1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Winter King vs Tolkien

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Khazraj, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Tearktan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Personally I dont think either is better than the other. The they are both good books in their own right. But if I had to choose I would choose Tolkin

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Wow! That's a bold statement. Tolkien was Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. There are more than a few scholars (professionals) who have the opinion that Tolkien knew more about the English language than anyone else during his lifetime. He had devoted his professional life to literary studies in not only Anglo-Saxon, but the larger scope of mythology (feel free to think of mythology as storytelling). His fellow Oxford Don, CS Lewis was also a writer and together they formed the nucleus of a writers club at Oxford known as the Inklings, which devoted itself to storytelling and how the progression of language had changed the meaning of the orginal works. _Beowulf_ would be an excellent example of this. THAT is what makes Tolkien's work far less "amateurish" than the stuff that currently passes for fantasy, as JRRT's work is much closer in spirit to the old stories.

Joacqin, my friend, we have had this debate before. But I see that you have still not seen the error of your ways. You must still be under the influence of that medieval serial-soap-opera stuff of George Martin's. Now, he is an amateur, IMHO. :grin:

[ March 09, 2004, 00:43: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

3. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I am going to finally state that the Winter King series is far better than Stonehenge. There are so many parallels in the characters, plot, setting and writing style that it is almost hard to tell that they are even separate books! But go with Arthur, he's cool. No actually Derfel is the cool one...

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Chandos the Red, I actually agreed with what you said until you got up to the comments about George R R Martin being amateurish. Have you actually read his Song of Ice & Fire series? If you have, 'amateurish' is the last word that should be used to describe them.

Better than Tolkein any day...

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

the thing I'd really like to know is if what Merlin says about Mithra and Jesus is true. He says something like that Mithra was born in a manger by a virgin mother, surrounded by three kings, three shepherds and the like, and that Jesus is a stolen god.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yes, I read all of the first book, and about half the second one and then forgot to finish it. Maybe you are right about "amateurish," since there are probably a few amateurs who can write better than Martin. That wouldn't really be fair to them. :p

[ March 08, 2004, 20:26: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

the story Tolkien has to tell I find immensely interesting, yet the style in which he tells it, I find horridly complex and not that charming at all (lotr, silmarillion)

I'm be quite sure that if any attempt on publishing such a book(s) as complex as lotr today, it would be completely butchered by the publishers.

Though it really depends what kinda style you like. I found the Hobbit infinitely charming and easy to read, because it reminded of the feeling of being a child told a story by his grandparent by the fireplace. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.