).

All of that, along with trying to re-swallow most of John Steinbeck's major works and a great deal of scholarship in preparation for my Senior-level "Studies in a Major Author" class.

So, the next month or so of my life will be something like: Read. Teach. Grade. Pee. Read some more. (note lack of sleeping and eating).

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Y'know...based on why you like Malazan, I'd recommend reading Donaldson's Gap Cycle. Scifi, not fantasy, but the books share the virtues you're extolling there. The only caveat is that the first book is extraordinarily brutal, and the second only seems less so by way of comparison--so don't read them if you don't have a strong stomach.

I completely agree with your assesment of Erikson, by the by.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

re-reading the murder at hazelmoor by agatha christie, i cna never get tired to her stuff

10. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

R.A. Salvatore - Icewind Dale Trilogy

11. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Out of desperation, I am starting Jordan's "Wheel of Time" books again.
    :help:

12. Newfie Banned

[​IMG] God, you are desperate for a good read. I am not doing much better with WOTC new book "Whisper of Waves". Utter drivel.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@newfie

is that an FR novel? have you tried reading from that new "Priests" series? I've been thinking about getting the one that Richard Lee Byers wrote, but I'm traumatized by Bruce Cordel''s Lady of Poison which was one of the worst FR books I've ever read.

14. Newfie Banned

Stay away from the priest series, Enagonios. I have that collection and it is crap. The thief series was pretty good, so lay your hands on that if you can, especially The Yellow Silk.

If you can, grab the new series of books in the Age of Conan: the Hyborian series. This stuff is gritty, grim and dark just like Conan's world. It ain't Robert E Howard, but it's still a good read.

Also Del Rey has released all of Howard's works: the first being the Coming of Conan, the second,The Bloody Crown of Conan and the third forthcoming. Save the money you spend on WOTC novels, which have the equivalent of a thirteen year old's reading level and buy these masterpieces.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

oh okay, thanks newfie. of the thiefs collection i think black bouqet and the yellow silk are available. i was also kinda discouraged from that series because the only one i've read so far was the crimson gold and it was crap imo. i think the fantasy masterworks series has reprinted howard's conan stuff, i'll check it out.

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yesterday I finished The Dragon's Dagger and Dragonslayer's Return to finish off the Spearwielder's Tale trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. Despite some decidedly corny elements I actually found it quite enjoyable.

I then read The Hero by John Ringo and Michael Williamson. I wasn't expecting much but it was surpisingly very entertaining. However, I wouldn't recommend it if you have not read Ringo's Posleen series.

17. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Tolkein's Unfinished Tales. I'm intrigued by some of the backstories and history that he established yet never covered in LotR or Silmarillion, and I'm enjoying learning even more about the world of Middle Earth.

18. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I just finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. To be honest, I am not quite sure what to make of it. Book: Great! Arguement contained therein: Hmmm...

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

started The Magician's Nephew today :)

20. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

"How the Koala Lost his tail and other Australian short stories".
    Took 5 mins to read the whole thing. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.