1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

X-Men III

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sydax, May 30, 2006.

1. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
  2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well yes, she could've been handled more properly, but then she would've taken more & possibly too much of screen time.

And it's too bad that "The Dark Phoenix Saga" is widely accepted as one of the best X-men story-arcs, but I guess it's not that much of a surprise, since there aren't that many good story arcs in X-men worth mentioning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big X-men fan, but even when the characters are great, most of the storylines aren't. That's a huge problem with most of Marvel comic books, and actually with most super-hero comics as well. Luckily there are few diamonds every now and then, but as "The Dark Phoenix Saga" is nice enough, it isn't exactly epic and groundbreaking. That's just my opinion.

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

As a film it was fun, not as fun as 2, but fun. As for the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga, how else could they do it? They certainly didn't have time to bring in the characters needed for the saga, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Empress Lilshandra, Dr Strange, Avengers, the Watcher etc etc.

At the end of the day, it's a film not a comic. It's not even a film of the comic, it's just a film that's based on a comic. Treat it and enjoy it as such

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

X3 rocked my mutant socks off.

Among many, many other comments, I'll say that it's about damn time that Storm got some real and meaningful screen-time and better use of her powers, bub.

Loved the movie, just as I've loved the other two. I'm a big fan of adaptations, myself - it's interesting to see what translates and what doesn't. However, [snik] you can never hold a movie to book standards or books to movie standards. You just can't - it's unfair to the filmmakers as well as to the authors. [/snik]

'Nuff said.

5. Faye

Media:
    Not being accurate to the source material is not a problem in my opinion. They didn't have to be so accurate in the "Phoenix Saga" as to bring in all the characters and backstory to it, as long as they manage to do it well. Case in point, they handled Wolverine's past in X-men 2 so wonderfully and it was way inaccurate of his true backstory. They didn't bring in all the characters involved (and even with Lady Deathstrike, her part in the movie is so different from the comics I don't even know where to begin). If only they handled X-men 3 the same way they did in part 2, it could have been a much better movie.

As for enjoying the movie for what it is (more as a movie, less as an adaptation), I tried. And I did enjoy myself (as stated in my earlier posts), but it could have been ALOT better. The wasted potential was the main source of much of my disappointment.

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

That was totally awesome.

SPOILERS from here on in:

Glad Scott kicked it. He was an arse.
    It's good they weren't afraid to kill off the characters. Having never read any of the comics, I wasn't particularly attached to most of them (although Logan pwnd), but I liked that what were considered untouchable characters, ie the main ones, could die along with everyone else; the main reason I absolutely hate super hero movies is the idea that bullets always miss the heroes. And watching so many mutants getting ripped to shreds was great fun to watch.
    Loved Logan slicing the faces off anything that moved against him in the fight scenes (complete contradiction to what I said earlier I suppose).
    Not sure why Xavier had Patrick Stewart's voice even when not in Patrick Stewart's body, though.

But, yes. Awesome.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

spoiler explanation:

Alavin, you remember the scene where Xavier was teaching the kids about ethics? They showed that body with Moira Mactaggert and were saying that it was fully-functioning but brain-dead and that it would be perfectly possible for a skilled psychic to occupy the body. That's what he did. When his corporeal body was destroyed, his mind went into the brain dead body.

8. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Oh, yes, I got that. I just didn't expect him to take his voice box into the new body along with his mind.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No idea what you're talking about here. Which scene is this? I don't remember that at all.

10. Faye

Media:
    Its a scene that appears after the credits so you'll only catch it if you sit in for the credits roll.

Spoiler:
    Technically he should lose his powers as well since he is now in a non-mutant body (unless the host body is a mutant who is in a comatose and has the same telepathic abilities ... which is quite unlikely, lol) which obviously does not have any mutations in his genome.

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, looks like a nice SPOILER was just spoiled. :grin: (refering to Prof. X and comatose patient.)

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'm glad I stayed after the credits!

13. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I stayed (as always) for the credits, but the cinema cut them about halfway turning ligths on and 'closing' de screen :( I wish I know what happens in that scene, because I can't find anything around about it...

Like Faye said, the wasted potential was the main source of much of my disappointment too; there are movies that last about 3 hours, why not to take de advantage of have so much to take from and make it last at least 2 hours? The movie is too rushed, like trying to say a lot and trying to finish all that very quickly... I hope the movie didn't try to fit what Hale wanted (she wanted to have 'all the attention' possible or she wouldn't do it).

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@alavin

ah, sorry, my bad. saw the movie while chaperoning my younger siblings so i had to explain what it meant, guess it got to be a kind of reflex :rolleyes:

15. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just saw X3 today.
    I think it was a good film, but just not... X-Men good.
    I don't regret watching it, but I found it rushed and was surprised (and not pleasantly) by the sheer abruptness and speed of the character kill-offs. Within about 20 minutes about half of the most popular X-crew were wiped out.

I really hope they don't make another one.

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I've never read the comics, so I had no anticipations in that regard. I did find the 3rd movie very disappointing though. The first one was good, the second was great, and the third was alright. Considering the buildup over the first 2 movies I expected the last one to be really good. I don't know if it was the move to a different director, or just because it's the last bit of the trilogy, but I thought the story was poor (especially compared to the 2nd movie), character development was nonexistent, and some of the dialog is so lame I wanted to pull my hair out. It felt more like "let's show off with cool special effects!" rather than "let's make a cool movie". Angel was completely useless, and added to this impression: he makes an imressive entrance, you get the feeling there's a major story arc coming along, and then it just goes nowhere. The whole movie's too abrupt. There were several threads that seemed to lead to something interesting (including Magento speaking of Charles in a surprisingly laudatory way) but again these go nowhere. It was all rather disappointing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.