1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizardry 8

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Enagonios, May 29, 2006.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@DS

Or click on the little "running man" icon on the lower right. After selecting what movement, walk or run, press the check to signify that you've made your move and after your enemies move you'll be able to move your party around to a certain extent.

Yes the Bard can lockpick. I chose neither, my psionicist does my healing. Also, stupid question, but how do I create potions? My ninja has an 18 alchemy skill already and iirc I'm supposed to be able to make basic potions already, right?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@DS:
    Hehe, you misunderstand my system. If I really like something, I'm in for $60, which covers any reasonably priced game out there. If I like something enough to buy it, I'm in for $30, which covers a lot of games but I'll probably have to wait a little while for the price to drop. If I like it, but not quite enough to buy it, I will take it for free (or as a gift) and not a penny more. Those and "don't like it" are the only four settings I've got. :shake: And unfortunately for W8's producers, it falls tentatively in the third category.

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Enagonios Thanks I found the little man, last night.

@Fel my system is if I really really like it I'll pay £25 ($40) for it, if it looks ok I'll pay up to a tenner for it. Otherwise I don't bother at all, unless it's free.

In other news I'm wandering round the castle-type place off the beach, man them roaches are vicious, all my characters are up to level 3 now.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    If I remember correctly having a faerie ninja in your party really helps. I may have to reload this game and play it again. I remember it being a lot of fun.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There's 3 reasons for that. 1) Faeries get an Armor Class bonus which augments Ninja abilities. 2) Ninjas are often/usually developed to rely on instant death strikes to kill monsters. If you play your cards correctly, you can get away with neglecting Strength for a Faerie Ninja. 3) Only the Faerie Ninja can use the Corpus Cane, a really funky weapon.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Beren

Corpus Cane is what kind of weapon? Because stat-wise I've only been building my Faerie Ninja (level 8) with dex and senses and with critical strike, thrown weapons, long rage weapons and minor on alchemy. Is this a good build?

Also: how do I use my alchemical skills?? :confused: I have loads of light and moderate healing potions and a ninja with 18 skill in alchemy, how do I merge these potions into heavy healing??

Also, to anybody, please advise on what realms to put spell points in and what spells I should get asap. I have a psionicist and a mage and with both I've been neglecting the earth and divine realms and just noticed now that the earth spells are pretty good.

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cane of Corpus is classed under Staff & Wands. Its primary attribute is Strength and its secondary attribute is Dexterity. Even so, I wouldn't worry too much over the strength thing. You don't get the weapon for its damage, but its other effects on targets. ;)

As for where it is, you'll have to seek out a spoiler cause chances are you'll miss it if you just play the game casually.

Psionicist - You should grab Heal Wounds very early. In addition to licking your comrades wounds, it also starts an early buildup of your divine mana. An Earth spell won't be available until he can access 3rd level spells, when Chameleon can be used. Not a terribly useful spell, but you can cast it every time it wears up to build up your Earth Magic and Psionics skills. I would get Hypnotic Lure first though, very useful spell for large scale combats.

Mage - Chances are you would have gotten Energy Blast, Frost and Sleep when he could only access 1st level spells. During 2nd level spells, you could grab Enchanted Blade (useful for melee combat) and Web (sometimes useful for combat) to start your early buildup.

8. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

With weapons like Cane of Corpus against a target with more levels then the party don't expect all effects to happen but is still the best weapon in the game .
    Just started a new party
    Alchemist Male Gnome
    Samurai Male Hobbit
    Priest Male Dwarf
    Ninja Female Felpurr
    Bishop Male Gnome
    Ranger Female Elf
    I plan on getting Summon Elemental for all of them , should be fun .

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Just go to Trynton with 4 level 9 and 2 lwvwl 10 chars. I've been building them wrong.. so I think I'll have to restart :rolleyes: :bang:

10. Incarnate Gems: 5/31

What problems do you have ?

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I was putting spell points in the wrong schools and stuff. Anyway, I restarted with the same party except now I've ditched the fighter for a Samurai.

Quick question, If I start as a Samurai, do one level of ninja and add points in stealth, and then switch back to Samurai, does my stealth skill increase as opponents attack me even if I can no longer add to it during level up?

Also, as I've already asked a couple of times :p I still can't figure out how to use the alchemy potion making skill :confused: how do i do this? do I go into inventory? if so, is there a specific command I have to click on, similar to the identify function?

Anyways, my party now is:
    Mook Samurai
    Mook Ranger
    Mook Bard
    Gnome Mage
    Elven Psionicist
    Faerie Ninja

For my Mage I plan to abandon more or less absolutely the water and mental schools and focus on divine, fire, earth and wind. For my psionicist, I plan to abandon water and focus on fire, air and to a lesser degree, earth and divine. Water has a pretty crappy spellset imo. Or am I mistaken?

12. Incarnate Gems: 5/31

To make an alchemy potion use the merge items command in the inventory, is on the same level with
    identify if i remember correctly
    For your psionicist you may want to consider the mental realm for the for the Pandemonium spell

13. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

About stealth, no, it stays locked if you revert to Samurai.
    I remember there being a 'merge' button for combining items. You grab a potion or component (for Gadgeteers) you press the 'merge' button then you click on another potion/component.
    As for water, it depends what spellcaster you play. The Psionicist gets the least use out of water (only 3 water spells, all of them low level). The Priest gets a good deal of buffs (including Rest All). The Mage gets raw damage spells (plus a few mass paralysis water spells). The Alchemist gets a mix of buffs and raw damage spells (one of his 7th level rd spells is water).

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Oh, thanks guys. yerg, guess I wasted that level of ninja. Yeah, I'm definitely focusing on the mental realm, just forgot to mention it previously hehe.

15. Setzer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

@Enagonios

You might want to check this site out, it's helped me alot with character building...

LINK

The party I finally ended up going with is...

Lord/Human/Male
    Samurai/Human/Male
    Monk/Human/Female
    Ranger/Mook/Male
    Gadgeteer/Gnome/Male
    Bishop/Elf/Female

I just left the Monastery and I'm on the road to Trynton. My characters are level 6-7. I must say some of the battles have been pretty tough, in fact I had to reload a few times on one. I was in the upper part of the Monastery and things were going pretty smoothly, most mobs I had encountered up to that point had 10-30 HP's at most, then I encounter a pack of rats with over 70 HP each and there were 6 of them. Had to reload several times before I was able to defeat them and on top of that two of my characters are diseased and losing HP everytime I rest. My other problem is keeping my stamina up, it seems like during battles I'm constantly trying to keep my characters stam up with spells and potions.

16. Beren

Media:
  17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The important thing about Wiz 8 is to play it how you want, IMNHAAO. Develop the characters the way you see fit, and try not to obey those such character guides too much. And experiment with character builds.

That is all.

18. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

My time for a question, my characters are level 5 and I'm pottering about in the lower monastery and upper monastery. How can I improve their searching I'm sure I'm missing stuff.

I'm not using a walkthru or character guides, I'm just winging it, and I have the following characters

Dracon Male Fighter
    Human Female Valkyrie
    Dwarf Male Priest
    Hobbit Female Rogue
    Faerie Female Mage
    Mook Female Bard

And another question how does a Bard use instruments and what do they do? (I don't read manuals either)

19. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Hmm, hearing (or rather seeing) you talk about this game raised some interest in me... I might aquire it, however, I would like to have some questions answered first.

Is there alot of roleplaying, i.e. quests and talking with deep dialogues?

What's the ratio between fighting vs. talking?

Can you talk your way out of some fights?

Does the game allow for both evil and good actions? Can you play through the game being evil?

How is the character development? How does it work?

What kind of world does the game take place in?

20. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@DarkStrider: To use instruments, you need to have said instrument(s) in your Bard's inventory. Click on the 'use item' button (lower left of main screen if not mistaken; it's been a while since I played it) then select the instrument (this applies mainly during combat). The instrument's effect is explained it its description.

@Bahir the Red: Wizardry bears no resemblance whatsoever to the gameplay of the Infinity franchise. The closest 'relative' would be the Might and Magic series. The gameplay is very similar to that (with a few exceptions).

P.S.: Bards and Gadgeteers r0x0rZ j00 b0x0rZ. Rangers are also nice (Auto-searching ! Yay ! Ranged criticals ! Yay !).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.