1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizardry 8

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Enagonios, May 29, 2006.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Indeed, a lot of character guides suggest that Ninjas can't tank it and that they should only snipe for critical hits from the back rank. I beg to differ. Arm a Ninja with a pair of nunchukas from the start, and he'll be knocking a lot of monsters unconscious in the early going. If his martial arts skills take off later on, that means many many hits that have a chance to knock a monster unconscious or kill outright. And should you be lucky enough to get a *Light Sword* ...

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    O.K. now I have a huge hankering to reinstall this game and play it again.

Does the game play in a window or is it a full screen? I ask because I've become hooked to having dual monitors and being able to do two things at once (especially when it is the monsters turn to move).

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Snook I'm playing it full screen, but I suspect you can window it, if you wish

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Any more answers to my questions?

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Not really much character development since in IWD-style youy create your entire party, but there are recruitable NPCs similar to those in ToEE that have a lot of personality if you don't mind the xp drain.

There's a lot of fighting and it can get pretty tough, but fights can be avoided by just running out of view and circling around the enemy, fights don't just happen like in Final Fantasy.

The setting is a planet called Dominus, your typical RPG world that has roughly 5 species living/visiting it.

6. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Bahir

Hard to give a ratio for combat to roleplay. The game is LOADED with combat. At the same time, you have to make definite choices about who you'll side with, whether to make people work together and so on. Despite any choices, your road inevitably takes you on a showdown with your nemesis.

There are also two very important general concepts behind character development.

1) What attributes you choose to advance with each level is very important. Some attributes are better suited to certain professions than others. (e.g. Intelligence for a Mage, Strength for a Fighter). Having a higher attribute also makes advancing certain skills go faster. (e.g. increasing Dexterity means that skills like Martial Arts and Music advance faster with practice). Another key choice behind attributes is what Elite skills you want your character to have. Ideally you pick two attributes and advance them 3 points each level to the exclusion of everything else with the very point of obtaining Elite skills as fast as you can. (e.g. Strength of 100 gives your Fighter access to the Power Strike skill).

2) Skills - Your choices here are important. However, practice makes perfect. Cast a Fireball spell often enough, and your Fire Magic and Wizardry skills will increase. And they'll increase faster if your Intelligence is high. There are also plenty of neat but cheesy ways to practice skills non-stop in certain situations so that you can nail a 100 if you're patient enough. The Flamestryke site that I posted gives out plenty of those tips. ;)

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Thanks. Well, since I'm fed up with all other RPGs at the moment, I might as well try this game.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    As part of my father's day gift I was left home alone for about four hours yesterday. After reading this thread I reinstalled Wiz8 and have been having a blast. I forgot how much I liked this game.

I'm going with

Faerie Ninja
    Elf Monk
    Mook Bard
    Mook Psionist
    Dwarf Preist
    Faerie Mage.

I know I will be weak in lockpicking, but so far I am having a blast. I just about cleared the lower monastery. I am already dreading the Arnika road for if I remember the last time I played, this is where the monsters are ramped up to above your level. I spent a lot of time finding places to hide and rest while roving packs of mages would get out of my way.

Little Snook is also clamoring for me to load it on his machine as he was having a ball watching me play last night.

Thanks guys.

9. DarkStrider

My second party is

Dracon Fighter
    Rawulf Valkyrie
    Mook Ranger
    Elf Bishop
    Gnome Mage
    Hobbit Rogue

Cleared out the Lower and Upper Monastery, and got out to the Arnika Road. This was a serious case of wtf! As Snook says and I didn't know the random encounters are tougher, I had 2 which were just nuts.

The first was 18 Soldier Ants, 5 Higardi Roustabouts and 3 Higardi Cutpurses for a experience reward of 13000+ each. The second was 5 Crimson Poppies, 12 asorted Higardi and 11000+ experience each.

Having got past these and some smaller encounters, because I naturally went the opposite way to Arnika I found a Yak thing which had more hitpoints than my party combined!!

I've made it to Arnika, spoken with somebody called Myles, rescued someone called Vi and I still haven't really got a clue as to what I'm doing. It's Great.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just cleared the upper monastey and now I'm heading out to the dreaded Arnika road.

My front line seems to be holding up pretty well as my monk and ninja are racking up the kills. My mage and psionist are dealing mass damage to mobs and weakening the heck out of them. My bard is blessing and putting badguys to sleep and the preist is doing the normal, acting like a packhorse and healing everyone while throwing the occasional rock.

11. DarkStrider

OK I was in a graveyard, and there were these 6 blue runes which you could touch, so I did, and nothing seemed to happen WTF. I'm about to try and rob the bank. :D

12. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Wizardry 8 sounds interesting. I think I'll visit the software shop later.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

a legitimate software shop? in the philippines?? :D

@DS

those 6 blue runes do mean something if you've got a dagger. if you want a mild spoiler, i can tell you what they do.

14. DarkStrider

@Enag I was told about sticking the dagger in the bottom pillar and the mushroom rings. So I dug a dagger in there, went to the dungeon and got slaughtered by 3 scorchers, this despite having a missile shield, a magic screen and an element screen up.

My characters at this stage are level 9 and battles are still tough, I'm obviously missing something. Also there are oddities in this game, I used flash powder on some piercer Modais and found that the next round "Piercer Modai flees for his life" and wanders off without hitting anything!! He's blind, but can move perfectly normally?

At the moment I'm in Trynton, trying to find Rattus to tell him about the bank job I pulled which was wierd, as the vault had only had items no piles of gold! And then ther's the fun of trying to find anywhere, anything in the trees. I'm supposed to find someone on the fourth bough and I don't even know where the first is.

I'm thinking of starting again, replacing the Bishop with a Priest, and the Valkyrie with a Bard, and then levelling up more on the roads. The Bishop seemed a good idea but I think taking a pure 'Divine' caster will be better. And a Bard is so useful when you see some of the instruments that come along later.

The new party will be:
    Fighter
    Ranger
    Bard
    Mage
    Priest
    Rogue

15. nior Gems: 24/31

@Enagonios, well for the last 4 years, I've only bought 2 games, I guess I can afford legit at DataBlitz. :grin:

Btw, I've read about your Samurai wasting a rogue level to obtain the stealth. I did some readings at the FlameStryke. It seems that the technique was to increase stealth to it's maximum, then level up. That way, you get a workable skill despite it's progress is already locked.

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't imagine playing this game without a bard. Now that I got the piercing pipes my bard is becoming a killing machine. I was on the Arnika road and was about to be overrun by 28 giant ants. Two blasts and they were all dead. It was sweet. I love my monk, but I kind of miss having a gadgeteer as I see all the missed potential as I pick things up.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@DS

same thing happened to me last game :D So this time I think I'll stay away from there for a while...

I've just exited the Monastery and am about to hit Arnika-Trynton Road. My party (and yes I'm now sticking to it! :p ) is:

Female Elf Bishop
    Female Mook Ranger
    Female Faerie Ninja
    Female Hobbit Bard
    Male Hobbit Rogue
    Male Human Samurai

For the veterans here (Beren or anyone else that knows as much as he seems to) does your gender have any importance in the game? Are there any gender-specific items or quests? Also, is there a "reputation" factor? Will people treat me differently if I kill the teller and guards at the bank and other similar acts? :confused:

@Nior
    ah, I see. I'm still a student and can't afford to buy legit games yet :D IIRC the only legit games I've purchased are BG and PS:T. Also, my FFVII for the PS is original but that's because I borrowed it from someone who doesn't want it back :D

Ah, kinda off topic this part, but do you know of any place that still sells Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS? I'd be willing to pay for a legit copy for this one :p

18. DarkStrider

@Enag under the temple in Arnika I found 2 necklaces of endurance (gotta love the ranger's spotting ability), both only usuable by females, also studded bras +2 (I kid you not).

19. nior Gems: 24/31

@Enagonis, I'm strictly a PC gamer, never really looked at stuffs of other platforms. And even as a PC gamer, I'm also quite out of touch with games too. You can check out SM MegaMall, there's a number of shops selling legit console games, even Toy Kingdom have some titles. Also AstroVision at The Podium. Sorry mate, I can only suggest places to buy but absolutely no idea of the availability of specific titles.

Actually went out shopping for Wizardry 8 last night, unfortunately the branch I got to didn't have it on stock. And reading DS last comment about the studded bras +2 is really peaking my interest. :grin:

20. Beren

Media:
    Yes, there are items specific to both genders though they're rare. And you can't always find them because they often appear (very) randomly in certain chests.

There isn't a general reputation factor like there is in the BG games. You have factional ratings instead. For the Umpani, Trynnie, Rapax, T'Rang, Mook, etc. Depending on what you did, they may be friendly, neutral, or your enemies. I think you can access this through your journal option.

And just like in high school, you can't keep everybody liking you. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.