1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's your favourite punk, rock band

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Like a lot of music genres, punk music comes from rock 'n roll. When rock 'n roll became more commercial in the early 70's, because of bands like The Rolling Stones, Kiss and David Bowie, punk music developed. Punk was widely known in the mid-seventies, with bands like the Ramones. They wanted to bring the essence of rock 'n roll back; to bring over a message of dissatisfaction about things. Punk musicians probably had a lot of competition from people who still made 'real', non-commercialized rock 'n roll, like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. Nowadays, the same as what happened with rock 'n roll, is happening with punk. A lot of bands, who probably want to get famous in a hurry, are making the music more commercial.

Anyhow, punk music is not one of my favorite genres, but I can appreciate it sometimes. I sometimes listen to music from the Offspring, or an occasional song from the Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go), the Ramones (Blitzkrieg Bop), or modern bands like Alien Ant Farm (Smooth Criminal).

BTW - Tenacious D is a great band, but they don't make punk in my opinion.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Correction Velve, that's what punk was. Not what it now is.
    Though some things that Blink 182 and possibly The Offspring are putting out now is rather pathetic. They both have very good older songs though.

3. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I know, to keep everyone happy lets just say whos your favouite band, but no rap, pop, hip-hop etc etc...

4. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Five Iron Frenzy. Numero dos (That's Spanish ;) )? Probably the RAmones.

5. Maccabree Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm not one for punk, but I do enjoy Pink--Pink Floyd, that is!

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    The Clash, all the way. Great punk died with Joe Strummer.

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Me liking those Clash-oldies too. London calling, I fought the law, Rock the casbah, Should I stay or should I go.

But there is this awesome song from whatever band -> I get knocked out, but I get up again, pissing the night away...

8. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Chumbawamba. That song became a hit which is really weird. They're a peculiar band and a number of the members used to be in another band...... can't believe I can't think of it, back in the 70's. Chumbawamba has been around since the 80's iirc and pretty much an underground following - they're really, really left as in ANARCHY!! type left - and then that song becomes a teeny bopper hit. Weird.

A mom and son in the same band is also a bit different.

9. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Misfits. Since when has Tenacious D been punk... :hmm:

10. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    their a kind of rock but that was included in the title "punk, ROCK " so if you want to be pickey I'll say Whitmore and FGC (Flame Grilled Chinchillas)!...

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Definately the Ramones and the Clash (if you consider them punk).
    I never really thought of the Offspring as punk, but I love their (earlier) music. I saw them in the gym at Western Connecticut State University in the early 90's (Smash tour) and the absolutely kicked ass.

12. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The Offspring are great!

13. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The Offspring were wicked with the Self Titled album, Firestarter, Smash and Ixnay, but after that they've turned into a big pile of Linkin Park like crap.

14. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Evanescence, Nighwish, linkin park and stratovarius

15. Acrones of the Old Order Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My faveriot punk band is Anti Flag greenday was punk but then got into the corprite crap like linkin park pink and all the other mtv bands that sound like crap!

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

There were a few good songs on Americana, though they were no where near as good as those before it. And Conspiricy of One just plain sucked.
    Ameorn, there is no way in hell that Linkin Park are punk.

17. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Of course they're punk, they were one of the bands that really made punk popular.

18. Tigress Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I like Green Day...whatever Good Charlotte and Bowling for Soup are, I like them too.

19. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Green Day is awesome, so's Boxcar Racer, Sugarcult.... oh, i forgot, Good Charlotte

20. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

Ameon, Evanescence are not punk. I'm really not sure what they would come under, most likely they are lumped into 'goth' because of their 'image' :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.