1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who Do I give up?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by nico, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Jerky: anyone who can use warhammers can use the crom faeyr, its the 2 handed sword carsomyr only paladins can use.

I have:

Phycho Bob (Me - Monk)
    Minsc
    Aerie
    Jan
    Viconia
    Jaheira

2. Deano99 Gems: 9/31

what's the point Orgrimm?

having a party of that power is basically unrewarding! You don't even have to try in combat... u could let a dragon go at you for 5 mins and he wouldn't have killed anyone.

At the present in my party i have

Arkayn Freehelm (me)- 8th Fighter/18th Cleric
    Minsc-15th
    Keldorn- 15th
    Valygar- 13th
    Jan- 13/14
    Anomen (or did until he killed Saerk and ran off) so now it's Jahiera - 11/13th

This party rocks and managed to take out the shadow dragon without any problems and took out Firkragg!
    So not everyone needs a powerful party... some people actually use some spells and tactics!

BTW: can you get Anomen back or not?

3. Who Deany Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Orgrim is a POWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEERRRRRN GAMER. Whats the point in making your characters that high? You have to keep restarting the game, and most fights are so easy its boring, its no challenge or any fun.

And don't make fun of Mazzy and Cernd, because I completed the game with both in my party just fine. Mazzy finished the game at level 17, and she hit stuff loads and did quitwe a bit of damage. At leevel 22 she must be rock hard, and if you don't think she does enough damage, then get her a giant strength girdle, and make hert grand master in short sword,. Also make her a grand master in bow because archery is her main strength.
    Cernd is also cool. His greater werewolf form is what mainly makes him hard. He does loads of damage which also counts as +2, he is highly magic resistant and gets quite a lot of hit points. most of his stats become super human. he killed loads in greater werewolf form, you just expect your characters to be ten times harder than a Titan when you first meet them! You should be patient for your characters to go to high levels and they are all kickass in some way. Also some chara cters strengths lie in other areas than close combat. Before I shut up Ogrim, Cernd is NOT supposed to be hard in human form, he's supposed to be used for healing and other spells, nd turning werewolf. And by the way, get a life you stupid power gamer!!!

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm just interested. Do any of your posts concern anything other than razzing power gamers?

5. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

All of my chars are level 50 with stats at 25 and everyone ahs the best items over and over and I have 3058056789649572906792 gp.

/me waits for flames from Who Deany.

6. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Curious @ WhoDeany:
    How many times have you beaten the game?
    With how many different characters?
    Is it still fun for you?

Amon-Ra

[This message has been edited by Amon-Ra (edited December 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Amon-Ra (edited December 25, 2000).]

7. TheDarkOne Gems: 1/31

Currently My party is
    Me- 9/14 Kensai duelled to Mage (DEATH SPELL)
    Imoan- 11 Mage (poor little imoan)
    Minsc- 12 Ranger(u just have to take this guy)
    Jahiera- 11/13 Fighter/Druid (romance)
    Cernd- 13 Shapshifter (he is the Rock hard bastard)
    Anomen- 16 Cleric (3 healers, Good Turn Undead)

I find this works well with Cernd changed into a Greater Werewolf. Anomen with a Mace+2
    Jahiera w/ the Staff of Rynn and that cloak that can shapeshift her into a Troll :). Me duel wielding the Blade of Roses and some +2long sword that give me mind shield. Anomen and Minsc who just rool. and imoan with that short bow +3 from traemeet that creates it's own ammo!

The next time I play. I am gonna try
    Me- Choatic Neutral Swashbuckler! (need a good thief) duel wielding Katanas and Long Swords
    Korgan- Duel wield te two +3axes form the copper corenet
    Virconia- Evil Romance
    Minsc- see above
    Edwin- Best Mage (but I could never take him w/ a good party)
    Jan- Extra thief/mage for good measure!

8. Cuckoo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

OK, I'm cheating. I've used the XP cap remover utility and Shadowkeep to modify my main character as follows; dual class Mage/Theif with a base 75% magic resistance and a bunch of high level spells. I limited my memorization a little bit, from 5 to 10 memorizations per spell per level ( it's possible to memorize as many as 50 memorizations). I didn't take all of the spells, just a few that are particularly useful such as Lower Resistance, Breach, Spellstrike, Disintegrate, Death Spell, and Time Stop. In my opinion, having multiple memorizations of Timestop throws the balance off the most; with ten memorizations of Timestop, my main character was able to singlehandedly kill every tough enemy that he's met, from Dragons to Liches and so forth. I'm going to keep Timestop, but reduce the memorizations to maybe two or three.

My character is equipped with the Robe of Vecna, Boots of Speed, Bracers of Defense AC4, Staff of Rynn, Celestial Fury, Girdle of Hill giant strength, Ring of Gaxx, Ring of Invisibility, Amulet of power, and Cloak of Reflection. Of these, the Robe of Vecna and the Ring of invisibilty were added using Shadowkeep, the other items were won in the game.

I've got Minsc in the party, and he's using the Dragon Helm, Red Dragon Scale armor, bracers of defense AC6, Boots of speed, ring of regeneration, ring of protection +2, Crom Faeyr, Lilarcor, and he keeps the flail of the ages and Dragonsbane handy in his backpack. All of these were from the game; in fact, my main character is the only one I've "helped" other than removing the XP cap.

Jaheira's in there, and she's the one I give all of the staves and spears to.

Aerie's in the party (she's my sweetie, of course) and she's got a mace of Disruption and the best slings and bullets I can get.

Nalia is my other ranged weapon expert, and I give her the best bows and arrows I can get.

I rotate characters in and out of that last slot. I like to throw some variety in there. But I usually don't keep choatic characters for long-they're too disruptive, though their commentary is usually amusing enough.

So if I think that Timestop throws off play balance, why am I keeping it? Because without it I'd just end up reloading saved games all day long because the enemies always have spell sequencers and spell triggers and contingency spells and the quickest casting times ever seen, and it's less fun for me to be frustrated by liches who keep casting Timestop against me and interrupting my casting and killing my other party members instantly than it is for me to use Timestop myself, cast Remove Magic, Breach, and Lower Resistance, cast timestop again, and start laying into the bastard with my melee attacks while still in Timestop. No challenge, you say? Well, to me, playing BG2 is more about the story and the other things besides the all out combat. I enjoy a good fight, don't get me wrong, but I don't want that to be taking up all of my gametime. This isn't warcraft, ya know...

9. big_wiggler Guest

I don't know about the XP cap thing. It'd be more realistic if it wasn't there: You don't suddenly *stop* learning stuff in real life-ditto for the game.
    On the other hand, you have to play the game the way the developer intended to beat it properly.

10. Who Deany Gems: 1/31

In answer to Amon-Ra's question I have only had time to complete the game once, and I intend to complete it many more times, but not repeatedly with the same souped up character.
    And I'm not going to have a go at all power gamers I'm just having fun picking on Ogrim because he said mazzy and Cernd were crap on one of his posts.

11. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It was so funny - I had no idea about Yoshimos betrayal, yet i dumped him in favour for Jan - IMO a much better theif, and after i got back from the under dark, i walked into the copper coronet, and straight away, i saw him die..... I guess you had to be there.
    Anyway, i suggest you take someone who fits in with your playing style - i.e. take a fighter, eg keldorn, if you tend to rush into combat, likewise, if you like sitting back and casting spells untill something is dead, take a mage eg edwin

Of coarse this is obvious

p.s. is there a quest for minsc

12. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Just to clarify:
    I am probably the furthest thing from a power gamer, I assure you, but I can see that there is a point where the game loses its flavor and the only way to squeeze fun out of it is to cheat. Sad as it is, I have reached that point.

I NEED AN EXPANSION DAMNIT! Heh...

Amon-Ra

13. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Well I finished the game with the following party (Levels are guesses)….

Me – Ken De Monc – Monk 19th
    Keldorn – Paladin 18th
    Anomen – Fighter/Cleric 8th/20th
    Jan – Illusionist/Thief/Turnip Seller 12th/14th/20th?
    Mazzy – Fighter 20th
    Cernd – Druid 14th

Now I know that people knock Cernd and Mazzy and whoop themselves stupid over Edwin, but the point is that people need to pick the NPC’s that suit there own style. I had all of the NPC’s at one stage or other an frankly Aerie and Edwin were no use to me.

The reason for this is that I play the WHOLE party. I know that some people like to play the “chase me, chase me” technique of getting one of the monsters to notice you, run back o the party and they are all in wait to make a pin cushion of you, and that is fine if want to do that but I like it to be “more real”. As I use the whole party for combat I need them to have the AC and hit-points to survive and a little fighting skill if need be. Sometimes you are in a narrow area so the option of pushing your mage to the back for casting does not enter the equation.

Also I play “dead stays dead”, essentially if someone dies then I go and get a replacement, I do not reload. Again, it is just something that I like. I had Valgyar for ages but he died in the Underdark so when I returned I re-recruited Cernd (for his shapechanging and as a back-up healer). Of course I DO reload if I die (have to).

Now then all of the group had certain good and bad points but to those who think some of them are worthless here is a quick breakdown.

Me – Monks are VERY tough and at the end it was getting a bit embarrassing. I am starting again with a more “fair” character.

Keldorn – With the Holy Avenger he is AWESOME in fights and especially against spellcasters. Without him the Liches would have been a LOT harder.

Anomen – WAS annoying, then got his Knighthood and became AWESOME. He was now an excellent Cleric, Good fighter Crom Fayer and Flail of Ages if you please!!! In fact in the final showdown with Bodhi he destroyed a lot of Undead or made them cower at distance so the archers could finish them (suckers).

Jan – At first he was just comedy but soon he was the mainstay of my team/group. With his own weird equipment and some added he was soon a top-notch thief, able to open and detect at over 100%. In addition as my wealth increased I was able to buy him the spells to make him a top mage. He is the only member that died in the final battle with Jon Irenicus but all in all a good addition.

Mazzy – Little miss dependable. Had her at the back with a bow but she was also a very useful extra fighter when needed. With her bow she was firing about 5 or so a round (one of the bow increased he shots per round). With her Grand Mastery of Bows she was hitting about 99% of the time for 8-20 damage a time. With up to 100 damage a round. This was good against spellcasters who were unable to complete spells as they were getting fired at.

Cernd – Certainly was the “weakest link” in my group but came into his own as a back-up healer and when in Greater Werewolf form (mashed the Githyanki who wanted my sword – cheeky buggers).

As I say this group would not work for all (only one mage for a start) but it worked perfectly for me. All of the NPC’s could have fitted in I guess and with the right equipment would have been useful IMHO.

C.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.