1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Enagonios, C.S. Lewis' The Magician's Nephew?

I really should revisit Narnia soon.

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Gene Wolfe's The Wizard Knight

@Lai you mean you leave Narnia, how strange :lol:

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Indeed it is my gel ;) Uncle Andrew really is annoying :|

4. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I have some free time to read now. My choice is Ken Follet - The Eye of the Needle

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eye of the Needle is such a great book. The Eagle has Landed is just as good.

Lately I've been reading the Handbook of Epoxy Resins (real exciting).

6. Newfie Banned

Currently reading Midnight's Mask, the last in the Erevis Cale trilogy. Pretty good, halfway through.

7. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I like Ken Follet's books very much. Well maybe not all of them :p

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good point, Undertaker. Pillars of the Earth is a great book.

9. Newfie Banned

Yeah, Key to Rebecca and Triple are enjoyable as well, but Eye of the Needle is great. The movie with Donald Sutherland and Kate Nelligan is pretty good too.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Risen Empire, by Scott Westerfeld. Stereotypical scifi, in that it's got pretty entertaining and interesting technology and plotting, but, erm, minimal characterization. At best.

Fun, but forgettable.

11. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Darkness Visible by William Golding

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

will start the lion, the witch and the wardrobe tonight if i can do all my work without passing out :eek:

13. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Currently working on Nietzsche's "The Gay Science", David Attenborough's "The Private Life of Plants" and Benjamin Hoff's "Te of Piglet".

Slow progress. I'll get to the end of them, eventually...

Waiting for the next volume of Robin Hobb's Soldier Son trilogy.

But the last book I read was Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal". Bit of a Pratchett fan... :o

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

what's with the :o face? :) the boards are filled with Pratchett fans, I'm also now one of them :D how was the 1st book in soldier's son?

15. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe

err... Galaxy

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Re-reading "A Storm of Swords 2: Blood and Gold" by George R. R. Martin, in preparation for "A Feast for Crows" which I got the other day (I've forgotten everything that happened in the other books, I think).

17. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Oh, the first soldier son book was :love: ! As are all Hobb's books in my most humblest opinion. I'm head over heels with the way she plays the readers feelings. You actually find yourself arguing with the characters (No! Why'd you go and do that for!) and hope that the character would wisen up.

It's so great that for once a fictional character isn't just some kind of a narrator voice hanging in the ether, or a person with an amazing luck, who just does the right thing getting to the right goals without any actual effort. This is rarer than one would hope, but in Hobb's books (and in some other cases as well) it happens. Her characters have depth, and they grow as people.

On a different note, I'm waiting for Iain M. Bank's next novel as well. And those Ian Banks -books aren't bad at all either.

[ November 21, 2005, 08:13: Message edited by: Ichor ]

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I just started some kooky book from the 1930's called 'Topper Takes a Trip' that my sister got for free when the library was trying to get rid of stuff. It's ... interesting. Magical realisticish, maybe, though I haven't gotten very far.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have started on Red Death by P.N. Elrod - so far it has been forty pages of fairly dull character introduction and what appears to be a rather poor attempt at setting the stage for the beginning of the plot.

I find this bizarre given that Elrod normally jumps right into the plot, typically making you have to figure out what is going on along with the main character.

Heck, everything about this one is below Elrod's normal level - hopefully it will get better once the plot starts moving.

20. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

'Black Gods and Scarlet Dreams' by C.L. Moore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.