1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Words of advice

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    He who reaches to a spruce will end up in a juniper. (A finnish proverb)

Means: don't overreach yourself. Or it's a rocky road ahead of you. Then again gin is flavored with juniper berries, so when life hands you a juniper, make G&T.

Or, on the flipside: Always go for the overkill. Works.

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sounds to me like the moral is: Don't walk into trees.....

3. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    That's sort of what I thought...

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

If in doubt give it clout (note: not to be used in the event of impotence) :D

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    In the case of impotence you should try wrapping an elastic band round it

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That would be called a tourniquet -- generally speaking a tourniquet is a bad thing to have on a part of the body you want to keep (stops blood flow, killing the part of the body downstream, usually leads to amputation).

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If I ever have a son (which is highly unlikely) I will tell him this advice, then, inspired by the above posts:

Don't do anything that might end with you losing your ding-ding.

Kitrax likes this.
  8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Never underestimate anyone or anything.

Never overestimate yourself. "The arrogant one always loses." - Chinese saying.

Patience is the key to any battle.

It's my belief that people generally know what the right thing to do is, so the only thing they really need is the courage to do it.

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    When taking a test: "When in doubt, "C" it out!" (we've noticed at my school that option "C" is the most common on tests :p )

Even if you are on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just sit there.

A word to the wise is......unnecessary! :p

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Kitrax, the "C" technique only works if the teacher made the key her/him self, and did it quickly to boot. Any bigger test these days has the key computer generated, so there's not necessarily an even spread and "C" is not necessarily the more likely answer. The benefits of having a machine with no prejudices do the dirty work.

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I still abide by the 'C' concept either way. One thing I know that happens just to creep you out is have the same letter answer like 5 times in a row. That or your answer sheet making pattern. I always have to change something, since it seems so... wrong.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

A friend of mine once did well on a test he was unprepared for by just going "ACDC" down the page...

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...aren't you just a stick in the mud. :p
    That's awesome. :D I'm going to have to try that one of these days when I'm really unprepared for one of my electronics tests. :rolleyes:

14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

If you want my professional words of advice on test taking (or even if you don't want them :p ) here they are:

1: Study for the frigging test! No excuses, no whining, just do it! (I'm basing this little nugget from the behaviour of the trainers on "The Biggest Loser")

2: #1 aside, don't be a moron and pull an all nighter -- it'll just tire you out and reduce your mental acuity for the next day.

3: Go into the test a little bit hungry. You should have some food in the morning but if you have a big breakfast the blood'll drop to your stomach and away from your brain. Plus you'll feel bloated.

4: In a multiple choice scenario, the first answer that you think of is often the correct one -- second guess yourself at your peril. Trust your instincts. It worked for Luke Skywalker, it can work for you.

5: You should be able to eliminate at least one if not two answers, improving your odds from 1 in 4 to 1 in 3 or even 1 in 2. Take the time to read the test items carefully before making this determination -- in most cases you have plenty of time to finish the test and there is no academic benefit to being the first one to finish. Even if you are then stuck between 2 viable answers, it's better odds than otherwise.

6: Be leery of absolute options.

7: Going back to studying, that should be done long before the test ever starts. If it's the night before and you haven't cracked a book yet, give it 3 hours at the most and then do something relaxing.

15. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

This kills me every freakin' time! The problem is that the logic always points to the second choice so I *have* to select it. At least I have been telling myself to go with my gut before every test... but still wimp out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
  16. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Same here. However I tend to loss less points as my second guess is, oddly enough, the MOST correct answer (VCE tests were evil)

17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The strange thing about studying is that if you actually do them, you learn stuff. Now isn't that amazing?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.