1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which Sorc Spell to Pick?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Isshy, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Chaos is OK, but even confused, enemies will still attack you, just not use their spells.
    Pierce Magic is sort of ok, but it lowers MR slightly worse than Lower Magic Resistance(if you are level 20, Lower MR lowers it by 30% and Pierce Magic by 20%). Also, it does not dispel 9 level protection, so you'd need another spell anyway. I'd just use Lower Magic Resistance and Ruby Ray on seventh level.

2. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I can't believe nobody mentioned invisible stalkers yet? :confused: It's one of my favourite spells in the game. These guys deal a fair amount of damage, have decent HP, stay around for ages and it appears they can't really be confused...

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's because summoning spells depend heavily on your party makeup. Solos often need summons more than a 6 person party might.

4. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ya and I already have spiders on my sorc and animate dead, monster summoning etc. on my cleric, I think I have enough summons (maybe gate later)...How does this sound?

*Lvl1:
    MM, Friends, Identify, Chromatic Orb, Spook

Lvl2:
    Invisibility, Knock, Melf's Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Web

Lvl3:
    Fireball, Flame arrow, Haste, Melf's Minute Meteors

Lvl4:
    Spider Spawn, Stoneskin, greater malison + what else here?

*Lvl5:
    10 Breach
    11 Chaos
    12 Lower resists
    15 What do I put here?

*Lvl6:
    12 Death Spell
    13 Protection from magical weapons
    15 Improved haste? (for making the R/C truly a bad@$$ but then again I already have regular haste)

*Lvl7:
    14 Project Image
    15 Ruby Ray of Reversal
    17 What here? Spell Sequencer? Mordenkainen's sword? (another summons :p ), mass invisibility?

Lvl8:
    16 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
    17 Spell trigger
    19 What here?

Lvl9:
    18 Time Stop
    19 What here? Spell trap? Chain Contingency? Gate? Wish? (I have 18 wisdom)
    20 Do you even get to level 20 in SOA? If so what here?

Remember I have a Rager/Cleric, Yoshimo (later on Iomen I guess), and Keldorn along with the sorc.

[ February 25, 2005, 06:07: Message edited by: Isshy ]

5. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Since you have Keldy, you can take down mages quite easily. So you might not even get a chance to use breach, secret word, pierce, rubyray, ect... :)

Lv4 : Improved Invisibility (+4 to AC and saves, and if you put on the cloak of non-detect almost mages can't target you)

Lv5 : sunfire (ignores magic resis), great use in Spell trigger

Lv6 : improved Haste (double atks)
    Chain lightning (offensive spell), great use in spell trigger

Lv7 : Mordenkainen sword. It immunes to physical and element dmg, great tank
    Spell sequencer : greater malison, confusion, web. Or stoneskin, improved invisiblility, mirror image onself

Lv8 : Symbol stun (target must save at -4 I think)

Edit : you get to pick lv9 spell at lv18, but you can't make it to lv18 anyway :D

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't see mentioned the fact that you can change your spells. Click on the spell you want to remove. Remove it and add the one you want. Rest and you're on your way with new spells. Experiment around a little.

7. Isshy Gems: 7/31

She's a sorcerer not a mage Nakia so I can't change my spells.

Minh So, thanks I wasn't sure what level I could get to. How does keldorn take down mages easily? With Dispell?? Sunfire will hurt my party that i use to protect the sorc...dont think I'll use that.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sorry, Isshy, I was thinking in general.

9. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Isshy, it seems like you don't like to hurt your party. :)
    6) This way, Chain lightning is the first choice for you on level 6, and then - Death spell.
    Improved Haste is also very good for your dual-wielding NPC, but if you have regular Haste, you could wait a bit for that one, and choose Protection from Magical Weapons instead.

7) Spell Sequencer is of no use if you'll have Spell Trigger. Mass invisibility is good, but then don't pick improved invisibility.
    Project Image is very, very good, yes, also Mordenkainen's sword and Ruby Ray.
    If you need mass protection from undead, 1-3 level spells and mass healing, take Limited Wish.

8) Is good, and there are no GOOD spells, other than two spells you mentioned.

9) Sorry, no way in SOA.

With 5 level spells: after you pick protection from magical weapons, you alone can go in the heat of battle and unleash a Sunfire or two. Cone of Cold also work this way.
    Don't pick Animate Dead, especially if your cleric has it: Mordenkainen's sword is much better.

10. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Keldorn, as an Inquisitor, has the most powerful dispel magic (speed 0, and it acts at double his lv). It cancels all combat protetions like stoneskin, protect from magical weapon, mantle and some other protect like mirror image, mislead,...

Sunfire goes thru magic resistant, it's fire element, so the good thing is that you can resis it easily with equips or spells, bad thing is that there're many enemies can do it as well :D

That's just my style, I like offensive spells, walking among bad guys and loose sweet destruction :shake:

When your sor get to high lv (12 maybe?), you might wanna leave all your party behind, and if you don't mind some spoiler about equipments you get in the future :
    SPOILER :

- staff of magi grants you invisible just by touching it
    - cloak of non-detection makes you un-revealable
    - robe of vecna reduces your casting time by 4

END SPOILER

Btw, are you going to play ToB ? That makes your sor even far more powerful. You can cast a bunch of spell in single round :)

11. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Minh So, I agree with you on the point of Sunfire, but

SPOILER

Cloak of non-detection only makes you un-revealable if you Hide in Shadows, for a sorcerer it is useless, because sorcerer uses Invisibility.

End SPOILER

12. Isshy Gems: 7/31

You guys are awesome :D Thanks for all the help!! Ya I already have the robe of vecna...it's sweet, and I knew about the other 2 already so no spoiler for me. I don't have TOB yet and probably wont until I run SOA a few times...but I will get it at some point. I just turned 12 and got Celestial Fury for Yoshimo and it's backstabbing time :) . I am thinking of passing on Mordenkain's because I have tough r/c with Simulacrum hat so I think i might have enough summons/tanks. I"ll probably go improved invisible intead of mass invisibility because of the armor/save bonuses. Can you cast both spell sequencer and spell trigger or is it just one or the other? Is Power Word Stun any good? As far as dumping my party I'd sink like a rock, I'm not experienced enough (ME not my characters). Thanks for helping me to narrow down my picks. I'ts pretty hard to pick spells when you don't really know what your doing and I appreciate all the input everyone. This is probably the best forum I've ever used for any game (warm fuzzies...maybe it's the beer).

13. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Power word: Stun is good in SOA, yes.

SPOILER

Your apprentices at Planar Sphere can make you a staff that stuns enemies WITHOUT a save with ANY number of HP ! :)

END Spoiler

You can cast both Spell Trigger and Spell Sequencer. ;)
    Don't worry, by the end of the game your character would be far more than it is now.

14. -s_c- Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The fun of a sorc is never running out of firepower -- important during an improved alacrity barrage -- so I like to have at least one attack spell at each level.

Your spell levels 1-4 look OK. I'd use skull trap instead of fireball -- more controlled area, and the damage cap is higher. At level 5 sunfire is nice, (invis+) PFMW, then send the sorc in ahead to nuke. Cone of cold is useful for really tough ToB battles (esp. if you're doing Ascension) when everyone becomes resistant to magical fire, magical energy, etc., and might not be a bad final level 5 pick.

One spell you should get immediately, though: Contingency. Fire it off mid-battle (mid-round, even) on 'see enemy', and get a free spell/round in. Very useful for replenishing Minute Meteors, Stoneskins, Mirror Image (heck, you should always have a Mirror Image contingency going anyway) while casting something else at the same time.

Higher level spells: Mass Invis -IS- mass Improved Invis. So you can get that, though I like sequencer or Mordenkainen. The only cloud spell I'd get is Incendiary Cloud, since there aren't so many other useful spells at 8th level. Pierce Shield (the 8th level one) IS helpful, though -- esp. when you run out of 5th level spells and you need to lower an opponent's resistance.

9th level (you can't get these if you don't install ToB): Definitely Chain Contingency -- maybe even before Time Stop. Again, load it up during a battle (with 3 horrid wiltings; or 3 Mordenkainen's -- on yourself -- if you want cavalry), then cast something else. Then Wish. Gate is useless -- if you like demons, use the 8th level version or your cleric's. Why would you ever want a Pit Fiend instead of a Planetar!?

15. Minh So Gems: 6/31

My bad, that cloak only works with the Staff of Magi :)

Isshy, seeing that you're gonna skip Mordy sword, I must insist that Mordy is the ultimate physical and element tanker. Some big bosses hit really hard that no-one can survive 3 hits (talk about insane-mode), oh but maybe there aren't that many in SoA, doh :doh:

About lv5 spell, there's another great choice is Spell Immunity

16. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

slight Spoiler

Just tried Staff of the Magi + Cloak Of Non-Detection. Pretty cool, these Drow casting their True Sights on and on... :) This way, Power Word: Blind is becoming completly useless :)

17. Arawn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

This is my list.

1 MM (only necessary) friends (even more money) identify(for convinience) chromatic orb (works quite often) spook (fear spell with a heavy penalty)

2 Mirror image (very handy defence spell) Web( for spiders hard to resist) Acid arrow(damage) Resist fear( scared npcs happens very regulary) Glitterdust (partyfriendly AoE spell.)

3 M Meteors (+5 weapon kills trolls and kangaxx and golems with equal ease, only partly reflected by spell protection so you will interupt mages)
    Skulltrap (tremendous damage, good for mining approaches, pure magical damage)
    Slow( when you want a really easy fight.)
    Haste pretty good you could keep it on your secondary mage though.
    Dispel magic( getting rid of icky stuff)

Spider spawn( good fodder in the web, makes a lot of fights easy.)
    Stoneskin(Of course)
    Fireshield (when your sorcerer is tanking.)
    Greater malison (for the big fights could be on secondary mage though, swap it with farsight)
    Otilukes sphere( good way to save your friends and let him tank while you kill those who swarm him.)

5 Sunfire (damage ignores spellresistance awesome when the sorcerer is tanking.)
    Animate dead (supercedes spiderspawn eventually ,its 90% MR makes it excellent fodder against mages let them deathspell one and send forth another and see them waste all spells.)
    Dominate (works often, especially on summons, fun spell.)
    Lower resistance (to get rid of the boss monster in a spelltrigger.)

Breach or other spellremovals are not really necessary IMO, despite what all people say, mages cant handle the insect plagues or just skulltrap the protected mages into oblivion.

6 Pro/magic weapons (everything that can hit and is dangerous is stopped by this spells that means vampires and mindflayers cant to their nasty stuff)
    Chain lightning (party friendly damage)
    True sight (if you haven’t acess to Keldorn.)
    Disintegrate (for non treasure monsters like beholders(cool animation).)
    Mislead(perhaps but it’s somewhat cheesy.)

7 Project image (of course the trouble being that it takes all the challenge out of the game. There is no reason to cast another seven level spell outside the image)
    Limited wish (a lot of cool effects.)
    Mordenkainens Sword (immune to nonmagical damage laugh at all tanks in the game.)
    Prismatic spray (damage partyfriendly)
    PW stun perhaps (not so good for TOB)
    Or Finger of death instead of Disintegrate
    Tenser transformation is fun but not so effective.

8 Horrid wilting (best damage spell in the game)
    Spelltrigger (the best trigger 3 lower resist 3 sunfires 3 disintegrate etc)
    Maze( after you get rid of the MR you can use this and mop up the field until he comes back.)
    Simulacrum (a more balanced Project image.)

9Timestop(pure power but in good way IMO.)
    Chain contingency (3 wilting sets upon closest enemy, a lot of dead enemies instantly, this can be done when you see a horde coming at you.)
    Shapechange (cool spell especially the mind flayer who can kill unkillablel characters.)

Avoid Imprisonment and Wish they are rather cheesy as well IMO.

When you encounter a lot of non range attacking opponent do this: Stoneskin+ Mirrors+ Fireshield move into melee, sunfire, when it’s getting hot Pro/mag weapons, they will continue to hurt themselves on the fireshield, more sunfires, perhaps in the trigger when they are around you like flies.

18. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Wow, the first list without Breach ! :D

Yes, in SOA Skull trap and Sunfire or
    Delayed Blast Fireball vs Liches can be devastating.

Vs Irenicus\Torlegias I prefer Breach, however ;)

19. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Yeah, almost mages can't see thru invisible, I just whack them to death with the Staff of Magi. And the rest are liches (immune to breach anyway) and dragons (rare in SoA) :)

But liches don't inmmune to Inquisitor dispel, right ?

For lv5, I think spell immunity is pretty good :) immune to divination lets you play with mages till you get the staff, then abjuration, conjuration later

20. Atari Man Gems: 6/31

Chain Lightening baby, works wonders against slow enemies in great numbers. It just feels SOOOO right when you take them all out in one fell swoop! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.